Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Old Devonian
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Old Devonian Wikipedia
|←main page||Requests for new languages (Wikipedia Old Devonian)|
|Please read the handbook for requesters for help using this template correctly.|
Old Devonian is an emerging langauge which has begun to be revived after becoming extinct around the same time as Old Welsh and Old Cornish.
Arguments in favour
- 1. Almost nothing is known for sure about this language. Any reconstruction is likely to differ from the real unknowable language more than the sister Old Welsh and Old Cornish languages do.
- 2. It has no extant writings (it may indeed never have been written down, and certainly never had its own orthographical tradition).
- 3. At the time it became extinct it likely differed from Cornish no more than North and South colloquial Welsh differ now.
- 4. Biddulph's reconstructions have little credibility amongst linguists and even he was no more than tentative about them.
- 5. Unlike Cornish or Manx, there is no recent speech community from whom some sense of continuity can be gained.
- 6. In case it's raised, same points in spades refer to Cumbric. -- 19 March 2009 126.96.36.199
This is really a conlang based on one person's idea of what an extinct language might possibly have been like. It should be proposed and evaluated as a conlang. AnonMoos 12:46, 9 September 2009 (UTC)