As the Old ui we refer to the project's initial repository sided implementation of the user interface for editing an Entity's label, description, aliases and site-links as well as the terms table for editing label and description in different languages. Everything within
wikibase.ui has been created as part of the old ui. Some parts have been re-factored out by now, e.g. toolbar related code.
Implementation around "Editable Values"
The following figures show the label of an item. It can be edited by clicking edit, after that it will expand (second figure).
The following figure shows a more complex example of the implementation, the list of site-links which contains of a list of values. Values can be added and removed, not just edited
- (1) wikibase.ui.PropertyEditTool
- A container managing several values. When the page is loaded and one of these is initialized for a DOM element, all existing values within will be initialzed and a Toolbar (4) will be served. This will also serve the functionality to add new values with its own Toolbar (5). In certain cases it is not required (at the moment) to manage several values or to add and remove values. This is the case for an items label and description.
- (2) wikibase.ui.PropertyEditTool.EditableValue
- Is representing a values representation in the DOM as well as the input interface for the value when in edit mode. One editable value can contain several Interfaces (3) depending on the values structure and requirement. Serves functionality to start and stop editing the value and will trigger its interfaces to transform from the static DOM into an editable form. It also holds necessary information to make an API call to change the represented value there.
- (3) wikibase.ui.PropertyEditTool.EditableValue.Interface
- Used by an EditableValue (2), representing one part of the value within the DOM and serves the input form to edit the value. Usually different variations of this are just used as wrappers, holding a jQuery widget (e.g. a data picker or a map). This is necessary to have a very basic common (programming-) interface for different widgets as well as managing the widgets static DOM representation.
- (4) wikibase.ui.Toolbar
- Serves a toolbar which can hold several buttons, labels etc. to control the edit process and to remove the whole value in case the functionality is available for the related PropertyEditTool (1)
- (5) wikibase.ui.Toolbar
- Serves a toolbar which can hold several buttons, labels etc. to control the process of adding whole new values in case the functionality is available for the related PropertyEditTool (1)
The implementation started during April 2012 as initial front-end component of the wikibase repository extension. A few milestones along the way:
- April 2012: Support for labels got implemented
- April 2012: Support for descriptions got implemented
- Mai 2012: Initial implementation of site-links
- June 2012: Initial implementation of aliases
- August 2012: Started implementation on new "Grid Layout"
- November 2012: Start of new ui implementation as
jQuery.wikibase. Plan to abandon and port old ui over time.
- February 2013: "Terms table" with edit features for label and description in other languages
- July 2013:
wikibase.ui.Toolbarand related components got refactored as