WikiCite 2018/Travel funding
We have a limited amount of travel scholarships available for WikiCite 2018 attendees
WikiCite will benefit from a diversity of experiences, and perspectives. Our travel scholarships are designed to help those who make an important contribution to our meeting, those from underrepresented groups and regions, as well as to encourage those from allied fields who have not traditionally attended Wikimedia conferences to help shape our work.
Participants are only eligible to apply for a travel scholarship if they don’t have financial support from their employer or organization. If you are unable to meet the costs of your attendance at WikiCite 2018, you may apply for a scholarship to attend.
WikiCite 2018 is awarding scholarships up to:
- $900 for those traveling from within North America
- $1,600 for those traveling from Europe
- $2,000 for those traveling from elsewhere
Because funds are limited, we encourage applicants to first seek support from their home institutions and organizations. Please apply for scholarships only if you do not have other resources available.
How to apply
Requests for travel funding can be made through the application form. Funding decisions will be communicated according to this timeline.
Reimbursements will be issued after the event against valid travel receipts for eligible costs.
Scholarships are meant to cover:
- Hotel (room + tax only) for the evenings of [nights of conference]
- Transportation to / from SFO or OAK via BART (or other affordable and reasonable forms of transportation to and from the airport)
- Meals not provided at the conference (November 27-29) (up to $27.75 for dinner, per Wikimedia policy)
All attendees are responsible for
- Incidentals (meals at the airport, hotel room food, etc)
- All other meals (breakfast, lunch and snacks will be provided for WikiCite participants during the event. The event also includes one evening social event)
- Extended hotel nights
- Transportation to non-meeting activities
Notes and restrictions
- Attendees must book their own flights and hotel rooms in advance and arrange for a visa/passport (if necessary). Please let us know in the application form if you need a letter for your visa application.
- Attendees must be able to legally receive reimbursement through U.S. banks. We are unable to provide scholarships for attendees from the following countries: Iran, Cuba, North Korea, Syria, and the Crimea Region-Ukraine/Russia.
- For any question about travel scholarships, please contact the organizing committee: firstname.lastname@example.org