Requests for new languages/Wikipedia French Simple
Simple French Wikipedia
See also the second (but said to be the third) request (verified as eligible)
|←main page||Requests for new languages (Wikipedia French Simple)|
|Please read the handbook for requesters for help using this template correctly.|
Given that French is spoken widely throughout the world, both socially and in business settings;
Noting that an estimated 365 million people speak French as a second language;
Observing also that an estimated 500 million have "significant knowledge" of the French language1, 2;
Further comparing above figures to estimates of approximately 65-80 million native speakers of the French language3;
Arguing that having a Simple French Wikipedia project would expand knowledge to those unable to read the French Wikipedia;
Recognizing that the French language is very complex and decorative, though readily able to simplify:
Hereby is submitted a proposal to start a Wikipedia project dedicated to Simple French articles.
Arguments in favour
- Proposer: SweetNightmares 02:40, 18 February 2008 (UTC)
- In Favor : If English can have Simple English Wikipedia version the why not french? 188.8.131.52 14:56, 22 September 2009 (UTC)
- It would help English speakers trying to learn French, especially young people. This would be very valuable given the tiny number of native English speakers able to speak another language!
- Why do we depend so much on ISO 639 code to create simple language? Perhaps something to change?
- Seriously, who cares about ISO? Surely simplifying a language doesn't make it its own dialect/language. Does simple english even have its own ISO639 code? Because I cant find it