PhilWiki Community/Board Meeting Minutes/2019/March 24
Jump to navigation Jump to search
March 24, 2019
- Present: Irvin Sto. Tomas (chair), Froy Beraña (vice), Ramon Olaño Jr., Anthony Diaz (secretary), Maffeth Opiana
- Absent: none
- Other attendees: Joseph Ciudadano (auditor)
- Place: Caby's Cabana, San Francisco, Naga City
- Time: 1:30 pm - 6:00 pm
- SEC Registration of PhilWiki Community
- PhilWiki Office Address
- Opening of Bank Account
- Borrowing of Equipment
- WikiGap Campaign
- Wiki Tutorial
- Outreach Activity in Catanduanes
- Other Matters
1. SEC Registration of PhilWiki Community
- There is an urgency to register the organization in the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Olaño volunteered to accomplish the forms and secure the necessary documents needed for DTI registration, Brgy. Business Permit and Mayor's Permit. To fund the admin expenses, Sto. Tomas suggested the collection of P1,000.00 membership fee and P500.00 annual dues from the regular members.
2. PhilWiki Office Address
- Sto. Tomas suggested renting a private space and request support from the WMF. Olaño suggested that Raul Roco Library is a strategic location of the PH-WC office. The body agreed to formally request for office space from the city mayor of Naga. Office space within the library will be requested. Diaz is the designate in the paper works with regards to the request. An appointment with the City Librarian and the City Mayor will be scheduled. The residence of Sto. Tomas is being considered as an alternative office.
3. Opening of Bank Account
- The President and the Treasurer are the designated signatories for the bank account. This will be used for the safekeeping of funds collected from the membership fees, annual dues, donations, grants among others.
4. Borrowing of Equipment
- PH-WC has able to request from WMF a printer and a camera. A Meta page will be created where members can request to borrow the equipment. Sto. Tomas who is taking care of the printer and camera is encouraging the members to utilize them. 500 images are the target number of photographs to be uploaded on Wikimedia Commons each month. The printer, however, should be stationed only in one place to prevent damages when transported elsewhere. This will be used in printing handouts, guides, annual reports, brochures, flyers, etc.
5. WikiGap Campaign
- Members are encouraged to participate in this campaign. A page will be created wherein a list of prominent and notable women without an existing article on Wikipedia are present. The goal is to bridge the gap in the low percentage of available articles related to women. The best editor will be awarded by the end of the campaign. The Philippines has joined the WikiGap Campaign led by Opiana. Everyone is encouraged to participate. Olaño suggested to come up with an environmental campaign using Wikipedia as a platform. A sticker campaign or photo contest was suggested as an activity in November.
6. Wiki Tutorial
- As part of the WikiTutorial program led by Beraña, which started in November 2018 and will end in April 2019, a capacity building activity of PH-WC members is scheduled in April in Virac, Catanduanes. The program includes a tutorial to improve the mastery of the basic editing skills, uploading of files and license familiarity at WikiCommons, adding references and proper citations for articles, and contribution of notable articles.
7. Outreach Activity in Catanduanes
- PhilWiki Community will be present at the Saringsing Writers Workshop at Catanduanes, in partnership with Parasurat Bikolnon Inc. Aligned with the writing workshop is a session wherein PH-WC members will engage teachers from the Department of Education-Division of Catanduanes on wiki editing. A board meeting will also be held after the training-workshop.
8. Other Matters:
- a. On Editing: members have raised issues on the uniformity of terms found on Bikol Wikipedia's interface. Since Wikipedia is a developing Wiki, articles are still lacking on content and prone to mistakes which are mostly committed by newbie editors. A solution to this is a daily and thorough checking of recent changes happening on Bikol Wikipedia.
- b. Internal/External link: internal link is much advisable. This is to maximize the use of Wikipedia.
- c. Standardized classifications: non-existent templates for categories are abundant on Bikol Wikipedia. This will be fixed by more senior editors who are knowledgeable on this technicality.
- d. WikiProject and Wikimania 2020: members are advised to secure passport this early so they can also apply for scholarships. More importantly, editing on the Wikimedia projects should be made frequent, so as the participation in PhilWiki Community events.