Wikimedia Blog/Drafts/News on Wikipedia 2015-11-12

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Was not published in the midst of Paris.

Title ideas[edit]

  • ...
  • ...


A brief, one-paragraph summary of the post's content, about 20-80 words. On the blog, this will be shown in the chronological list of posts or in the featured post carousel on top, next to a "Read more" link.

  • ...


On 8 November 2015, the Myanma public[1] for the went to the polls to elect a new national government. The historic vote saw the National League for Democracy (NLD), led by Aung San Suu Kyi, win a large majority of the votes cast. They beat the military-backed Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP), the Shan Nationalities League for Democracy (SNLD), and dozens of smaller parties.

This year's election saw 75% of the available seats in the national parliament up for grabs; the remaining 25% have been reserved for military officials. The NLD took 217 and 110 seats in the lower and upper houses of Myanmar's parliament, respectively, of 330 and 168 that were up for election. The USDP took 28 and 12, and third-place SNLD won 12 and 3 seats; the military will hold 110 and 56 seats.

Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, is a country in Southeast Asia that borders India and Thailand. In its modern history, it was a British colony until 1948, when it declared independence. Its first democratic vote in 1990 was won by Suu Kyi's NLD, but the military dictatorship at the time refused to recognize the results. Another vote was held in 2010, but the opposition parties boycotted it; as such, the Economist called this year's election the "first proper election in a generation" for the country, although there has been some consternation at the disenfranchisement of the Rohingya.

Your name, your affiliation

  1. "Myanma" is the demonym for the Myanma people.


Ideas for social media messages promoting the published post:

Twitter (@wikimedia/@wikipedia):

(Tweet text goes here - max 117 characters)


  • ...