This is a work in progress. Feel free to improve
- Country: New Zealand
- City proposed: Auckland
- Proposed dates: Friday through Sunday
- Contact person(s): TheFearow
- SkyCity Conventions in SkyCity Auckland (official website)
- They offer a combination of rooms, with each floor containing 4 medium rooms, 2 small rooms, and four medium/large rooms plus a thin but long hallway in between, and these rooms have (re)movable walls in between.
- They have two floors like the above, plus a bottom floor with atrium etc available for signins, registration, etc.
- You may book only certain rooms, or combinations of certain rooms
- They offer accomidation at the adjoining SkyCity Hotel, which has an above-road walkway to the facilities on level 5.
- It is right next door to the Sky Tower, a popular tourist spot, and the tallest building in New Zealand.
- They offer catering
- Main hall: On each floor, a combination of four rooms+wide hallway in the main area, which has (re)movable walls.
- Seminar rooms: Four medium rooms on each floor
- Lounge facilities: Two business suites on each floor (small)
- Other rooms (organisation, staff, speakers, interviews/press, storage): Kitchens, large cargo lifts (enough to lift vehicles), Some of the business suite could be used for this
- No current communication
- Technical facilities
- Existing technical installations
- High speed broadband
- Customisable networks
- Conference microphone system
- Video conferencing
- Data projection
- Motorised screens
- Lighting, stage, and sound
- High-end sound systems
- Intelligent stage lighting
- Permanent Curtain Track
- Rigging for trussing and banners
- Substantial patching for audio, visual, and IT needs
- Experienced technicians and event managers
- Control rooms
- Wireless Network implementation
- Existing technical installations
- They have customisable networks and high-speed broadband, and the hotel provides broadband as well.
- Location of main accommodation facilities
- Directly over the road, via a skybridge between level 5 of the facilities and the hotel complex
- Room details and price range
- 4+ Star Hotel, 344 rooms. Rooftop swimming pools, gym, etc. Grand hotel also available across road if full, 5 star. All part of the SkyCity complex, including casinos, cafes, restaurants, etc website
- Catering (one meal a day, breakfast is a plus)
- In-conference catering available, with a choice of menus etc, can also be customised or done in-house. Choice of cafes and restaurants available in SkyCity complex. Meals available as part of meal plans at hotel.
- contacts with accommodation partner(s)
- No current contact
Wikimania traditionally hosts two parties, one for attendees (capacity of 250-350) and one for sponsors and VIPs (capacity 40-60).
- Attendees party propositions
Either same location several days before, in the main room, or one of the adjoining facilities
- Sponsor party proposition
Smaller side room, with capacity of around 80-100 people
Transportation and visa
- Estimation of travel costs from all continents:
- Around NZ$1000 to get to US or Australia
- Visa requirements: fairly lax, see w:Immigration New Zealand#Visa_and_Permit_Exemptions
- Distance from international airport(s)and how do we get to the location:
Local sponsorship opportunities
Possibility of local sponsorships
- To find
- Matt (TheFearow), can help set up. I can offer networking, lighting, etc design and setup. I know the location as have previously been there on a Microsoft conference
- Weaknesses of the proposed location ...and how to overcome those weaknesses
- Weakness 1
- Solution 1
- Weakness 2
- Solution 2
- Strengths of the proposed location
- Strength 1
- Strength 2