Some questions regarding the obfuscating aproach:
- Will you be able to answer to an email only once, twice, or send an unlimited number of answers?
- Will you only be able to answer from the address MediaWiki send the message to, from a number of known addresses or from any address?
- How long will you be able to send the answer(s)? an hour, a day, a week, a month, a year, ten years?
- If one party gets blocked in a single wiki project (i.e. for email spamming) can you still answer with this system? Can the blocked party contest the block by mail?
- The system can only be used while the wiki servers are running and online and not if the WMF servers are (temporarly) blocked themselves in a region of the world.
Possibly it is advisable to make obfuscated mails the default, but give experienced users a way to opt out by adding a second email to their account.
If preferences get to complex, it is maybe possible to hide some of the less used preferences options by CSS and show them only in an expert mode.
- Yes, these will definitely need to be sorted out. I've reached out to the WMF legal department to review this concept at a high level before proceeding any further. If we decide to move forward with 2-way email relay we will probably begin researching other existing 2-way relay systems, such as Craigslist. — Trevor Bolliger, WMF Product Manager 🗨 21:37, 18 December 2017 (UTC)