Offline Projects/Volunteer Page
|Offline: Content Development|
|Offline: Tech Development|
|Offline: Download Library|
As with all the Wikimedia projects, the community is what provides the necessary energy and talent driving the Offline project. Please enter your general contact information in the table below so that you can find other volunteers who may be interested in your same geography, language, or tool development!
- Proposed meet-up: 2012 Offline Workshop
Conversations about the offline projects happen across a variety of mailing lists. Choose the ones that most interest you!
- Offline Wikipedia mailing list: This list is a place where technologists and practitioners meet to discuss the best approaches for using -- as readers or as participants -- Wikimedia projects and other MediaWiki-powered sites without Internet connectivity.
- Kiwix Developer list: Interested in doing some development for the Offline Reader Kiwix? Join this list!
- Kiwix Testing list: Love to file bugs? Want to help with testing the latest and greatest version of the Offline WIkipedia reader Kiwix? Here's your chance to be informed with updates and pleas for help!
Table of volunteers
Enter your location (city / area) and any way in which a fellow volunteer can contact you to take a copy or invite you to a school they know. Put your contact number / email / twitter / facebook url / wikia username / anything by which you can be contacted within a reasonable amount of time:
|Username||Offline language||Country||City||Contact||Primary interest|
|Alex Wafula||Swahili / English||Kenya||Nairobi||xelawafs [at] yahoo [dot] com||Development and distribution of offline software / content|
|Isaac Kosgei||Swahili / English||Kenya||Nairobi||kips8505izo [at] gmail [dot] com||Development and distribution of offline software / content|
|Samson Maosa||English & Swahili||Kenya||Nairobi & Kisii||coolsam726 [at] gmail [dot] com||Distribution of Offline Content & Spreading word|
|Anirudh Bhati||English, Hindi and Gujarati||India||Gujarat||anirudh [at] wikimedia [dot] in||Public outreach, distribution, volunteer co-ordination|
|Srikant Kedia||English, Hindi & Oriya||India||Orissa||wikiodisha1 [at] gmail [dot] com||Distribution of Offline Content, Public Outreach, volunteer co-ordination, etc...|
|Nikhil Sheth||English, Hindi and Marathi||India||Pune||nikhil [dot] js [at] gmail [dot] com||Offline educational software and content, Public outreach, volunteer co-ordination|
|Vaibhav Jain||English, Hindi and Sanskrit||India||Delhi||vibhijain [at] yahoo [dot] in||Public outreach and Volunteer Coordination|
|Kelson||English, German and French||Switzerland||Zurich||kelson [at] kiwix.org||Tech. and deployment|
|Adam Wight||English, Spanish||USA||SF Bay||adamw [at] ludd [dot] net||Programming; offline read-write access|
|AshLin||English||India||Pune||ashlin [at] wikimedia [dot] in||Offline Wikipedia for Indian Schools|
|Stephen||English, Swahili, Kikuyu||Kenya||Nairobi||stevewanjauwikimedia.or.ke||Distribution of Offline Content and content development|
|Nkansah Rexford||English||Ghana||Ghana||nkansahrexford[at]gmail[dot]com||Distribution and Promoting Offline Content|
|C. Scott Ananian||English, Spanish, others||USA||Boston||http://cscott.net||Offline read/edit/share for en:OLPC|
Ways to help
Interested in becoming part of the Offline Community? There are many ways you could help!
- Give media attention
- Spread the word (e.g., send out this Wiki!)
- Content creation
- Create useful sets of materials relevant for people to download and distribute in offline formats.
- For example, volunteer in creating the Offline Wikipedia for India Schools!
- e.g., a student from a college can download/copy and put the encyclopedia on the institute's LAN and proliferate it to everybody on the campus. Then groups of students can be formed to go to under-resourced schools in nearby areas and install it there.
- See also Distribution needs
- Sponsor CDs/DVDs/USB sticks for distribution
- Sponsor developers to execute outstanding projects in the project pipeline
- Develop partnerships
- E.g., corporates for funding
- E.g., government agencies for quick distribution
- E.g., computer distributors