WikiJournal User Group
The WikiJournal User Group (previously the Wikiversity Journal User Group) is a publishing group of open access, peer reviewed academic journals that integrate their content into Wikipedia where possible. WikiJournals dual-publish accepted articles to create both a stable, version of record, and also integrate suitable information into Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. This improves the accuracy of the encyclopedia, and rewards authors with citable, indexed publications with much greater reach than traditional scholarly publishing.
Several article formats are published, including broad review articles that become Wikipedia pages (either written from scratch, or adapted from existing Wikipedia pages), focused review articles that may be used to update just one section of a Wikipedia page, multimedia articles that are used to enrich Wikipedia articles, and original research.
The mission of the WikiJournals is to publish scholarly works with no cost for the authors, apply quality checks on submissions by expert academic peer review, and make accepted works available online free of charge, in perpetuity.
WikiJournals emphasize transparency throughout the publication process, from peer review to the final version. Thereby, WikiJournals encourage editors to not only summarize existing human knowledge, but also to build upon it. WikiJournals uses an open-access academic publishing model, which scholars and academics may be more familiar with, and so provides citable, indexed articles. It thus generates both quality content and increased participation in Wikimedia projects.
Journals in this group
The WikiJournal User Group is intended to support an expanding group of open access journals focused on various topics.
|Journal title||Logo||Scope||Peer reviews||Abides||Indexed & Listed||Started|
|WikiJournal of Medicine
|Public academic peer review by independent experts||ICMJE
|WikiJournal of Science
(inc. physics, biology,
|Public academic peer review by independent experts||COPE
|WikiJournal of Humanities
|Intended: Public academic peer review by independent experts||COPE
|Unified article submission||Articles in preparation, or undergoing peer review for publication in one of the other WikiJournals||No||ResearchPreprints||2017|
WikiJournal of Medicine
WikiJournal of Medicine is a scientific journal in medicine and biomedicine. It is an open access journal with no publication cost for authors. It was started in 2014. All included articles have been peer reviewed by medical experts. Edits to accepted journal articles may be reverted if they are not merely technical in nature, since changes to the main text may require renewed peer review.
WikiJournal of Medicine abides by several journal guidelines:
- ICMJE recommendations: 
- COPE code of conduct 
- Budapest Open Access Initiative recommendations: 
WikiJournal of Science
WikiJournal of Science provides students and instructors at or near the college or university level with concise articles on science, technology, engineering and mathematics that are focused to specific levels of education. It does not plan to publish scientific research or discussions on how to teach. While editors are committed to having each article reviewed by at least one person familiar with the subject, this is not a traditional peer-reviewed journal.
This journal can accept submissions from any Wikimedia sister project, or even abridged versions of such articles. Each published article is available in both editable and uneditable forms, including a PDF format that is convenient for off-line viewing or paper-copy printing. The CC-by-SA license places well over 5 million articles in this journal's "in-box".
WikiJournal of Humanities
WikiJournal of Humanities is a peer-reviewed journal for humanities, arts, and social sciences topics. It produces a stable, citable version as well as contents suitable for inclusion in Wikimedia projects.
Journal scientifique libre
You can contribute to WikiJournals in many ways, including those in list below. More specific information can be found at each journal, such as at WikiJournal of Medicine/Contribute.
- Submitting an article to a journals (including Wikipedia articles)
- Peer review of article submissions
- Outreach to potential article authors, including:
- Two posters are available: (WJM_Poster.pdf and WJS_Poster.pdf)
- Many scholars have written literature reviews in their theses that are not published, but may have sections that could very well fit into a journal
- Students often complete a research project as a part of their studies, many of which could be potentially published (e.g. participants in wikiedu.org)
- Donate to Wikimedia Foundation
- Add a post-publication peer review of an existing publication
- Apply to join the editorial board of a journal
- Share your ideas on a potential future of WikiJournals as separate Wikimedia project.
- Translate journal pages into other languages. Wikiversity currently exists in the following other languages: Čeština, Deutsch, Español, Français, Italiano, 한국어, Português, Slovenščina, Suomi, Svenska, Ελληνικά, Русский, العربية, 日本語
- Start a journal
- Join the general public email list for WikiJournals
- Follow a specific WikiJournal:
- WikiJournal of Medicine: 6,917
- WikiJournal of Science: 4,448
- WikiJournal of Humanities: 852
Articles that are integrated into Wikipedia received further views of 400,000 per month on that site in December 2018:
- WikiJournal of Medicine: 140,572 (with a further 257,145 from articles with sections from WikiJMed articles)
- WikiJournal of Science: 168,110
- WikiJournal of Humanities: 93,480
Each WikiJournal has an editorial board that makes decisions regarding the journal and its contents, as well as associate editors for further assistance:
- WikiJournal of Medicine: Board and associate editors
- WikiJournal of Science: Board and associate editors
- WikiJournal of Humanities: Board and associate editors
The administrative board of WikiJournal consists of users who participate in common interests of the journals. Members of the administrative board also direct the creation and/or acceptance of additional journals in this group. It has a more administrative role such as financials, while the editorial boards of individual journals are more of subject-specific nature such as acceptance of articles. Discussions should take place on this Discuss page or at the public mailing list at https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikijournal-en. Important discussions or decisions should be shared with individual journal boards as well.
Membership in the administrative is not a requirement to contribute to WikiJournal or any of the included journals, even as a journal official such as a board member. For more information, see Bylaws of WikiJournal.
Members of the administrative board
- Thomas Shafee, Chair of the administrative board since June 2018. Biochemistry researcher in Australia. Editor-in-chief of Wiki.J.Science. Also editor for Wiki.J.Med and PLOS Topics Pages.
- Mikael Häggström, MD. Resident physician in pathology in Sweden. WikiJournal tasks: Editor-in-chief of Wiki.J.Med, technical administrator of domain names and email lists, Facebook administrator of WikiJMed, and keeping financials.
- Frances Di Lauro. Senior Lecturer in Writing Studies in Australia. Also editor-in-chief of Wiki.J.Hum.
- Guy vandegrift, Associate professor of Physics at Wright State University Lake Campus. Taught college physics for 32 years and have written 23 papers in plasma physics, musical acoustics and other topics related to university-level teaching. Founded the Second Journal of Science (which now redirects to Wiki.J.Science.)
- Daniel Mietchen, Data scientist at the University of Virginia. Also editor for PLOS Topics Pages.
- Marshallsumter, Henry Adolph Hoff, accomplishments and publications can be found using Google Scholar or other searches with "HA Hoff" or "Henry A. Hoff", the biology and psychology are not mine as yet.
Membership in the administrative board is voluntary, that is, for no financial gain. Members of the administrative board should not disclose the identities of pseudonymous participants of WikiJournal. You should be familiar with the bylaws of WikiJournal. You should keep yourself updated about what is happening by adding at least the main Discuss page to your watchlist and subscribe to the public mailing list at https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikijournal-en.
The application is made as an entry at this Discuss page. Please, include a short description about yourself in your entry, including any Wikipedia or Wikiversity involvement of yours, as well as any relevant academic experience.
Current technical editor of WikiJournal User Group:
- Vacant position
- Further information: WikiJournal User Group/Technical editor
- No cost for authors to have their works published
- Open access for anyone to read, adapt, and distribute without cost
- Peer review of all articles before publication, by at least two knowledgeable persons for the subject at hand
- Transparency, with peer reviews and article discussions being open for everyone
- Engagement, with anyone free to share ideas, contribute to, and edit the journals (but changes to an article's meaning require a new peer review)
- User Group
- 2016-05-31: Recognition as a Wikimedia User Group
- 2017-10-23: Registration as a non-profit organization in Sweden
- 2019-10-15: Awarded Open Publishing Award in the Open Publishing Models category
- Individual journals
- History of WikiJournal of Medicine
- History of WikiJournal of Science
- History of WikiJournal of Humanities
- Annual reports
- Meeting minutes
- Application to become a thematic orgnaisation
- Proposal to found a Wikimedia Journals 'Sister project'
- Presentation at Wikimania 2019
- Article about the project in The Signpost, 30 June 2019
- Article about the project in The Conversation. May 24, 2016
- Podcast by Primedia Broadcasting. May 31, 2016
- Preliminary WikiJournal of Business and Economics - The nucleus/start of a business journal.
- Comparison to other non-Wikimedia journals
- Registered in Connecticut, United States, on June 22, 2020. Also registered in Sweden (Organization #: 802511-9275, but this will be cancelled before the end of 2020
- After filtering out known search engine crawlers.