Wiki Project Med/Board/Meetings/2017-02-18
This is the agenda for the board meeting to be held on February 18, 2017 from 16:00 to 18:00 UTC.
Meeting will take place via Google hangouts
- Approval of the agenda
- Approval of the minutes of the January 28, 2017 meeting
- Old business
- Formation of Governance Committee (see proposed resolution below)
- Authorize opening of bank account
- Discuss upcoming Wikimedia Conference in Berlin
- Strategy discussion
- New business
- Formalize activity expectations of board members
- Discuss situation regarding legal support
Governance Committee Resolution
- The Governance Committee ("Committee") is an advisory committee of the Board of Directors ("Board").
- The role of the Committee shall be to advise the Board on legal and governance matters relevant to the mission or business of the Corporation; and to assist the Board in preparing and reviewing policies, contracts, and other legal documents.
- The Committee shall not be authorized to act on behalf of the Board or the Corporation and shall serve only to advise the Board or to carry out tasks delegated by the Board.
- The Committee shall consist of several members that may, but need not, be Directors.
- The initial members of the Committee shall be Shani Evenstein, James Hare, James Heilman, and Carl-Fredrik Sjöland, with James Hare as chair.
Wiki Project Med Foundation
Meeting of the Board of Directors
February 18, 2017 at 16:00 UTC
- Shani Evenstein
- James Hare
- James Heilman
- Daniel Mietchen
- Sydney Poore
- Subas Chandra Rout
- Carl Fredrik Sjöland
- Vinicius Siqueira
- Doug Taylor
Not in attendance:
- Jacob de Wolff
- Jake Orlowitz
- Emily Temple-Wood
The meeting was called to order at 16:05 and began with introductions.
1. A motion by James Heilman to approve the agenda of the meeting was seconded and passed without dissent.
2. A motion by James Heilman to approve the minutes of the January 28, 2017 meeting was seconded and passed without dissent.
3. The proposed governance committee policy was read and discussed. The rationale for creating the committee was discussed, including its role to ensure that the organization has sound processes and protocols, and that they propose matters for the full board's consideration. A motion by James Hare to approve the resolution creating the committee was seconded and passed without dissent.
1. The Governance Committee ("Committee") is an advisory committee of the Board of Directors ("Board"). 2. The role of the Committee shall be to advise the Board on legal and governance matters relevant to the mission or business of the Corporation; and to assist the Board in preparing and reviewing policies, contracts, and other legal documents. 3. The Committee shall not be authorized to act on behalf of the Board or the Corporation and shall serve only to advise the Board or to carry out tasks delegated by the Board. 4. The Committee shall consist of several members that may, but need not, be Directors. 5. The initial members of the Committee shall be Shani Evenstein, James Hare, James Heilman, and Carl-Fredrik Sjöland, with James Hare as chair.
4. The authorization of opening the bank account was discussed, including the potential for having bank accounts in multiple countries. It was recommended to keep it as simple as possible and not have accounts in multiple countries. The need is free checking. The organization needs to check what the law requires and procedures for dual authorizations of transactions. James Heilman moved to authorize the Chair to open a bank account on behalf of the foundation in Canada, provided the act is approved by legal counsel. The motion was seconded and passed without dissent.
5. The Wikimedia Conference in Berlin was discussed. James Heilman referred to earlier comments he made on Meta-Wiki, outlining his thoughts on expanding community, content quality, access, and the organization. Shani suggested that the organization explicitly includes the education community in its strategy. Daniel Mietchen suggested that the public health community and software developers be included. Sydney Poore said in general the organization should focus on strategic partnerships. Daniel Mietchen recommended engaging with hackathon participants. Shani recommended that we try to recruit technical support at the Wikimedia Conference. Syndey Poore suggests that it may be helpful to establish a committee to consider technical matters relevant to the work of the organization. James Hare and Daniel Mietchen expressed an interest in serving on that committee, and it was pointed out that such a committee would provide an opportunity to get technical input from the WP MED community more broadly. Shani Evenstein recommended having it officially on the agenda for Berlin.
- Doug Taylor joined the meeting at 16:44 and Carl Fredrik Sjöland joined the meeting at 16:45 *
6. The organization’s strategy was discussed. James Hare asked about the organization's strategic goals. Doug Taylor recommended focusing on our work outside of English Wikipedia. Carl Fredrik Sjöland noted his work with medical translation, leading to an overall discussion on emerging communities. Shani Evenstein recommended participating in regional conferences such as the CEE Conference. James Heilman said we could set a measurable goal around conference participation. Sydney Poore recommended that the organization's talks be made into templates that others could use to present at meetings; this is another measurable goal. Carl Fredrik Sjöland noted his participation at eHealthWeek. Sydney Poore noted that at Cochrane she gave online trainings, and that the organization needs to document its work as an organization more. Daniel Mietchen recommended writing brief reports for regular consumption and writing formal case studies, bringing up the example of his work with Zika Virus journal articles on Wikidata. Doug Taylor recommended writing articles for the Signpost and similar publications. Carl Fredrik Sjöland noted the Wikimedia Foundation blog. Sydney Poore said we need to proactively reach out to others to engage them in their work, rather than wait for them to come to us. James Heilman noted the past lists of top medical editors in all languages. James Hare noted the WikiProject Directory list. James Heilman mentioned undisclosed paid editing. Sydney Poore expressed hesitency of the organization itself being involved but should support the movement as a whole in addressing the issue. Carl Fredrik Sjöland noted that there is not a lot that the organization can work on as an organization, but James Heilman noted that it can be discussed in Berlin. James Hare noted that as an organization information surrounding undisclosed paid editing should be tracked. Shani Evenstein noted success with combatting plagiarism, but Daniel Mietchen noted that there is less a legal mandate for combatting paid editing. Carl Fredrik Sjöland noted the FTC actually does combat it; James Heilman noted FDA rules as well. James Heilman noted the controversy of outing anonymous paid editors. Overall consensus is that it is a nuanced and difficult issue. Shani Evenstein suggested that we should discuss it in Berlin. James Hare mentioned offline access. Sydney Poore noted that diversity needs to be included explicitly as a goal; otherwise there will not be sufficient resourcing or focus. Shani Evenstein noted that mentorship is different from strategic partnerships; mentorship is very one-on-one. Daniel Mietchen noted that topic areas and more underlying priorities could be categorized as different types of priorities. James Hare agreed and will reflect this in the draft. Sydney Poore noted that a draft should be prepared.
A summary of the general themes discussed include: governance, tech, communication, resources, mentorship, strategic partnerships (outreach and inreach), undisclosed paid editing, increasing diversity, offline access, and emergencies.
7. Project management was discussed, with a consensus to set up a work board on the Wikimedia Phabricator website.
- Vinicius Siqueira joined at 17:44 *
8. Closing remarks were shared.
James Heilman adjourned the meeting at 18:10