Teamwork of projects in languages with singular status/Strategic plans
To start we can raise moral. Wikipedia is done by very few people. Very active wikipedians are those who do more than 3 editions a day. To write a large Wikipedia like Portuguese one you need about 200 very active wikipedians.
We already have the WMF strategic plan but languages with singular status live in singular circumstances witch should be known, analyzed, taken into account, and even exploited to make their Wikipedia grow.
After that we can set ambitious but realistic strategic objectives to be achieved and draw a plan of actions to reach them.
These pages are to help these Wikipedias in defining their strategic plans. Each case is singular but we can share methodology, and check lists to help in identifying factors and potential actions.
A good methodology to identify those peculiarities can be the SWOT analysis.
Here we try to provide a check list of potential factors in each topic.
Characteristics of the community and the project in this Wikipedia language that give it an advantage over others.
List of possible Strengths that may be applicable or not to you language:
- Small welcoming and friendly community.
- Ratio editors/speakers above the mean.
- Low level of vandalism.
- Ratio number of articles/number of editors above the mean.
Characteristics of the community and the project in this Wikipedia language that place it at a disadvantage relative to others.
List of possible Weaknesses that may be applicable or not to you language:
- Less number of articles than in other language verssions your readesrs also understand.
- In some articles less quality than in other language verssions your readesrs also understand.
- Low ratio of page views/speakers.
External chances in the environment to make grow the projects in this language.
List of possible Opportunities that may be applicable or not to you language:
- Possible cooperation with media in your lenguage.
- Almost all populaton bilingualor multilingual allowing to take advantage from translations.
- Possible cooperation with other free culture organizations in your language.
- Possible cooperation with cultural associations in your language.
- Possible cooperation with entities teaching your leanguage.
- Possible cooperation with educational system in your language.
- Aids and grants from public and private bodies specifically adressed to promote your language.
External elements in the environment that could cause trouble for the grow of the projects in this language.
List of possible Threats that may be applicable or not to you language:
- Search engines priorizing other languages.
- Hight % of speakers not able to write in your lenguage.
- Other collaborative projects dividing the potential of the linguistic community.
- Social perception that this language is of second level that knowledge is to be spread in another language.
- Editor perception that it is not worth to write in this lenguage while they also can contribute in a lagunage with higher number of potential readers.