The overall plan looks impressive, but too much of dependence on students, or making Wikipedia contributions a part of academic requirements could have a negative impact too.
Students will probably look at it just as an assignment and may not retain interest after the formality is completed. Also, the effect of these exercises could be temporary as we need to target new batches every year. Nevertheless, there is no doubt that such activities will bring in the much needed quantity of content into Kannada Wikipedia.
In addition to students, we can also think of targeting people who write regularly for the print media in Kannada. There are many writers who contribute articles on topics like places of interest, local specialities etc. By taking their help, we can ensure steady content addition to Kannada wikipedia. Sessions like the one planned for science articles can be conducted for them too.
Also, can we look at having projects with smaller scope? For example, a project on 'Hoysala Temples of Hassan District' would be much easier to complete and needs involvement from lesser number of people than a big-bang project on 'Temples of Karnataka'. It might also be easy to recognize people who complete projects - and that will probably motivate more people to take up similar activities.
Work plan is good and very hopeful about rapid growth of Kannada wikipedia. Below are some suggestions to adapt according to the feasibility.
- Regarding Institutional Partnerships, colleges in Shivamogga district can be approached, where there are many students and professors with good interest in these kind of activities and have good Kannada writing skills.
- Karnataka Vanijya Mandali or Karnataka Chalanachitra Academy (and/or any authority related to KFI) can be approached to make all the new Kannada movie pages to be included as soon as those are released. All Production houses or Directors (at the time of registration and release) can be informed (through Vanijya Mandali) to add a Wiki page on respective movie!!
- Advanced training (technical things, other background activities apart from adding content) sessions for interested people.
- Approaching & training columnists, authors or people (who write informative stuffs in print media), so that contents can be added regularly by them.
- Thanks for the valuable feedback. Please pass on any links for colleges in Shivamogga. Last year I did try approaching Karnataka Film Chamber of Commerce (KFCC) and Karnataka State Film Academy. The response was lukewarm from KFCC. There was a positive response from one member of Academy. But then many academies were reconstituted and he was no more a member. Will try to find some leads again. There was a proposal to train journalists and columnists through the Karnataka Media Academy last year. Then again due the election and change of government, change in academies, that could not take place. Hope to see some progress this year.--Pavanaja (talk) 05:42, 28 March 2014 (UTC)
With due respect, I have removed my name from contributor list as I have not involved in designing the program plan.
Kiran Ravikumar 23 April 2014, 18:56 (UTC)
- First of all, I would like to apologise for including the names of Omshivaprakash, Kiran Ravikumar and M G Harish in the draft work plan as contributors, without taking the consent to include the names. I had telephonic discussions with Omshivaprakash, Kiran Ravikumar, M G Harish and also with others whose names have been mentioned in the plan on what activities and projects can be planned for next year. Everyone gave their ideas and suggestions. I am thankful to everyone who gave their very valuable inputs. I made the draft plan based on these inputs and my own ideas as well as the experience of running the program for one year. Sorry, if the wordings gave a different kind of interpretation. --Pavanaja (talk) 09:29, 24 April 2014 (UTC)
Reviewer / advisor group
I suggest setting up of a group of reviewers and advisors, who can guide people who create / edit Wikipedia articles in Kannada. People who are proficient in writing technical / historical / financial / geographic / human resources / business / general science articles in Kannada can help review the articles, suggest corrections and also provide tips on how best to write such articles, whenever their help is sought.