La Jaysine, alpine garden in Haute Savoie
The idea is to organize a WAFtreff in Samoens (France) either in May - June 2018 or in 2019. The botanical garden of La Jaysina was founded by Marie-Louise Cognacq Jay, a native from Samoens. Articles on the subject are not translated in Italian. Nattes à chat (talk) 10:52, 2 June 2018 (UTC)
Working list on witches
The witch hunt started in Sion in 1428. Before that Heinrich Kramer tried to organize a witch hunt in Innsbruck but failed,due to the lack of local support. He then wrote Malleus Malificarium and gained support from the pope in his endeavour, which led to the first massive persecution in Sion (Wallis, Switzerland). So this theme is both interesting in to the gender gap, and the Alps.
- working page on an interractive map to be able to find the articles to work on in the Alpine localisation
- article available in french and English to be translated in Italian and German (French version more complete)]
- working list on witches on les sans pagEs (French)
- SPARQL inquiry of all persons accused of witchcraft (we could design an interractive map with the data)
Working List First World War in the Alpes
-> Compare de: Gebirgskrieg 1915–1918
Dear friends of the WikiAlpenforum!
With that newsletter I want to inform you of the current status of the WikiAlpenForum (WAF) has evolved much more quickly than any of us expected. Our labours in various Wikipedia projects have thrived and can be observed in the many edits in the German, English, Italian and French Wikipedia, in the Encyclopedia, as well as in the Commons, the Metasites and in WikiData.
- Since our initial WAF-Workshop in February 2017 in Munich, as we have reported, there have been 23 meetings and excursions of WAF in Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland. A total of 237 Wikipedians have taken part with an average of 12 active editing participants at each meeting. Of these 23 meetings, 8 were sponsored by one or more of the WM-Chapters. In the meanwhile, WAF has been present at all of the German, Italian and French WikiCONs and is supporting the application for the WikiCON 2019 in Innsbruck. A cardinal example of the future structure of WAF is the involvement of the WikiAlpenForum in the project “Wiki loves Earth – Italian Alps”, which was initiated and is curated by our WAF- founding member, Cristian.
- The latest WAF meeting held in Switzerland was especially productive, the report here in English. This was the first time that active members of WAF-Orga from all five participating countries worked together intensively. At this meeting, we edited in all of the projects in which WAF is active: in the Wikipedia encyclopedia, English, German, Italian and French; on the WAF metasites; on the WAF project sites in all of the languages; and in WikiData. In the WP-Commons alone, about 300 photos were up loaded as a result of the meeting in Bern, all in best quality and resolution. Many have already been used in Wikipedia articles. A large portion of my own photos, mostly of monuments in and around Bern, which I made with my full-format camera, have still to be up loaded.
- WAF speaks with persons and organisations which in the past have had little to do with Wikipedia, with Alpine clubs and groups as well as with museums and culture centers in the region of the Alps. In the meantime, this cooperation has become so intensive, that WAF and its members have achieved permanent access to museums, as in Innsbruck-Volkskunstmuseum or to archives and libraries of the Alpenvereine of Germany, Austria and Südtirol in Munich, and the House of Bavarian History in Augsburg.
- It would be good to have a comprehensive summary of all WAF activities. Everything that has been added to the contents of Wikipedia since the beginning of WAF has already been documented on our Doku page and also categorized in the Commons, here with links. Only a fraction of the uploaded 2720 photos in 31 categories has been included. In the meantime there has been excellent reporting by WMAT, where the Center in Vienna has documented the photos from the Commons which have been included in WP articles.
- In Bern we discussed the future structure and strategy of the WikiAlpenForum. A discussion with the WMDE had been planned for Thursday, July 5, which was postponed because it seemed better to discuss the future development of the WikiAlpenForum first in the five country WAF-Orgas and then as a second step in the five chapters. An excellent opportunity for this would be in connection with the WikiCONs 2018 in St. Gallen, Grenoble and Como.
- With this Newsletter, I also wish to inform you all of my withdrawal from WAF-Orga and from all operational activities of the project WikiAlpenForum. At the same time, I would like to thank everybody who has been actively involved in WAF and all contributors. Of course, I hope to continue writing and submitting to Wikipedia more articles relating to our Alps. And I look forward to joining you on future excursions to the Alpine Plant Gardens.
Dear all participating in the WikiAlpenForum,
we would like to inform you that - after a talk with Pimpinellus today - he confirmed that he will withdraw from the coordination of the WikiAlpenForum. This is why a new organizing team for WAF is now sought after, which will also function as a contact for the involved chapters. We appreciate the idea of WAF and the energy and volunteer work that is being put into the project, and are looking forward to discussing the project and its future goals during WikiCon and having a fruitful, cross-chapter exchange. We are also looking forward to working together with a new organizing team in the future and can of course be contacted for questions or comments on this talk page. --Vera Krick (WMDE) (talk) 15:48, 23 August 2018 (UTC)
First off all...
…our thanks to Pimpinellus for his engagement in getting the WikiAlpenforum up and running. We understand the reasons for his partial withdrawal from the Metabereich after the WikiCON in St. Gallen, which he announced in the WAF newsletter of July 8. We are, of course, happy that Pimpinellus will participate in planning the future in all of the chapters of the WikiAlpenforum during the WikiCON in St. Gallen. It is not clear to me, why Ms. Vera Krick of the WMDE in Berlin states that a WAF Orgateam for the five participating countries should be formed immediately. We already have a well functioning WAF Orgateam. I am one of the two members representing the Austrian Wikipedia in that team. Our colleague Nattes à chat represents the French group and BotBln represents the German group. Switzerland and Italy are similarly well represented in the WAF Orgateam. Whether or not someone leaves the team or continues to participate does not lie within the competence of Ms. Vera Krick, but rather with the communities themselves. The support which Ms. Krick has offered is, of course, welcome and we express our thanks for that. In addition, we in the WikiAlpenforum will gladly inform her as well as the community representatives in the other chapters about how we organize ourselves, and about what and how we plan topic events. We, of course, welcome suggestions and will discuss necessary support requests with the various chapters. That functions well in Austria, Italy and Switzerland, why not with the WMDE? Come see us and talk with us at our WAF stand in St. Gallen. We will be happy to discuss any questions with you there. Best wishes --Schmeissnerro (talk) 11:15, 25 August 2018 (UTC)
- Thank you Schmeissnerro for your positive evaluation of our engagement in the WikiAlpenforum, which is, of course, due to the entire WAF team, also for your clarification. Even though I was active earlier in the Meta area as well as Orga, I wish to move on and concentrate primarily on Wikipedia contents in the future. Also on the photo, audio and video contents in Commons. Those are the reasons for my withdrawal from WAF-Orga, which I have long and well deliberated. In St. Gallen, I will, of course, gladly take part in the planning of the transition. It is good that our friend BotBln will devote more of his time to WAF and that you and he will organize the next WAF event, the Salzburg Organ Landscape (Salzburger Orgellandschaft), in November. I find especially good your idea to make audio and video recordings, to upload them to Commons and to incorporate them into Wikipedia articles. That is quite important Schmeissnerro: Have you already registered for the WikiCon in St. Gallen? Because your AT-WAF colleague TheTokl presumably will still be at sea, your presence as member of the AT-WAF Orga at the Futureprocess of the WikiAlpenforums is really necessary. Please register here and here as well here as WikiCON participant. Hopefully then, in St. Gallen --Pimpinellus (talk) – WikiMUC – 10:20, 26 August 2018 (UTC)
- In closing, there are a few additional points to make:
- As a project originating within the WP communities of 5 countries, the WAF Orga team “needs no confirmation or commentary from the employees of the chapter.”
- Without the assistance of the former director of the WMDE community team, Julian, the WikiAlpenforum could not have developed so well. As stated in the conversation with Abraham, mentioned above, Julian and the community team initially approached us, designed themselves the multilanguage WAF poster, gave us welcome impulses and support, helped us with the applications for financial support and generally gave us encouragement.
- In any case, the support of the project by the WM chapter was very helpful. Of the 25 larger meetings and excursions of the WikiAlpenforum, documented here, six were financially supported. These events were mostly with international participatio
- The support yielded valuable impulses for the project. However, the most important contributions of the WAF project to Wikipedia were to recruit new authors, to make archives, museums and libraries accessible for our work, to organise the international connections within the project and most of all the acquisition of cooperation with numerous organisations and facilities having to do with the Alps. This all took, and continues to take, place within the framework of the activities of the WikiAlpenforum which are not directly supported by WMDE or other WM-chapters.
- We hope to be able to continue in this manner our work in the WikiAlpenforum, strengthened in the future within the Munich Wikipedia Spaces project and when possible with the support of WMF in SF; with enjoyment and good conversations, with all of our Wikipedia friends from the entire Alps region; and pleased that we can contribute to Wikipedia contents, both with text and photos, and soon in Salzburg, with audios and videos; and always with the goal, to win more new authors for Wikipedia and our WAF topics. - With best wishes --Pimpinellus (talk) – WikiMUC – 15:58, 3 September 2018 (UTC)
orignal is flipped http://www.fortepan.hu/_photo/download/fortepan_83857.jpg Does anybody know that hut and the mountain? best --Herzi Pinki (talk) 23:40, 6 November 2018 (UTC)
- you help was already effective. Got it. No help needed any more. --Herzi Pinki (talk) 21:47, 7 November 2018 (UTC)
Thoughts about current status
Dear WAF-ers, lately, it has become somewhat stiller in the Alpenforum, which caused some uncertainties and let to requests about the current status of the project. That is why the two of us, as two of the initial driving forces, have given the project some more thoughts. During several informal meetings at Salzburg, Innsbruck, Schaan, Munich, Faistenau, and Stubai mountain, for example, it became clear that the Alpenforum is a project which results largely from the ongoing activities of our cooperating partners. Particularly important are the regional cultural activities as well as the Alpine clubs in Germany, Austrian and South Tyrol. Financial support from the WM chapter has been more of an exception, as documented in the documentation page. This shows that the Alpenforum tends increasingly more toward the original intentions in which topics related to the Alps are not confined to Wikipedia.
It has become clear that larger excursions, such as those which the Alpenforum has in the past organized, would be better situated in other cooperating Wikipedia projects, such as in particular GLAM, but also Wiki Loves Earth, Wiki Loves Monuments, Wikipedia KulTouren, the Wikipedia Landpartien or in such promising Wikipedia projects as “Traditionelles Handwerk als Immaterielles Kulturerbe”. With GLAM, "GLAM in den Alpen" is being considered. The WAF-on-Tour excursions as such will most likely no longer take place. +WAF meetings, where the + stands for the cooperation partners, would continue to be a focal point. Also the medial importance of alpine topics, from which Wikipedia profits, as do the many organisations which have been networking with the Alpenforum in the past, would continue to be of central interest.