WikiJournal User Group/Meetings/2020-06-12
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Roger Watson
- Jack Nunn
- Thomas Shafee
- Angelo Basteris
- Kelee Pacion
- Pete Forsyth
- Gwinyai Masukume
- Andrew Leung
- Jackie Koerner
- Andrea Rinaldi
- Isaac Olatunde
- Richard Knipel
- Ankan Ghosh Dastider
- + 4 others anonymous
- 15 mins - Presentation, summary & update of the current project status
- 40 minutes - Discussion, questions, ideas & feedback open to all participants
- What are the best ways to grow?
- What other publishing formats might be useful?
- Other methods of Wikimedia engagement?
- 7 articles published this year
- 35 articles in current pipeline at various stages (link)
- 5 editorial applications in need of comment (link)
- As of 15 May 2020, I notice that Dr Amelia Buttress has been accepted to join the Editorial board of the WikiJournal of Medicine. I’m not sure how to add her to the private email Editorial board.
- Surprisingly many smaller indexes, especially open ones, to apply to
- What are the benefits of seeking indexing?
- Discoverability (some people search indexes directly for journals and articles)
- Audit/verification (many indexes have entry requirements that demonstrate reputability)
- Special case: Web of Science calculates impact factor
- For growth
- Increase audience
- Increase submissions
- Increase ‘prestige’/value/reputation
- Perhaps the Journals could, as a beginning, start a YouTube Channel, be on LinkedIn?
- Are WikiJournals Reliable Sources for citation within Wikipedia?
- Need for journals to be considered “WP:RS” to be cited (last conversation on topic within WP was >1 yr ago)
- For wikipedia pages adapted from a WJ article, an attribution/explanation template is used at the top of the references section
- AWARE is a really important word...I would say raise visibility. I have been in science for a really long time, and had never heard of these projects before being contacted. I have some ideas that might raise visibility, but they might take resources. I'll wait until everyone else has stated ideas.
- Is there budget to support people to presentat at conferences?
- 2020 budget via ‘rapid grant’ only $2000
- Scope to make 2021 budget larger (via ‘Simple Annual Plan Grant’)
- National/regional wikimedia chapters may also have some budget to support
- Work with Wikipedians in residence?
- Video information
- Focused/short presentation video needed to explain to new people
- For twitter, youtube, sharing, introducing ideas
- Remember, youtube is not just a host for videos, but basically a widely used search engine. What do we want to come up when people search for relevant terms?
- author-submitted supplementary video
- video abstracts
- Pete Forsyth blog & [https://www.youtube.com/user/WikiStrategies YouTube channel]
- Wikipedia Weekly
- Open Science podcast
- Copy these minutes from the google doc to metawiki within 48 hours (Thomas Shafee)
- Record a video to introduce people to WikiJournals (Thomas Shafee- probably) if we write a script, several of us could help produce a video
- Pete to follow up with Thomas (?) about a brief interview for YouTube
- Communication strategy - social media team (Kelee Pacion can lead the planning)