Science Wiki User Group
(DRAFT--Edit or discuss)
The purpose of this group is to improve cross-language coordination for Wikiplatform editors who work in scientific disciplines We hope to connect groups within Wikipedia and its related projects, and also to integrate those groups with the established international scientific community and its various organizations. We hope to grow, learn, and share our mutual knowledge and expertise in order to:
- Improve cross-language and cross-topic coordination. Many users with a scientific background show a working fluency in the English language, making it possible to centralize some discussions here. We will begin in English and consider translating this page in the future to increase accessibility.
- Increase social media networking, as part of a strategy of online scientific outreach. We intend to recruit scientists, researchers, and other professionals to contribute to our projects, and to inspire people to learn more about science.
- Develop and maintain an Academic Committee, which will provide peer-reviewed evaluation of different proposals and initiatives if necessary, bridging the gap between Wikipedia and the international scientific community.
- Coordinate with gender gap initiatives like en:WP:Women in Red to maximize their coverage and results, as well as other projects which seek to reduce implicit bias on Wikipedia.
- improve the use of open-access bibliometry and literacy on this subject.
Wikipedians in residence
- Open Knowledge Foundation Germany
- Natural History Museum and Science Museum, UK
- Naturalis Biodiversity Center, The Netherlands
- WikiJournal of Science (twitter @WikiJSci)
- "Topic Pages" by PLOS CompBiol, PLOS Genetics, and PLOS ONE
- GeneWiki Reviews
- WikiEdu - A ton of great courses at schools
- Science Source by WikiFactMine (twitter @TheContentMine)
- ISCB Wikipedia competition
- WikiScience photo competition (twitter @Science&Wiki)
- in odd-numbered year (2017, 2019) the competition is open and engaged to attract new uploaders and create networking in the academia.
- in even-numbered year (2020, ...) the competition is based on the uploaded good/quality/featured images during the previous two years.
- Many, many editathons/ edit-a-thons (we should create a summary page on meta where all local language edit-a-thons can be linked and multilanguage edit-a-thons can be created)
- 2016 Brazil - International Wikipedia Scientific Conference
- 2015 UK - Wikipedia Science Conference (wiki)
Automated table of WikiProjects, powered by Wikidata.
|User||Languages||Main projects & official roles||Interests & Experiences|
|Alexmar983||it-N, en-4, fr-4, de-3, es-3, nl-2, eo-2||Italian and English Wikipedia, Wikidata, Commons, Italian Wikisource ...||I am mostly interested in cross-wiki coordination, the role of Wikisource, Structured Data, Scientific Outreach, coordinator Wiki Science Competition, social media channels|
|Evolution and evolvability||en-N||English Wikipedia, WikiJournals, Commons, Wikidata||Academia-Wikimedia collaboration and outreach|
|Prometheus720||en-N, de-2, es-1, fr 1||enwiki's Wikiproject:Biology||Interested in assessment of the state of science Wikiprojects across languages, and aiding translation efforts.|
|starsandwhales||en-N, de-3||wikidata, enwiki's Wikiproject: Amphibians and Reptiles, simple wikipedia (specifically ecology & astronomy related articles)||I'm interested in improving Simple English and communication within WP:ToL in English.|
|Leiem||zh-N, en-3, ja-2||Wikipedia, Commons, Wikidata||I create and improve articles about chemistry.|
|Ralffralff||bcl-N, tl-4, en-3, hil-1||Bikol Wikipedia (WikiProyekto Siyensya), Bikol Wiktionary, Wikimedia Commons, English Wikipedia, and Wikimedia Incubator||I founded the local version of WikiProject Science in Bikol Wikipedia, and had been active editing science-related articles.|
|Daniel Mietchen||de-N, en-4, fr-4, ru-4, basics of several others||Wiki-wise, my focus is on Wikidata/ WikiCite/ Scholia, with frequent contributions to Commons and Wikipedias, occasionally other parts of the Wikiverse.||Interested in anything at the intersection between Wikimedia and scientific research (understood here to encompass all fields of systematic inquiry, including fields like social sciences or humanities), especially integration of Wikimedia projects into expert workflows, integration of expert resources into Wikimedia workflows, outreach about Wikimedia projects to experts and supporting science-related activities within the Wikimedia communities.|
- Outreach tools
- Teaching tools
This group was created as a spin-off of the Wiki Science Competition activities for 2019, when the need for cross-platform coordination emerged during the Berlin Wiki Summit. The User Group was created to allow coordination of science projects across different languages and platforms.
Steps & reminders
- 2019-03-30/31: First informal meeting in Berlin. The idea of the group emerged during this event and was later rediscussed at a small meeting during the last session of the Wikimedia Summit.
- 2019-05-26: First draft on metawiki.
- Alexmar983, Kruusamägi, Evolution and evolvability, and Ana Cravo from WMPT have access to a platform that was used as a first communication channel. All other users are free to request to join.
- Twitter: @wiki_science
- Facebook: ScienceAndWiki
- Telegram: Science&Wiki
Please note there are many other accounts related to various aspects of science and Wikiplatforms. Our goal is to list them all, crosspost, and retweet them if useful. Our channel will exist as a support for people without a social media strategy but also as a reinforcement of other people's activities, whenever necessary.
- Limnology & Oceanography WikiProject
- WikimediaSTEM (not active)