WikiConference India 2016/Report/Jnanaranjan sahu
Welcome back from WikiConference India 2016!
- Option 3: New Creation: What was one useful outcome that was created at the event for the Wikimedia movement?
I have been introduced to an issue that some Tamil Wikipedians are having by User:Info-farmer. Some CSS code needs to make a tool box float so that it will be easy for users to insert the symbol. I have helped to create new CSS and assured to help further. As a community, we have discussed new roadmaps future plans of Odia Wikipedia. We have made some important discussions and I have assigned to create a new gadget for the Unicode converter.
- Add a link to something new that was created as a result of your participation in this event (for example, you might link to a new tool that you and your co-participants worked on at the Hackathon, or to pages created in a workshop you participated in).
I have given a talk on how we have built an converter to help in the growth of wikipedia. There are around 35 people attended that session.
Met with many new people and discussed on various wiki related topics.
- It was nice meeting with tony and he is going to help me in various technical contributions in the future.
- Met with Nahid and discussed wiki commons copyright issues.
- Met Jayant from Bengali Wikipedia and he taught me some useful things that need to be dome on Odia Wikisource.
- Met with Loganthan and discussed integrating bot on odia wiktionary.
- A lot of things learned and shared.
I have something to share as feedback.
- Everyone should be considered as equal, whether they are volunteers or WMF staff. There shouldn't be a different table for specific people. In an open culture giving preference to specific people is not good. I personally felt bad after checking evaluating the difference between Wikimania and WCi. In Wikimania, everyone is like the same but here you will find chairs for specific people or ranks.
- Food should not be denied to male participants from a specific buffet. We are talking about equality rather than feminism (I am not a victim but sharing experience from other peoples' feedback).
- I personally saw there are a lot of wastage of paper by printing the programs each day and printing the maps twice. One color maps would have been enough. Programs schedule can be checked online.
- Thank You very much for successfully organizing such a grand event.
- Hope to see everyone next year.
- A big thank to Punjabi Wikimedia Team and volunteers.