Hello. This is User:Flooded with them hundreds on EN wiki. This account I'm using is a clean start created in March last year after abandoning my old account User:Zawl. As I'm unable to post a formal unblock request on Commons due to the revocation of my talk page access, I am posting here.
In 2016, I uploaded some copyrighted images to Commons and insulted Elcobbola (a commons admin) who deleted those images and then blocked me indefinitely without talk page access. I apologized and requested unblock a few times but was rarely responded to. I am requesting Elcobbola or any (uninvolved) Commons administrator to review and lift my block as it has been 3 years and I've acknowledged all of my wrongdoings. I wish to contribute constructively to Commons as I have done so on the English Wikipedia where I have made over 80,000 edits in total including 500+ created articles and a Good article.
Three years ago when I was new to the Wikimedia projects, I insulted Elcobbola, an administrator on Commons by calling him "a dumb cunt" and telling him to "go fuck" himself. That led to an indefinite block of the Zawl account on Commons. Ten days after that, an indefinite block on the English Wikipedia followed for being WP:NOTHERE, mostly because of some derogatory comments I had made on my talk page. After a lengthy discussion with several admins in December 2016, the block on EN wiki was lifted.
Regretting my mistakes that caused the block on Commons, I apologized to Elcobbola via email a year later. After joining again as a clean start account in March 2018, I focused only on EN wiki, which is my home wiki. Due to the SUL's automatic creation of my Commons account and the linking of both my accounts, my new account was blocked for block evasion on Commons in November by Nick (after I revealed the connection in a failed RfA on EN wiki) although it was never my intention to evade the block. It didn't occur to me that I was evading the block because my old account (Zawl) didn't matter anymore. My email to Elcobbola in September 2017 regarding the unblock request can be found here. Their response to the email can be found in Zawl's talk page archive here.
My addressing of the issues that got me blocked is as below:
- As noted in the block log, I was blocked at Commons on October 13, 2016 for "Intimidation/harassment". This was because of my insulting of the admin Elcobbola by stating that "I changed my mind. Go fuck yourself you dumb cunt" half an hour before the block. I deeply regret saying that, it was a huge mistake and I promise to never repeat it.
- Another reason for the block was that I uploaded copyrighted images to Commons, particularly the 6-7 ones noted by Elcobbola in the archive. I didn't clearly understand the policies and guidelines on Commons two years ago, and would often confuse Wikipedia files as Commons files and vice-versa. Now I'm fully of the understanding that only free files and files in the public domain (of the United States and the source country) are acceptable on Commons.
- The third issue is that I lied about the uploads' copyright being wholly mine. I was young and stupid. Those images were taken from Google. I used an editing tool to edit them and uploaded them to Commons, claiming they were entirely mine. Lying was a huge mistake and I am remorseful for that and for being dishonest.
- The fourth issue is the recent block evasion with this new account. As mentioned above, it wasn't my intention to evade the block. I wouldn't have created the Commons account if I had the choice but it was automatically attached to my EN account. When I uploaded the AfC file on Commons, my previous history as Zawl and the block evasion didn't come to mind. Instead, I uploaded the image for the sole benefit of the AfC project on EN. I wouldn't have uploaded it had I realized I was evading a block.
- As for my motive of requesting unblock after three years, I'm uneasy with the fact that I'm blocked on another project when I have established myself as a good-standing user on EN wiki. The copyrighted images, the insults and block evasion are past mistakes that will not be repeated.
I would like to be unblocked on Commons. I no longer have access to the Zawl account. Therefore, if this unblock request is accepted, I would like to be unblocked at Flooded with them hundreds and not Zawl (although unblocking both is a bonus I would highly appreciate). Thank you.
- ↑ "Confirmation regarding clean start posted by Alex Shih, former arbitrator on the English Wikipedia". ENwiki. 2018-04-16. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- ↑ "Elcobbola's reversion of edits by TheMagnificentist". Commons. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- ↑ "Successful unblock request by TheMagnificentist on the English Wikipedia". ENwiki. November 14, 2016. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- ↑ "Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Flooded with them hundreds". ENwiki. November 2, 2018. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- ↑ "Screenshot of TheMagnificentist's email to Elcobbola in 2017". ImgBB. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- ↑ a b "Elcobbola's message on TheMagnificentist's talk page on EN wiki". ENwiki. January 5, 2018. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- ↑ "Accidental block evasion by uploading an image to Commons using the new account", Commons, August 5, 2018, retrieved January 16, 2019
- I'm unsure if there has been a memory lapse or there's deliberate obfuscation going on, but there was more abuse directed at Elcobbola than that which Flooded with them hundreds has declared above. Commons administrators can view further deleted material at  and  (I suspect the later of those two diffs is the one which Flooded with them hundreds is thinking about). The abuse directed towards Elcobbola in the first diff could conceivably be described as homophobic abuse and is part of the reason why I included removal of talk page access when blocking the alternative/sockpuppet account on Commons recently, although the general abusive behaviour and overall tone would have justified it on its own. I'm open to being persuaded that unblocking is safe and will benefit the community on Commons, but my initial starting point is that the behavioural issues I've encountered and witnessed with Flooded with them hundreds is likely to make them a slight net negative on Commons. Nick (talk) 12:28, 16 January 2019 (UTC)
- I'll also note here that I've re-enabled talk page access on Commons in order that the unblock discussion may take place in the appropriate venue. If you wish to copy all of this content, including my comment over, please do feel free to do so. Nick (talk) 12:30, 16 January 2019 (UTC)