Lua error in Module:Probox at line 433: attempt to index a nil value.
- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Resources and risks
- 4 Budget
- 5 Discussion
- Making available books of cultural, social and historical importance in Odia Wikisource under free license.
- Improving quality and quantity of content for Wikipedia and Wikisource as a proofread by using the digitized books as resources for citation and references.
The aim of this project is to acquire old books which are copyright free and can be source of information and proofreader for Wikipedia and Wikisource content and with digitizing these books we want to draw the attention of volunteers towards the Wikimedia projects.
- Identifying the organization from where we will get resources (Books).
- Conducting edit-a-thons, digit-a-thons by employing crowd source methods
- Inviting dynamic writers, researchers and other interested parties to help us digitize the content that Odia Wikisource would have acquired.
One necessary impact from this PEG is to bring in resources into the various Wikimedia projects in Odia language and thus try to build a dedicated community around specific themes.
- Odia Wikisource (It will perform as a resource cumulative enhancement centre)
- Odia Wikipedia (Will use the corpus for content generation and references)
- Odia Wiktionary (New words along with rare words used in Odia language will be added)
Odia Wikiquotes (Major writers and poets of Odia language will be represented )
- This project will help expanding the content of Odia Wikisource and will also help enhance content on Odia Wikipedia.
- The existing odia work corpus will increase improving the spell checker and will benefit the Wikimedia community.
Fit with strategy
- Reach quality and participation.
- This project will help to demonstrate the role of Wikimedia movement on saving resources from fading away. Publishing houses that are closing their business due to non availability of funds and market can be archived for as long as Wikimedia projects are functional.
- The project will increase awareness of Wikisource and boosting up the development of Odia content on Internet.
Measures of success
- Apparent growth of Wikisource contributors and increase in content resource.
- Having the collection of large Odia digitized books and corpus can be used for other technical and linguistic computational purposes.
Resources and risks
- Taking help from the institutions who already have experience in Odia book digitization work.
- Getting community members in team those are experienced in OCR work.
- Getting interested volunteers for the work.
- Uncertainty of the material of content acquired(encyclopedic or non-encyclopedic , needed in Wikimedia projects or not).
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget table
|Sl||Item||Description||Rate (INR)||Total Qty||Amount (INR)||Amount in US $|
|1||Equipment 1||High speed High resolution Planet Scanners||100,000||1||100,000||3,333|
|2||Equipment 2||Desktop Workstations||50,000||2||100,000||1,666|
|3||Equipment 3||UPS, Power Extensions etc.||15,000||2||30,000||500|
|Shelves, binding, weatherproofing etc. (lump sum)||10,000||1||10,000|
|7||Allowances||Travel, food and local conveyance for grantees and volunteers to
the source sites
|9||Miscellaneous||Telecom, liaison, correspondence, stationary etc. (lump sum)||10,000||1||10,000|
Total cost of project
Total amount requested
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
Additional sources of revenue
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.