Requests for new languages/Wikisource Gujarati
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikisource Gujarati|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||gu (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Gujarati||Language name in English|
|Language name||ગુજરાતી||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||no indication||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||વિકિસ્રોત||"Wikisource" in your language|
|Project namespace||વિકિસ્રોત||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||વિકિસ્રોત ચર્ચા||"Wikisource talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikisource-gu-Rekha-large.png||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Kolkata||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||લેખક, લેખક ચર્ચા, સૂચિ, સૂચિ ચર્ચા, પૃષ્ઠ, પૃષ્ઠ ચર્ચા, પ્રવેશિકા, પ્રવેશિકા ચર્ચા||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Please install Narayam and the Webfonts extention and make Narayam active with Transliteration by default.||Anything else that should be set|
|submit Phabricator task (includes everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings)|
Gujarati is widely spoken language of Indo-aryan origin, with people spread all around the world. Gujarati wikipedia is developing fast with active participation of some regular contributors as well as some anonymous contributions. Same applies to Wikisource, there is a wide range of literature (falk songs, stories, literature in PD, etc.) which is being contributed on wikisource. Currently the users contributing there faces a problem of inability to type in Gujarati script, and hence copy/paste material, which is non-searchable due to language support. Hence we request to create subdomain for Gujarati language.
Arguments in favour
- Gujarati is one of the most spoken languages in India and it is also available on Google.co.in , and it is world - wide spoken language. Mahatma Gandhi - The father of Nation of India , was Gujarati , the one who was biggest contributor in movment of joining approx 562 states in Indepednent India , Shri Sardar Patel , dhirubhai ambani both were gujaraties.
I SUPPORT - Deep R. Ode , Vadodara.
- I heartly and strongly support to this request, because GUJARATI is the language which is spoken by around 55 million people. We spread GUJARATI language all over the world. We have very rich collection in our GUJARATI language. And I have to remind everyone that Mahatma Gandhi [Gandhiji] was a Gujarati, and today's famous personality like Mukesh Ambani, Anil Ambani, Ratan Tata, Pro. H. L. Trivedi, and many more are also from Gujarati spoken region. This would ofcourse benefit the people who loves Gandhiji and his values. - Munir Shaikh.
- I would very much like to see wikisource in Gujarati. May I remind everyone that Mahatma Gandhi was a Gujarati, and a lot of his writings could become available in original and be discussed. This would be of immense benefit worldwide to the large number of Gandhi admirers and followers. Ketki Dave.
- The allocation of wikisource domain to Gujarati means that generations of Gujarati diaspora, now in many countries worldwide, still speaking in Gujarati after being 4 generations away from home, will be able to connect with their history, culture and literature easily. Ketki Dave.
- This will also enable the Gujarati readership away from home to keep tab of, and relish new and contemporary Gujarati authors, poets, playwrights and other literature. Ketki Dave.
- I am very much happy, to see my native language GUJARATI on wiki. Gujarati is the native language of a large number of people. This effort will bring a huge resource to people who only speak Gujarati.By approving this request we can easily work in WIKISOURSE. Shah Hardik
- I strongly support to above request, because GUJARATI is spoken language in my state. We get our education also in GUJARATI language. We have very rich collection in our GUJARATI language. By approving this request we can easily work in WIKISOURSE. સતિષચંદ્ર 04:18, 6 March 2009 (UTC)
- I strongly support to above request, because GUJARATI is spoken language in my state. We get our education also in GUJARATI language. We have very rich collection in our GUJARATI language. By approving this request we can easily work in WIKISOURSE.--જીતેન્દ્રસિંહ 04:51, 6 March 2009 (UTC)
- I strongly support to above request, because GUJARATI is spoken language in my state. We get our education also in GUJARATI language. We have very rich collection in our GUJARATI language. By approving this request we can easily work in WIKISOURSE. I write many Gujarati article at wikisourse. --Ashok modhvadia 10:22, 6 March 2009 (UTC)
- Gujarati language, doubtlessly deserves a domain to maintain its solitary legacy of great poets, writers, historic people and culture. I firmly support the request! મહર્ષિં --Maharshi675 11:01, 6 March 2009 (UTC)
- let the whole world be benefited with the rich literatue of Gujarati language. I support the same. --Sushant savla 05:12, 7 March 2009 (UTC)
- I support above request as a gujju reader of wiki--Dkgohil 07:02, 7 March 2009 (UTC).
- As an admin of Multingual WS, I will help moving pages to a subdomain if it is created. I can read Gujarati. Yann 10:55, 7 March 2009 (UTC)
- I join all the above people in favour of subdomain for Gujarati. Among Indian IT Professionals, Gujaratis are on the second to none. I hope people from IT will also join our hands. Dr. Dinesh Karia(Talk) (contribs) 11:38, 2 April 2009 (UTC)
- This is really a great effort publishing gujarati materials, information on the net for global gujarati. I strongly support it. - નિમિત્ત (September 02, 2009)
- I strongly believed that it's very useful for all Gujarati community to share their own thought in own language. I support the request. - (Chirag Darji)
- I strongly recommend, there should be separate domain, because Gujarati are enough rich to use laptops and mobiles (for internet) but are not so rich in other languages (e.g. English.) if such facility is provided, they may use this facility very easily. Thanks- Yogi
- There are more than fifty million Gujarati speaking people, this itself is reason good enough for separate domain. I strongly recommend. - Kalpesh
- I strongly support to above request, because GUJARATI is spoken language in my state. We get our education also in GUJARATI language. We have very rich collection in our GUJARATI language. By approving this request we can easily work in WIKISOURSE.kvv.unique
- Support, per above--Andrijko Z. 20:50, 8 January 2011 (UTC)
- I supports the above request to create a new WikiSource subdomain for Gujarati Language. Because, Gujarati is one of strongest language. It have very rich literature. If the subdomain will be created, people may get knowledge of Gujarati Literature free. -- Nilesh Bandhiya 03:52, 6 June 2011 (UTC)
- We should continue editing this Wiki to provide the knowledge to the Gujarati people and anyone who belongs to this region in native. So everyone can use the globally available knowledge on Wikipedia.
I strongly support to above request, because GUJARATI is spoken language in my state & Gujarati is a mother tongue of approximately 60000000 people . We get our education also in GUJARATI language. We have very rich collection in our GUJARATI language. By approving this request we can easily work in WIKISOURSE. --Pranay Vadgama.
- There are only 127 pages in oldwikisource:Category:Gujarati. oldwikisource:WS:LANG shows that this is the 12th largest collection in the incubator (Russian is already moved to a separate project; संस्कृत is Sanskrit), so it needs to grow more before it is ready to move to a separate project. John Vandenberg 10:41, 7 March 2009 (UTC)
Before a request for a new language is considered, the localisation of the MediaWiki messages and the messages used in extensions used in WMF projects need to be done. Currently 26.82% and 2.27% of the work is done. The best start can be made by localising the most used messages first. Thanks, GerardM 13:27, 26 April 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks Gerard for your message. I am sure I, joined by all the others (proposors and seconders of Gujarati subdomain), will be able to carry out the work as soon as possible.
Thanks once again
Dr. Dinesh Karia(Talk) (contribs) 17:25, 26 April 2009 (UTC)
- There has been some progress in this area. Current numbers are 41.3% for MediaWiki and 6.9% for Wikimedia extensions, but at this rate it would take years to meet the requirements. I hope you guys can rally up some translators, as Ashok modhvadia cannot do it on his own... Cheers! Siebrand 23:11, 14 September 2009 (UTC)
- mw:Extension:Proofread Page which is used on Wikisource is 0% translated. --John Vandenberg 00:25, 15 September 2009 (UTC)