Hi! My name is Asaf Bartov, and I'm a longtime volunteer on Wikipedia and some other Wikimedia projects.
|Users by language|
I also work for the Wikimedia Foundation, but I use my staff account for edits made in that official capacity. Take a look at that page for more about my work at the Foundation. Before November 2014, I had been using this account to do my official work as staff as well, so many older grant discussions here on Meta will show official edits by me.
Things I do
I have been a practicing (volunteer) Wikipedian for many years; my home wiki is the Hebrew Wikipedia, but I make occasional contributions on the English Wikipedia as well. I have a strong background in software engineering, and an abiding interest in literature, education, open access, linked data, and library science.
Here are Slides and recordings of my talks.
Wikimedia tools I maintain
- GLAMify -- for a given category on Commons, suggests images for articles based on another Wikipedia's use of those images
- This tool interacts with Meta (on my own userspace) using the Ijonbot bot account.
- pronuncify -- a Linux / OS X command-line tool automating batch recording and upload of pronunciation audio files for Commons and Wiktionary.
- Pronuncify.net -- a Windows .NET GUI version of Pronuncify, automating batch recording of pronunciation audio files for Commons and Wiktionary.
- wimgs -- an image downloader for preparing offline Wikipedia dumps
- erex_yomi -- a script sending a bidiurnal e-mail with a featured article, featured photo, and today in history, all from the Hebrew Wikipedia, to a list of subscribers. Subscribe here: ערך יומי בדואל
- Dhole -- a Ruby gem providing ActiveRecord mapping of main Mediawiki DB entities and relationships
- I've contributed some features and patches to Mediawiki-Gateway, the older Ruby Mediawiki API client gem. I still know it well, and am happy to help if you're trying to do something on Mediawiki in Ruby.