WikiCite/grant/GLAM from the University of São Paulo Libraries and Wikidata: engaging the library community
- Project Name
- GLAM from the University of São Paulo Libraries and Wikidata: engaging the library community
- Start/End dates
- December/2020 to May/2021
- Amount requested (and the currency you wish to receive it in)
- 7,150 USD
- Amount requested (in US$ equivalent)
- 7,150 USD
- Contact person name/Wikimedia username
- Stela Madruga / User:Ssstela
- Contact person e-mail address
- Organisation (optional)
- University of São Paulo
- Project participants
- Stela Madruga (User:Ssstela) - Librarian, Head of the Library of the Institute of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of São Paulo (USP), Master in Information Management at USP, member of GLAM Libraries at USP and Wikimedian.
- Amarílis Montagnolli Gomes Corrêa (User:AmarilisMGC), Member of GLAM Wiki Bibliotecas USP, master in Information Sciences, researcher on digital preservation linked to the Studies and Practices in Digital Preservation group (Rede Cariniana/Ibict), interested in linked open data for cultural and scientific collections.
- Lilian Viana (User:Lilian_Viana), Member of GLAM Bibliotecas USP interested in developing actions using Wikimedia platforms which provide links between information and education. Doctor students in Information Sciences with a research approach on the relations between information and education and the acts of meaning in graduate studies. Part of the Group of Cultural Education Research registered on CNPQ (other information in ORCID).
In July 2020, three libraries from the University of São Paulo (USP), in partnership with the Wiki Movement Brazil, kickstarted the GLAM/Bibliotecas USP, the first GLAM initiative in the scenery of Brazilian libraries.
USP has a distinguished academic production, spotted on the international rankings as holder of one of the most relevant intellectual production in the Latin America. Such position of excellency is formed by 48 libraries that possess 193 journals edited by the institutes, schools and colleges inside the university, all available for free on-line access in the Portal de Revistas da USP.
Minding the strategic role that the libraries dutifully play in the circle of communication of the scientific and cultural production of universities, this proposal focuses on the engagement of the librarian community in the GLAM/Bibliotecas USP project such as the potential of the librarians for amplifying the actions regarding Wikidata and related tools.
Taking into consideration the importance of the intellectual production available in the USP edited journals and the lack of representativity of said production in a global circuit which crosses the borders of Latin America, the project will look forward in engaging the librarian community from Wikidata edition events and bibliographical references of the following publications:
- São Paulo Journal of Mathematical Sciences, from the Institute of Mathematics and Statistiscs of the University of São Paulo (ISSN 2316-9028). URL from 2007 to 2014: https://www.revistas.usp.br/spjournal
- Resenhas do Instituto de Matemática e Estatística da Universidade de São Paulo (ISSN 2357-9331). Web address from 1993 to 2005: https://www.revistas.usp.br/resenhasimeusp
- Comunicação & Educação, from the School of Communications and Arts of the University of São Paulo. (ISSN 2316-9125). URL: http://www.revistas.usp.br/comueduc
- Paisagem e Ambiente: ensaios (ISSN 0104-6098/eISSN 2359-5361), Architecture and Urbanism College of the University of São Paulo. URL: http://www.revistas.usp.br/paam
- Pós. Revista do Programa de Pós-Graduação em Arquitetura e Urbanismo da FAUUSP (ISSN 1518-9554/eISSN 2317-2762), Architecture and Urbanism College of the University of São Paulo. URL: https://www.revistas.usp.br/posfau
The project team will work on uploading on Wikidata the majority of the data on the articles in the journals and planned “edit-thones”, mainly focused on the librarians of the USP staff, will be made. Such marathones will be preceded by an event to introduce GLAM Bibliotecas USP, which will provide context to the project highlighting the debate about the potential of the Wikidata to diffuse information among university libraries.
The libraries of three education, research and extension institutions from USP are part of GLAM Bibliotecas: the School of Communications and Arts, the Architecture and Urbanism College and the Institute of Mathematics and Statistics. The project shows relevance in its search for promoting the engagement of a larger number of librarians and libraries of USP in GLAM in order to increase the use of Wikidata in the librarian practice in the university.
The libraries from the USP units that form GLAM have been developing actions in order to register the intellectual production of their faculty in Wikidata, those publications are now over 60 thousand entries. Engaging a larger number of libraries in this action means increasing the data input on Wikidata and, therefore, the amplification of ways of communication for USP production.
Plus, the editing marathon of the USP published journals will contribute in broadening the visibility of such production and enable the extraction of bibliometric data from the Scholia tool. The availability of the results of this action may trigger the interest from the publishers of USP journals in establishing partnerships with the libraries, thus incorporating the Wikidata tool to the organization of open access information and bibliographic data and also improve its visualization.
Project team will prepare an event to be held in March 2021, a month in which Brazil celebrates the Librarian Day and, usually, lectures and activities are held at USP.
Later on, two editing marathons will be scheduled, possibly in April and last week of May 2021.
Realization of an event on "Linked data, Wikidata and University Libraries", including:
- Divulgation inside and outside USP communities.
- Inviting lecturers who present the relevance of Linked data for libraries.
- Setting an online debate with the account on experiences on GLAM Bibliotecas USP to present developing actions and partnership dynamics with User Group Wiki Movimento Brasil.
Organization of 2 (two) editing marathons (online e open to public). Including:
- Divulgation inside and outside USP communities.
- These marathons will propose the improvement of the Wikidata registers related to the articles published in USP journals.
- The editings will be monitored through Outreach dashboard for seven days after said editathons.
Description of scheduled activities.
|Collect and analyze the articles metadata and importing into wikidata||Collect and analyze the articles metadata and importing into wikidata||Collect and analyze the articles metadata and importing into wikidata||Event and editathon||Editathon and results visualization|
Measures of success
The project’s success will be measured from the following axes:
- Engaging USP libraries in GLAM/Bibliotecas USP for inclusion of articles.
- Adding USP librarians to GLAM for developing actions according to their libraries
- Increasing and improving data input of the journals quoted on Wikidata, monitored through Outreach dashboard.
- Final report of the register cooperation of the articles of USP journals, with data visualization in Scholia.
The University of São Paulo librarians are the projected target audience, however we hope the activities made public encourage the practice among varied university libraries, increasing the offer for structured and open data on Brazilian intellectual production. We expect up to 100 participants in all 3 events.
The editing marathons will serve as a mean of introducing this tool to the teams. The intro event, held on Librarian Day week, will elaborate on Wikidata’s potential, present the results achieved by the three libraries and the ongoing actions as also potentially move professionals into developing actions towards GLAM Bibliotecas USP.
The libraries currently participating in GLAM Bibliotecas USP are engaged in cooperative actions and dialoguing with WIki Movement Brazil. As it is, they are an instance with a potential to hold the librarian community motivated after the development of the activities related to the project.
|Chromebooks||Will be used on the editathons and later on will be available for loan and use of the library communities that are part of the project.*||15||6,000 (15x400)|
|Activities for dissemination (feed, marketing material, advertising the events)||Budget for the organization of two Wikidata editathons and for the introduction event.||3||300 (3x100)|
|Gift - E-reader||An award for the best achievement in both editathons.||2||200 (2x100)|
|Fiscal sponsor||650 (10%)|
*Obs: We have included this item for acknowledging that some participants (around 10%) do not own adequate equipment for the planned editing in the project, which may have impact in the engagement of the librarians. This kind of laptop has a low cost and will provide support for the online activities; it is a light device and has an operational system that allows easy internet use. Plus, after the project is finished, the purchased equipment will be reused in other GLAM Bibliotecas da USP initiatives, and will be placed available for loan in the participant libraries: ECA, FAU and IME. We remind you that the GLAM team, formed in July 2020, led a Workshop on wikidata at the beginning of September 2020 and is organizing another one on Wikipedia towards undergraduates for library studies of USP. It is scheduled to happen in October. These actions show the engagement towards Wikimedia and the interest in broadening new actions with the community to which such equipment is essential.
COVID risk assessment (for in-person events)
All activities are remote and no in-person event will be organized for the work.
Participation and divulgation on the following communities:
- Brazilian wikimedian community.
- Brazilian librarians community, including the Brazilian Federation of Librarians.
- Community of the University of Sao Paulo.
In addition, it is intended to publish articles and/or participate in events that spread the initiative and its results.
Optional: Community members are encouraged to endorse your proposal and leave a rationale here.
- Support This group of librarians has evolved as a leading entity in our GLAM ecosystem. Wiki Movimento Brasil has traditionally supported archives and museums, but we lacked stronger connections with libraries. Through the leadership of this group it was possible to establish this connection; more so, this group has evolved as a reference to open knowledge and the role of libraries in the region. I read this proposal as the possibility of establishing an infrastructure for continuing work and bringing the library community to the Wikimedia projects in Brazil, especially academic libraries from São Paulo. --Joalpe (talk) 16:36, 2 October 2020 (UTC)
- Support The Wiki Movimento Brasil has led many GLAM initiatives that serve as an example and inspiration for others, and Brazil is no doubt a benchmark when it comes to Open Access strategies for Journals with scientific relevance (see for instance: Scielo). The fact that these proposal brings both together through key actors in the OA movement (librarians) should be enough reason to support this endeavor. However, the fact that a "Wikibrarian" community of practice is developing in Latin America, increases the possibility of a global resonance. --Silva Selva (talk) 17:58, 2 October 2020 (UTC)
- Support Wikidata and Libraries are one of the most important liasons for the OpenGLAM Movement. Several properties have been created in Wikidata in order to enrich repositories and LOD published by libraries showing how collections can be reused. From my point of view, Brazil can be another successful approach that can be followed by other countries.--Gustavo.candela (talk) 18:51, 2 October 2020 (UTC)
- Support Supporting Wiki Movimiento Brasil will undoubtedly consolidate the link with libraries and further position its trajectory as a benchmark in the region in relation to open science.--Valentín Or
- Support Great initiative! This can be a good study case for other libraries in Brazil. Ixocactus (talk) 20:05, 2 October 2020 (UTC)
- Support Proyectos como este pueden promover que más instituciones científicas y culturales (GLAM) se acerquen a proyectos como Wikidata, busquen formas de usar estas herramientas para visibilizar sus colecciones y generen mayores posibilidades de que movimientos como _Open GLAM_ tengan un sentido y lugar en Latinoamérica. Esta es una oportunidad para que más iniciativas de este tipo puedan surgir en nuestra región. Leo (talk) 20:13, 2 October 2020 (UTC)
- Support It is a fantastic initiative! A great opportunity to empower Latin American libraries and librarians within Wikimedia Projects. I'm sure it'll be a great study case for other GLAM institutions. --Aidee MV (talk) 20:41, 2 October 2020 (UTC)
- Support Wiki Movimento Brasil conducts major GLAM partnerships in Brazil and has been responsible for bringing relevant institutions to the Open Access environment, with the GLAM from the University of São Paulo Libraries (GLAM Bibliotecas da USP) being one of the most important ones. The project already intends to grow a lot and, through this funding, I believe that not only will it have possibilities to grow much more, but it will also have the capacity to provide important metadata with further community involvement. -- GiFontenelle (talk) 21:44, 2 October 2020 (UTC)
- Support Es una iniciativa muy valiosa para pensar en GLAM desde América Latina y para conectar al continente con el movimiento en Brasil -- Juan Pablo Angarita Bernal
- Support This project opens an amazing opportunity to enrich Wikidata with quality data from academically backed Latin American sources. The project stands out for involving Librarians, which are undoubtedly key actors in Open Access endeavours. -- Occeppa Teteoixnamicqui
- Support Great initiative. The brazilian wikimedian community have a well know work with GLAM and academics institutions. It is key for the movement to work with librarians and the openaccess movement.Mauricio V. Genta (talk) 14:09, 5 October 2020 (UTC)
Any questions about this proposal and feedback from reviewers should be placed on the associated discussion page.