Supporting Indian Language Wikipedias Program/Support/Rohini
- Wikipedia username
- Email (optional)
Please tell us which existing Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Commons, etc.) and language versions you are contributing to, and some of your best contribution towards the project and movement. Please add relevant Wiki/external link wherever applicable
- Contributions to Wikipedia (English, Marathi); Wikidata
- Photos and slide decks contributed to Wikimedia Commons. Translations and adding meta-data to images.
- Recipient in the current round of project grants (Project Title: Community toolkit for greater diversity. Infrastructure costs such as laptop computers and Internet bills are not included in the grant amount.)
- Member of Simple Annual Plan Grants Committee (2017-'18)
- Speaker at various Wikimedia events.
- Former Wikipedian-in-Residence (pilot project)
- Former Chairperson of Gender gap SIG in India (2013-'14)
- Speaker at 2015 and 2016 Wikimania
- Member, Diversity and Inclusion Team, WikiConference India, 2016 (The team drafted a Code of Conduct, Friendly Space Policy, Guidelines for selection of speakers and scholarship recipients, and a complaint resolution mechanism.)
- Member, Incident Response Team, WikiConference India, 2016
- Details about all my significant contributions on-wiki and off-wiki:
What type of support you need
Why do you need this support (Internet)?
I live in a semi-rural area where there is no reliable broadband Internet service provider. A few local ISPs exist but they are extremely unreliable and undergo frequent unplanned downtime. Additionally, power outages affect network connectivity. I rely on my mobile broadband connection for all my current Wikimedia activities listed in the "Your Contribution" section and here. However, mobile Internet tariffs are significantly higher than those for wired broadband. Bandwidth caps and limits on data use (called Fair Use Policy) in mobile broadband tariff plans are low, as low as 8GB on my ISP. My data usage often reaches the monthly data transfer limit before the bill cycle ends, which hampers my activities. I am requesting a stipend so that I can subscribe to a tariff plan with a higher limit.
How will you use this in the next six months?
I would use the stipend to avail Internet services for all my current activities mentioned in the "Your Contribution" section.
Community discussion and endorsements
Please keep the discussion friendly, and note that the number of endorsements may not be the only way to assess an application's merit.
- Let infrequent internet connection not decrease their contribution.
acagastya 14:34, 18 February 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support I hope you get it. (I'm an applicant here, so I hope my support won't weigh any less here..:)) -- ɑηsuмaη «Talk» 13:39, 19 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Tiven2240 (talk) 10:28, 21 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support ----Rsrikanth05 (talk) 15:15, 23 February 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Chinmayisk (talk) 16:56, 24 February 2018 (UTC)
|Collapsed for now.See extended conversation on Rohini's t/p.Winged Blades of Godric (talk) 11:43, 1 March 2018 (UTC)|