Wikicite/grant/Bibliography of post-independence Nigerian newspapers and publishing houses/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- Though the project's goals were partly met, however, we are happy about the new things that were learnt and the number of newspapers that were created and improved as well.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|25 journalists will participate in the event||19 journalists participated in the 3 ]days event||https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/courses/Wikimedia_User_Group_Nigeria/Bibliography_of_post-independence_Nigerian_newspapers_and_publishing_houses|
|At least 5 journalists will continue to edit after the event||more than 3-5 editors continue to edit Wikipedia after the training.||We have created a Whats-app group to coordinate activities of the participants.|
|We will hold a 2-day training and 1 editathon that will focus on Wikipedia, Wikidata and Commons||2days Training + 1 ediathon was organised.|
|at least 100 Wiki-data items and link at least 50 Wiki-data items to Wikipedia.||over 50 Wiki data items were created and improved about newspaper and its publishers in Nigeria and link to various wikipedia pages.||We noticed that the list of newspaper provided by the external database were duplicated, e.g a single entity of newspaper existing as online and offline were listed twice, instead as an entity. For this work, both the online and offline platform of a newspaper are counted as an entity. Also, non of the newspapers' "items" on Wiki data has "Publisher" as "property". So, we created "publisher" as "property" and its corresponding "Value" for all the newspapers.|
|We will ensure at least 2 months after the event 5 editors has gotten 50 edits each.||on going|
|We will create a bibliography for at least 100 publishing houses in Nigeria since independence in 1960.||We were only able to create 54 verifiable items
see the link here
|Contrary to our pre-project research, each newspaper existed as an online and offline, so they were listed twice during our preliminary check.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- We were able to secure partnership with Nigerian Institute of Journalist ( NIJ) as an institution with track-able record of training journalists in Nigeria.
- We had access to archive of the institution which was used to review and improve the existing list on Wikipedia
- What did not work so well?
- The END SARS: the protest against police brutality in Nigeria did affect the schedule of our eventual partner which led to several changes in the event date.
- Most of the newspapers could not enjoy standalone article because they couldn't meet General Notability Guidelines (GNG).
- Since the majority of our participants are newbies, they require a threshold of 10 edits counts before they could publish articles on Wikipedia.
- We experienced IP Range Block during the training, though, we contacted the admin that activated the block. But it couldn't be resolved until we left the event.
- What would you do differently next time?
- We plan to hold a workshop with Newspapers and media practitioners in the country about the need to create more media visibility for their entity.
- We plan to notify stakeholders eg Admins ( Through the Admin Notice board) on each Wikimedia project about our project before kick-off to prevent the occurrence of on-Wiki challenges.
- We hope to carry out a preliminary check about the skill sets of our proposed participants to determine their competence before selection for the training.
- We will sure that we confirm all accounts before the kick-off event.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- The detail expense sheet , here as google document.
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Anything else you want to share about your project?