I'm a Wikipedia reader since the mid-2000s, and a casual editor since 2009, when I fixed a typo in the English Wikipedia article on Grant Hart of Hüsker Dü. These days I contribute mostly to mediawiki.org, Wikitech, and Wikimedia Commons.
In 2015, I joined the Wikimedia Foundation as a software engineer. In my free time I enjoy cooking, photography, outdoor recreation, and board gaming.
I'm a senior software engineer on the Analytics Infrastructure subteam of Wikimedia's Product Infrastructure team. Current projects include launching a session length instrument and creating a set of standardized client libraries for analytics event production.
Previously, I led various product infrastructure projects, such as:
- A push notifications infrastructure for Wikimedia sites and the Wikipedia apps.
- A MediaWiki extension to provide image-labeling suggestions from Google Cloud Vision for the Computer-Aided Tagging feature on Wikimedia Commons.
- A MediaWiki extension for suggesting in-app contributions to the Wikimedia projects as part of the Suggested Edits feature and for tracking contributions made through the feature.
I also made substantial contributions to Node.js services supporting Page Previews on the web and providing page and feed content to the apps, and co-maintained Wikimedia's map tile server infrastructure.
Prior to joining Product Infrastructure, I worked on the Wikipedia app for Android, where I developed features including the Explore feed.
- E-mail: mhollowaywikimedia.org
- IRC: mholloway on Libera and Freenode