Please make sure to log in to Wikimedia Meta before creating your Proposal. If your submission is selected, we will contact your Wikipedia account so make sure your Username is correct.
- Title of the submission
Writing a good article
- Your Username (For the submission author)
- Type of presentation
- Abstract (in about 300 words)
Out of the five million articles on the English Wikipedia, around 24,000 are assessed as "good articles". "A good article (GA) is an article that meets a core set of editorial standards but is not featured article quality. Good articles meet the good article criteria, passing through the good article nomination process successfully. They are well written, contain factually accurate and verifiable information, are broad in coverage, neutral in point of view, stable, and illustrated, where possible, by relevant images with suitable copyright licenses."
While the description is clear and concise, most of the editors new to the area struggle to get it right. Developing an article for good article status can be a long process and requires a lot of time and dedication. Most of the times when newcomers fail to meet the criteria is when they fail to pay attention to the minor details. Writing a good article is not just about getting the prose right and a lot of technical work is required before it could be ready for a good article nomination. There are many unwritten dos and don'ts when it comes to improving an article for good article status. Also, there are various online tools, essays and cheat sheets that can significantly make the process easier.
The process of writing a good article can be long and without the appropriate knowledge, it can be very tiring. However, with proper direction, it is almost a piece of cake!
Interested attendees and comments
- I am not really writing long statements in any abstract but I am really very interested to attend this session. Yash is a very fine editor, and I have collaborated with him many times. He is an authority in the subject he has proposed, and I believe it'll be a good one. -- Tito Dutta (talk) 17:30, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
- As some one who has seen Yash's quality works for 4 years, I can safely assure this would be an interesting session. Will attend. ƬheStrikeΣagle 17:56, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
- I've edited numerous articles with Yash for the past four years, and personally believe this would be a great presentation. All the best! ----Rsrikanth05 (talk) 12:50, 25 July 2016 (UTC)
- Interested Sumita Roy Dutta (talk) 06:22, 28 July 2016 (UTC)
- I've been editing articles for past six months, but not satisfied. Specially want to improve in technical work.-- Abha Pradhan (talk) |Contribs) 03:47, 29 July 2016 (UTC)