||fi (SIL, Ethnologue)
||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...
||Language name in English
||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...
|Language Wikidata item
||Q1412 - item has currently the following values:
- en label = Finnish
- native label (P1705) = suomi
- instance/subclass (P31/P279) = language / Finnic languages
- Wikimedia language code (P424) = fi
- writing system (P282) = Latin script, Scandinavian Braille
- number of speakers (P1098) = 5,413,380±0, 272,000±0
|Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.
||"Wikivoyage" in your language
||usually the same as the project name
|Project talk namespace
||"Wikivoyage talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)
||Files should be uploaded to Commons, but if you want, you can enable local file uploading.
Notes: (1) files on Commons can be used on all wikis; (2) this setting can be changed afterwards; (3) uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info
); (4) localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons
||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)
|Default project timezone
||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)
||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"
||Anything else that should be set
|submit maniphest task (includes everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings)
- The following discussion is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section. A summary of the conclusions reached follows.
- The wiki has been created at fi.wikivoyage.org.
Finnish Wikitravel has existed since 2007 and now it includes 1649 pages. Maybe the old users from WT Fi will come to contribute the Finnish Wikivoyage. Before WV moving to WMF there have been some users, who support the launching of Finnish Wikivoyage. Additionally the Finnish version of Wikipedia is really active with over than 300000 articles. --Kulmalukko (talk) 18:05, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
I'm wondering if the parameter project_native should be the English word Wikivoyage or something else (for example Wikimatkat). --Kulmalukko (talk) 18:05, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
- I support Wikivoyage name. We don't need to translate every project names, and this is good IMO. Stryn (talk) 08:02, 22 December 2012 (UTC)
- I think "Wikimatkat" would be a much more natural name for the project actually. Obviously not every project name needs to be translated (e.g. "Wikipedia" is pretty understandable to Finnish speakers as it is), but a monolingual Finnish speaker would have no idea how to even pronounce "Wikivoyage". Jafeluv (talk) 09:42, 25 January 2013 (UTC)
- Actually the pronouncing problem was the motive why I mentioned the Finnish version for the project name. But on the other hand the name Wikimatkat/Wikimatka may be mistakenly assumed to be connected with the Wikitravel, which is a direct translation for the name. And if the Finnish version of the name will be taken into use, should the logo text be translated into Finnish as have been made in the case of Spanish version of the logo? --Kulmalukko (talk) 13:51, 25 January 2013 (UTC)
- I support Wikivoyage. Like Stryn said. I think Wikimatkat or other translations (for example Wikimatkustus) reads a travel bureau or a help page of wiki. Gálaniitoluodda (talk) 16:29, 25 January 2013 (UTC)
- Hmm. Wikimatkat does sound a bit like travel bureau. How about "Wikimatkaopas"? That's literally "wiki travel guide", which would at least make the scope of the project more obvious while at the same time being understandable to Finnish speakers. Jafeluv (talk) 15:00, 29 January 2013 (UTC)
- Well, I'm not against "Wikimatkat" name. Do we need a voting? :) If we need a Finnish logo, I think that I can do it. --Stryn (talk) 10:49, 29 January 2013 (UTC)
- Personally Wikivoyage is ok for me. Most of the other language versions seem to keep the original name without translating. --Kulmalukko (talk) 13:06, 29 January 2013 (UTC)
- IIRC en: de: pt: it: all keep the fr: "voyage". Translations of the name were Wikiviajes es: and Vikigid ru: (the latter "wikiguide" would be written with Cyrillic characters). K7L (talk) 16:31, 2 February 2013 (UTC)
- "Wikimatkaopas"-a good name. But support Wikivoyage. Gálaniitoluodda (talk) 16:46, 5 February 2013 (UTC)
I oppose keeping the name "Wikivoyage". As Jafeluv said, not everyone would have any idea of the pronounciation of "voyage". I add that not everyone would know its meaning, either. Even though English is well known, voyage is one of the lesser known English words. Declension would add to the problems: how'd we pronounce Wikivoyagen (genitive) or Wikivoyagea (partitive)? Wikimatkat rolling like a travel bureau is better than Wikivoyage not rolling at all. Plus, there's always possibilities like "Wikimatkailu", "Wikiretki", "Wikireissu" or "Wikiopas". Personally, I support Wikimatkat or Wikimatkailu. Enoirdi • talk 17:52, 6 February 2013 (UTC)
- I also oppose the English name "Wikivoyage" for a Finnish site. There are enough ugly Anglicisms in the Finnish language as-is and we certainly shouldn't intentionally introduce new ones. The "Wikimatkat" name has my full support; it doesn't sound like a travel bureau to me and I don't think it'll sound like that for the average Jill or Joe either; they probably know what this "Wikipedia" thing is and think "oh hey, that's probably a Wikipedia [sic] about travelling!".
For what it's worth, I'd also be interested in editing the Finnish Wikivoyage if and when it is created. --Jack Phoenix (Contact) 10:36, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
- The "voyage" would not be an ugly Anglicism but an ugly Frenchism, though :) Jafeluv (talk) 13:29, 19 August 2013 (UTC)
- In proposal, You wrote that there are 1600+ articles in Finnish Wikivoyage.In real there are less than 200 articles.--عثمان خان شاہ (talk) 20:46, 19 January 2015 (UTC)
- It was about Wikitravel, and Kulmalukko wrote that it includes 1649 pages. Please see http://wikitravel.org/fi/Toiminnot:Tilastot. --Stryn (talk) 21:05, 19 January 2015 (UTC)
- Kulmalukko: Wikivoyage/Wikimatkat
- Stryn: Wikimatkat/Wikivoyage
- Jafeluv: Wikimatkat/Wikimatkaopas
- Gálaniitoluodda: Wikivoyage
- Enoirdi: Wikimatkat/Wikimatkailu
- Jack Phoenix: Wikimatkat
So I would say that the name for the project will be Wikimatkat, when/if the project will be created. Of course other opinions are still welcome. --Stryn (talk) 12:26, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
- Then let the name be Wikimatkat. --Kulmalukko (talk) 13:22, 11 June 2013 (UTC)
Hi all, we are moving forward for this as a dump of Wikitravel data could be obtained. Please check whether all the settings in the table are correct. --MF-W 04:38, 16 November 2016 (UTC)
- Seems okay. --Stryn (talk) 07:57, 16 November 2016 (UTC)
- Yep, looks good. Per user:Kulmalukko, I had already edited the XML to match these settings. Acer (talk) 09:35, 16 November 2016 (UTC)
- Ok, good. When is the Fi Wikivoyage expected to be published? --Kulmalukko (talk) 05:42, 19 November 2016 (UTC)
User:MF-Warburg It's been a week, enough time for anyone who wanted to comment to do so. Can we move forward? Acer (talk) 09:11, 22 November 2016 (UTC)
- Bug T151570 has now been filed. --MF-W 16:33, 24 November 2016 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section.