Proposal that might be able to use DynamicPageList2
Hi. We've been working on a proposal to add category intersections at English Wikipedia. It seems as though DynamicPageList2 will do a good deal of what we'd like to implement. We're hoping that you could take a look at the proposal and give us your opinion. We'd especially like to know how our proposal might affect server load, and speed. Thanks. -- SamuelWantman 19:21, 31 August 2006 (UTC)
- Did my best. 'Hope it helps. --Dangerville 13:23, 3 September 2006 (UTC)
I don't quite understand your response. Perhaps I can ask you some specific questions?
- 1. User interface. Though contributor/developer of DPL2, I dislike its user syntax as for its 'category' and 'notcategory' parameters. Not very flexible. It just made it easy and quick to implement and we needed it. Not for a long-term solution. I also disagree with the syntax/interface mentioned in the proposal (e.g. using Intersection ns). Not very flexible either. One day, users may want the same thing for Union (you mix up articles from 2 categories together - different from showing articles in category 1, and then in category 2) or Negation (articles not in a category) or all operations together. That's why, on the long-term, offering the user syntax of Category_math_feature (using some code from DPL2:-)...) seems like a more logical and flexible solution.
I don't think we were expecting to use DPL2 as it is, but to adapt it for our purposes. We are not expecting to make it available to everyone for general editing. When you talk about the User interface, are you talking about the user interface we have designed for the Category Intersection proposal, or the user interface for DPL2. Did you see the mock-ups with the proposal (there are three sets of them, one for each option)? Could DPL2 be used for creating the article lists in the pages of the new intersection namespace we are proposing?
So do you think it is reasonable for us to pursue the proposal? How do we get developers and editors to collaborate in the design? What is the best forum for this discussion? -- SamuelWantman 06:27, 4 September 2006 (UTC)
- You made me realize my comment was confusing. So I changed it a bit. To be specific, I was refering to the way users would do Category Intersection in your proposal, using a separate Intersection namespace. I believe this does not give much flexibility. You want to look for a more generic method that allows other logical operations like category union, "not-category" , union of intersections, etc.
- Yes, DPL2 could be used to generate page lists in the Intersection ns proposed.
- The proposal seems reasonable to me, but would be better if you expand your vision to other useful operations on categories than intersection. Yet, the experience of the other DPL2 developers with MediaWiki is much longer than mine (3 months give or take), so you may rather turn to them for large-vision proposals that can affect wiki users massively. I have no idea for the last two questions. These are more management issues related to MediaWiki that I am not the good person to address to, as a simple extension developer at this point. Sorry for not being more helpful. --Dangerville 11:28, 4 September 2006 (UTC)
Excuse me. I have been trying to contact Mr. Jimbo Wales but he hasn't answered. See I am the President of the United Society of Vandals (USV) and for about the last month and a half my scientist at USV have been working on WikiTV at our main base. We are coming close to finding ways to provide audio and video but for now we are very close to getting audio. Perhapes by November or December at the most well find the audio code. I just want to let you know so that USV can become a part of the Wikimedia Foundation. Thank You. - D. Coldheart, President of USV
Dude Im only trying to help. Just reply to me why. 22.214.171.124 22:29, 13 September 2006 (UTC)
- How can I help to make USV become part of the Wikimedia Foundation exactly...?
dpl for "Index (List of index-terms) for a book"
I have put a question on the talk page of dpl: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:DynamicPageList#Index_.28List_of_index-terms.29_for_a_book
Are you able to give me some hints there?
Regards,Jan--126.96.36.199 10:03, 14 January 2009 (UTC)
Comparison of Dynamic Pagelist x Semantic Mediawiki
I have startet a "Comparison of Dynamic Pagelist x Semantic Mediawiki". Please help to improve the comparison and add some information: Comparison of Dynamic Pagelist x Semantic Mediawiki --Jannis, 188.8.131.52 13:27, 29 December 2009 (UTC)
Fundraising translation feedback
I wanted to ask for your help. As you may be aware we have been running banners on many language wikis. We have a lot of new content this year and I really want to conduct a thorough review of our translations. This is a combination of feedback from the community, readers, donors as well as those with professional translator experience. This will help us ensure the highest quality of translations used in our messaging.
To help us out with this I wonder if you would be willing to give us feedback in french using This Link
Simply follow the simple instructions on that page and if you have any questions feel free to contact me on my talk page.