Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Taiwanese Hokkien
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikipedia Taiwanese Hokkien|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||zh-th (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Taiwanese Hokkien||Language name in English|
|Language name||臺灣話||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||維基百科||"Wikipedia" in your language|
|Project namespace||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||"Wikipedia talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Files should be uploaded to Commons, but if you want, you can enable local file uploading.
Notes: (1) files on Commons can be used on all wikis; (2) this setting can be changed afterwards; (3) uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info); (4) localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons
|Project logo||File:Wikipedia-logo-v2-taiwanese hokkien.png||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Taipei||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
This Wikipedia is written using a combination of traditional chinese Han and Bopomofo characters. I feel that "Taiwanese Hokkien" is actually separate dialect to "Standard Min Nan" such as at "Min Nan Wikipedia", in grammar and in writing. Because up until the 20th century, chinese was written in the literary language, which was uniformly read and understood by all literate chinese speakers of all dialects.
Taiwanese Hokkien is the home language of almost 15.000.000 in Taiwan.Taiwanese Hokkien is the Hokkien dialect of Min Nan as spoken by about 73% of the population of Taiwan
- Support - 此票為自薦票。"台灣話"是一門獨立而又優秀的語言，並且它的受眾也很廣，亦非常典雅美妙，完全可以成立台灣話维基百科。According to Glossika, Hokkien has an overall 73% of mutual intelligibility with the Taiwan dialect. (This can be contrasted with the Galician language having an 85% intelligibility with the Portuguese language )--宇帆 (talk) 13:04, 5 May 2013 (UTC)
- Support - I think Taiwanese Hokkien NOT Southern Min.DannyChan (talk) 13:09, 5 May 2013 (UTC)
- Oppose Vague proposal with no active test project. – Kaihsu (talk) 11:01, 7 May 2013 (UTC)
- Support - I strongly hope that the project of Taiwanese Hokkien can one day be realized, and I support writing our language in Chinese characters and ㄅㄆㄇㄈ characters. Now, the education of primary schools in Taiwan teach students Taiwanese Hokkien in Chinese characters.S205643 (talk) 03:30, 6 June 2013 (UTC)
The proposers of Taiwanese Hokkien will need to first submit a Request for Change to ISO 639-3 Language Code proposal to SIL International to retire the existing Minnan language ISO code by classifying it as a Macrolanguage.
Secondly, the proposers of Taiwanese Hokkien will need to submit proposals to split the Minnan Macrolanguage into All of its existing varieties, ie. Hokkien Minnan, Teochew Minnan, Hainanese Minnan, Leizhou Minnan, Zhenan Minnan, Hailufeng Minnan, Longyan Minnan, Taiwanese Minnan.....and so on. New ISO codes will need to be assigned to each and one of them. This can be done by completing the Request for New Language Code Element in ISO 639-3, then emailing the applications to SIL International. --Philip J (talk) 02:55, 7 July 2013 (UTC)