Turkic Wikimedia Conference is an annual gathering of Wikimedians and supporters of Wikimedia projects in Turkic languages. The conference aims to bring together all the people who work on Wikimedia projects and support the development of projects and the Wikimedia Movement on a local and global level.
The Turkic Wikimedia Conference will be held from 20 to 22 October 2023 in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Registration period for representatives of Wikimedia affiliations (Chapters and User Groups): 27 June 2023 — 20 July 2023 (end of the day by UTC).
- Registration period for self-funded participants and everyone else: 10 July 2023 — 31 July 2023 (end of the day by UTC).
It is crucial to check the subpage eligibility carefully before registering. The provided list shows your affiliation’s or communities eligibility status and defines the number of delegates. The current affiliation list is final and can't be revised.
How to select the delegates
Chapters and User Groups
User Groups, which have Bylaws and a formal Board of Trustees, can go through the same steps in selecting delegates as chapters. Accordingly, they must also provide the following confirmations when delegates are selected:
- Minutes or resolution of the BoT;
- Decision of the executive team;
- Decision of the leaders/founders of UG or UG contact persons for WMF.
If the User Group doesn't have a formal structure, then they must consult with the community or members of the User Group and thus select their delegates. They can openly elect their delegates by voting on the Wikimedia projects. To do this, create a delegate selection page on Meta-Wiki, or on your local Wikimedia project, and start a discussion and then a vote. The election result must be provided to confirm the selection of delegates for the WMTRK.
Communities without any affiliates (Chapters and User Groups) must elect their delegates through community consultations. Below are the steps that communities must take to select their delegates:
- Create a page or section in the village pump (or forum) and announce the process of selecting delegates for the conference, invite everyone (ping them) for the discussion;
- Invite community members to submit their candidacy as a delegate;
- Make sure that potential delegates have meaningful contributions to the Wikimedia community and projects who understand the essence of the Wikimedia Movement;
- Hold an open and transparent vote to identify future candidates;
- Submit the result to the Turkic Wikimedia Conference 2023 Organizing Committee through the registration form.
- Turkic Wikimedia Conference 2023 Organizing Committee will check the selected delegates' eligibility to participate in the conference.
If you have questions or difficulties with the delegate selection process, or if you need assistance, contact the Turkic Wikimedia Conference 2023 team for help. Contact details are given below.
Recommendation for the selection of Delegates
While all affiliates and communities have the right to choose their delegates, we still make the following recommendations to everyone when choosing their delegates:
- To increase diversity and have more diverse points of view present at the Turkic Wikimedia Conference, we advise affiliates to send at least one non-male participant per organization/group;
- Choose people who are active in the community and have experience in the movement;
- Involved in the decision-making processes of the organization;
- Striving to help shape the future of the movement;
- Try to choose a delegate who has not participated in other international conferences in the last year.
The registration process is one-step and simplified.
Delegates who their communities have selected must register using the Affiliate Delegate Registration Form (given below). All expenses for travel, accommodation, and meals will be organized and covered by WMTRK. Please note that there will be no reimbursements. For your convenience, you can find all the questions from the Form here.
All others wishing to participate in the conference, including self-funded, Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) staff, and people from Istanbul, must use the "Registration Form" (given below) and register for the conference.
To register for the conference, select your form below and click it.
If you have any questions or comments, or if you need help from WMTRK, please feel free to contact us via turkwikiconwmturkic.org.