Requests for new languages/Wiktionary Konkani
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wiktionary Konkani|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||gom (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Konkani||Language name in English|
|Language name||Konknni / कोंकणी||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q34239 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||no indication||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||विक्शनरी / Wiktionary||"Wiktionary" in your language|
|Project namespace||विक्शनरी||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||विक्शनरी चर्चा||"Wiktionary talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wiktionary-logo-gom prop 06.svg||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Kolkata||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||* Page titles should be case sensitive for the first alphabet (probably need to set $wgCapitalLinks)
* Set up Structured Discussions (Flow). This is the standard discussion system on the Konkani Wikipedia.
** Give Flow board creation rights automatically to admins on the Konkani Wiktionary (Add flow-create-board for gomwikt sysop)
* Install ShortURL
* Install AnonymousI18N.js
|Anything else that should be set|
|submit phabricator task (includes everything automatically, except additional namespaces/settings)|
I wish to open Wiktionary project for Konkani language. Vocabulary, meanings, usage and other dictionary-related information about Konkani language is scattered across the Web. I wish to see this project created, to give a wiki platform for such hitherto individual efforts.
About myself: I contribute for Marathi Wikipedia project in capacity of Administrator role. My page on Marathi Wikipedia is here: mr:सदस्य:Sankalpdravid
--Sankalpdravid 08:03, 11 February 2009 (UTC)
Arguments in favour
- I think this a very good idea by Sankalp and I support this.
- Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 at 16:16, 11 February 2009
- A very good idea.
- Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 at 10:44, 12 February 2009
- Yes this is a very good idea. I would like to support this.
- Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 at 06:57, 6 March 2009
1) Konkani language is culturally distinct from Marathi and Kannada
2) Konkani has a rich repertoire of words, idioms and usages.
3) Konkani language is phonetically different, just as French and English.
- Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 at 21:45, 28 September 2009
4) Konkani is one of the nationally-recognised languages of India
5) It is a small language, and badly needs online support to grow
6) An online dictionary (such as Wiktionary) would help the language to grow
7) Even a Google Translate for Konkani is currently lacking
8) Presently, there is near a total lack of online support for the language
9) Wikipedia/media can demonstrate that it doesn't discriminate against small languages
10) Linguistic diversity and promotion of smaller languages is a good goal
- Preceding unsigned comment added by Fredericknoronha at 22:35, 29 October 2018
- i too am in favour of a konkani wiktionary...infact a konkani wiki...if need be you may take recourse to the GSB konkani-english online dictionary to see that it is indeed an independent languaage
- Preceding unsigned comment added by Capt.AkshayBangera at 02:19, 25 February 2010
- I am also in favour of a Wiktionary in Konkani. However, we must acknowlege that the language is written in a number of scripts, with the most widely used scripts being the Roman and the official Devanagari Script. In order to have a successful wiktionary, its important that both the Roman and Devanagari script are given equal importance.
- Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 at 22:29, 13 January 2011
- This is a good goal. Let's get it going, please Fredericknoronha (talk) 17:05, 29 October 2018 (UTC)
- Volunteers yet to be built up, but we can surely work on that! Fredericknoronha (talk) 21:48, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
Hello. Langcom intends to approve this project, as the activity criteria are all fulfilled. Please help us to move forward by filling in the table at the top of the page and discussing any settings that still need to be decided upon. Thanks! --MF-W 01:12, 27 March 2020 (UTC)
- The discussion regarding the site settings is on the following page: incubator:Wt/gom/Wiktionary:Initial site settings discussion The Discoverer (talk) 16:01, 30 March 2020 (UTC)
- @MF-Warburg: We have finalised and updated the settings above. Regards, The Discoverer (talk) 06:55, 6 April 2020 (UTC)