Tell us about Indonesian Wikipedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- < back to Tell us about your Wikipedia
(Indonesian) Wikipedia Bahasa Indonesia
- Wikimedia Statistics can be difficult to interpret. What is your impression, how many steady contributors do you have?
- (Indonesian) Statistik di Wikimedia sulit untuk diartikan. Menurut Anda berapa banyak kontributor yang menyumbang untuk Wikipedia Bahasa Indonesia?
- Are your contributors mostly native speakers?
- (Indonesian) Apakah kebanyakan penyumbang [penulis artikel] berbicara dalam bahasa ibunya?
- Yes Serenity.id 03:03, 29 August 2008 (UTC)
- That's what makes Indonesian unique, Indonesian language is spoken with a mixture of local languages/dialects. Some past articles that I read suggested that most Indonesian people uses Indonesian language as their secondary language. I, for myself, speaks mainly Javanese-Indonesian around people who speak the same spoken language; yet my contribution in Javanese Wikipedia is very miniscule, for some reasons. (if the question asks about "native writers", that's a whole different question) Bennylin 21:55, 12 September 2008 (UTC)
- Yes Kenrick95 15:19, 2 February 2011 (UTC)
- Where do your contributors live (regions/country)?
- (Indonesian) Di mana para penyumbang ini tinggal (daerah/negara)?
- Mostly in Jakarta, but there are some living in other island, region or other country. Serenity.id 03:04, 29 August 2008 (UTC)
- see id:Wikipedia:Daftar pengguna menurut lokasi. Bennylin 21:55, 12 September 2008 (UTC)
- Mostly all over Indonesia. Sometimes from Malaysia. Kenrick95 15:19, 2 February 2011 (UTC)
- How common is it that your contributors meet in real life?
- (Indonesian) Seberapa sering para penyumbang bertemu muka?
- Old contributors, small gathering 1-3 person: Once-twice a month, large scale: once every 3 months. New/ young contributors once every six months to twelve months.Serenity.id 03:04, 29 August 2008 (UTC)
- Do you have special contacts with another Wikipedias (maybe in related languages)?
- (Indonesian) Apakah id.wp memiliki hubungan khusus dengan Wikipedia lainnya (seperti bahasa lain yang masih berhubungan)?
- Many contributors at Banyumasan, Bugis, Java, Malay, Sunda also contribute to this Wikipedia. ...Aurora... 04:55, 31 August 2008 (UTC)
- There's one ambassador for Wikipedia Bahasa Indonesia and Wikipedia Bahasa Melayu (Malaysia) to bridge conversation between the two. With English Wikipedia I think some of the sysops have their own preffered contacts on official basis for technical reasonSerenity.id.
- Languages in the Sunda-Sulawesi languages family which are used in local level (as opposed to Indonesian language in national level). Which single country have the most Wikipedias? (I'm guessing India, followed by China and Indonesia) Bennylin 21:55, 12 September 2008 (UTC)
- Do you translate a lot from other Wikipedias? Which ones?
- Personally, I prefer to do research of my own for articles and take bits and pieces of information from English Wikipedia. The first explanatory line usually crucial in EN and mostly translated to Indonesia. However, I encourage other user to do the same, some user have a mindset that EN Wikipedia is correct for some reason. In some cases, if deeply discussed and not bias I kind of agree, but in most cases it's 11-12 with other languages as well) Serenity.id
- Yes. English Wikipedia. Kenrick95 15:20, 2 February 2011 (UTC)
Organization and support
- Is there a Wikimedia chapter in your country? How does your language relate to it?
- Are there work groups in other organizations about Wikipedia?
Your Wikipedia and the linguistic community
- Is there a language institution for your language, like an Academy, or a club of people interested in your language? Do you have contact with them?
- Yes. We had talks about Wikipedia at the Indonesian language academy although informally. Meursault2004 22:32, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- Language institution for Bahasa Indonesia - one that I know of is: Pusat Bahasa, community about people interested in Bahasa Indonesia: I'm sure some exist, but, I neither have contact with them or know them personally, sometimes I read articles about terms (language related) and share them in Wikipedia online. Serenity.id
- Yes, there are, one of them is "Pusat Bahasa". Another is "Bahtera". Kenrick95 15:26, 2 February 2011 (UTC)
- Who (else) supports you?
- Departemen Komunikasi dan Informasi. Indonesian government: Ministry of Communication and Information. Media contact: Detik.com, Chip magazine. Serenity.id 05:22, 29 August 2008 (UTC)
- How looks your public outreach for your edition? Do you have flyers, give lectures, trainings etc.?
- Do you get feedback from readers?
- LoL, sometimes yes, but we find out that most readers or even new contributors are clueless that wikipedia is a two way street. Serenity.id 05:22, 29 August 2008 (UTC)
- Yes. Recently media has covered many vandalism (about Indonesia and/or Malaysia) of Wikipedia's article. Kenrick95 15:26, 2 February 2011 (UTC)
- What other encyclopedias exist in your language?
- "Oxford Ensiklopedia Pelajar" (Oxford Student Encyclopedia), "Disney Ensiklopedia Anak" (Disney's Kids Encyclopedia), etc. I ever seen some more of them in my school's library but I don't remember the title. Kenrick95 15:26, 2 February 2011 (UTC)
- Does your edition concentrates on certain topics, like your region and language, or Latin Wikipedia on Roman history and Christianity?
- There are quite a lot of info on Indonesia-related topics. ...Aurora... 04:55, 31 August 2008 (UTC)
- Indonesian administrative sub-divisions... many of them are bot generated. Some other topics include religions (islam, christianity, hindu), biology, lists, etc. Bennylin 21:55, 12 September 2008 (UTC)
- Indonesian administrative sub-divisions, but recently more focused to France commune. Kenrick95 15:32, 2 February 2011 (UTC)
- Did your edition enjoy text donations, for example from older encyclopedias?
- I have not seen any of text donations from older encyclopedias, yet. Kenrick95 15:32, 2 February 2011 (UTC)
- Is there a generally accepted norm about your language (spelling, dictionary, pronunciation)?
- How do you deal with different spellings, dialects etc. (like B.E. lift and A.E. elevator)?
- By referring to Pusat Bahasa's Kamus Besar Bahasa Indonesia. ...Aurora... 04:55, 31 August 2008 (UTC)
- Or by consensus, and the lesser choice is voting (as happened in Perancis vs. Prancis). In the case of lift vs elevator, they each have their own article, since Indonesian language uses the exact same terms. In other cases, redirection is a sure way to go. Spelling conflicts are not reviewed until someone complains or brings it up. Until then, common sense prevails. Bennylin 21:55, 12 September 2008 (UTC)