Tell us about Cantonese Wikipedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page belongs to the project Tell us about your Wikipedia.
- Wikimedia Statistics can be difficult to interpret. What is your impression, how many steady contributors do you have?
- Are your contributors mostly native speakers?
- Where do your contributors live (regions/country)?
- Hong Kong, Mainland China (Kwongtung, Kwangsi), and around the world.
- How common is it that your contributors meet in real life?
- Do you have special contacts with another Wikipedias (maybe in related languages)?
- Do you translate a lot from other Wikipedias? Which ones?
- Wikipedia in English, partly from Chinese and sparsely from Japanese.
Organization and support
- Is there a Wikimedia chapter in your country? How does your language relate to it?
- Yes, but its main concern is Chinese Wikipedia.
- Are there work groups in other organizations about Wikipedia?
Your Wikipedia and the linguistic community
- Is there a language institution for your language, like an Academy, or a club of people interested in your language? Do you have contact with them? No, but there is a growing number of published studies.
- Who (else) supports you?
- How looks your public outreach for your edition? Do you have fliers, give lectures, trainings etc.?
- Do you get feedback from readers? Yes, but very sparsely.
- What other encyclopedias exist in your language? None.
- Does your edition concentrates on certain topics, like your region and language, or Latin Wikipedia on Roman history and Christianity? Whatever the editors are comfortable with. History of Kwongtung; science; transportations in Hong Kong ; Cantonese language
- Did your edition enjoy text donations, for example from older encyclopedias? No.
- Is there a generally accepted norm about your language (spelling, dictionary, pronunciation)? Yes. But there are some debates over the choices of characters.
- How do you deal with different spellings, dialects etc. (like B.E. lift and A.E. elevator)? There is no character standard assumed for Cantonese language (except all written characters are in traditional form). As Cantonese Wikipedia is character-based, it does not reflect the difference between various forms of pronunciation of each character in different dialect. The leading written form is largely based on Canton-Hong Kong group.