Talk:Wikimedia Community User Group Pakistan/Archive
I would like to ask a few questions to have all the relevant information in one place (one-two paragraph summaries or links to other pages are fine), which we use to get to know you better and to have a catalogue of all affiliates as we ask all of them a very similar set of questions. These will also be useful if you later decide to apply for chapter or thematic organisation status. Please know, that there are no "expected" or wrong answers.
- Who are the people behind this application?
- Wikipedians and Wikimedians in Pakistan.
- How many?
- any active (on local or international level) Wiki[pm]edians? (please provide user names and wiki of origin)
- Active in which communities if any?
- English Wikipedia, Urdu Wikipedia, English Wikivoyage
- How are they geographically distributed?
- Karachi and Islamabad
- How many people do you expect will eventually want to join?
- 15-20 but we believe that more will come after the formal approval.
- For the application and final agreement we will require two contact persons that can sign the Wikimedia_User_Group_Agreement on behalf of the group. Who will those be?
- Saqib and Samar
- Could you give a short overview of the time path of the founding up to now?
- Have there been any activities/meetings etc. of this group of people?
- What kind of activities are planned for the future in the user group?
- Organise regular meetups in major cities of Pakistan for discussions, a Wikipedia workshop, Wikipedia Takes The City and WLM 2014.
- How can we help you?
- By giving us affiliation as a recognised user group, and by funding our programs and activities.
- What name would you like to use? (There are some templates at Step-by-step_user_group_creation_guide#Naming_of_user_groups.)
- Wikimedia Community User Group Pakistan
Thank you for your time in answering these questions. These help us get a feel for your group and determine how far along the process towards user group status are you at the moment. Let me know if you need any clarifications. --Bence (talk) 16:19, 10 October 2013 (UTC)
Some more AffCom questions
Hi guys. Thank you for answering the form Bence posted so we could get more information about the proposed user group in Pakistan, and I hope you won't mind if I post a few questions of my own. :)
- I noticed that there has only been one meetup of Wikipedians in Pakistan, and that was in 2009. Since then, how has the community interacted? Are most interactions on-wiki, on a mailing list, etc.? I'm asking this because one of your goals is to set up a Wikimedia chapter, and I'm not sure if only one pre-WUG meetup is sufficient to build up momentum. (Wikimedia Philippines, for example, went through seven meetups before the chapter was established.)
- Frankly speaking, I was on on a long wiki break until September last year when I joined WV and started to organise the community again. Since then, we're interacting with each other by e-mails. Our goal to create Wikimedia chapter in Pakistan is actually will be in long run so definitely we will have many meet-ups before we actually create it and until we don't create it, we would like to work as a user group to achieve our goals. Recently, we were also organising WLM in Pakistan this year and I was the lead-coordinator but I had an serious accident and we had to cancel this contest.
- What is the focus of the group? If you could summarize your goals into a single sentence, how would you do it?
- The main focus of this user group will be to promote Wikipedia and various Pakistani language Wikimedia Foundation projects throughout Pakistan.
Thank you for answering our questions. Before moving forward with recognising country-wide user group, it might be helpful if we understood a bit better the general wiki community in that country.
- How many active editors are in Pakistan?
- Which are the most popular wikis?
- Have you left invitations to join the user group on the main village pumps / community pages on those wikis? what was the response? If not, it might be a good idea to try to invite a few more people, or at least give them the chance to learn about this proposal.
Thank you once more for your diligence and hard work - I was sorry to hear about your accident and the consequences for WLM, hope you are well now.
- Bence, thanks for message. English and Urdu Wikipedia is most popular among local community. I'm not sure how much are the active editors on English WP, but they're in hundreds as you can see here and here. On Urdu Wikipedia, there're some 100 active Wikipedians, who had some kind of activity within the last 30 days. As for invitations to join the user group on wikis, I've not done yet but I'll do it. --Saqib (talk) 15:22, 3 November 2013 (UTC)
Is there an online membership list (e.g. on a wiki page) of this group? Has anyone else joined since your call to action on the village pumps?
- We didn't created any list where people can signup. But you can see the interest here. We've got many new subscribers on our mailing list. --Saqib (talk) 22:37, 7 December 2013 (UTC)
- Hi Saqib, thanks for your answer. Just to be sure, could you please create a membership section for the user group and ask people to sign up there to show their membership (perhaps with a small bio - favourite project to edit; location, interest, or whatever you want)? Thanks, --Bence (talk) 13:31, 10 December 2013 (UTC)
How to Proceed ?
I have very keen interest in making Wikimedia Chapter Pakistan approved from Wikipedia Foundation. I have added my name in the list of supporters. But whats next ? How can we proceed in making this chapter towards success ?
What step can be followed to make initial steps. I think the process will be long and will take time to get it approve from Wikipedia Foundation. However we can start from now by our mutual contributions and efforts.
What do you say all ??
Regards, Nabil rais2008
- Our proposed user group is currently waiting for official recognition from Affcom. I know the chapter creation can take a long time but we can accomplish many of our goals through our user group. --Saqib (talk) 19:25, 10 January 2014 (UTC)
Question from AffCom