Wikimedia Foundation/Annual Report/2010-2011/Index
The Wikimedia Foundation operates 11 free knowledge projects managed and built by a community of over 100,000 active volunteers.
Wikipedia® Free encyclopedia
The free encyclopedia containing more than 20.6 million articles in more than 280 languages. The most comprehensive and widely used reference work humans have ever compiled. 100,000 active volunteers contribute new content every month.
Wikimedia Commons™ Shared media repository
A repository of almost 13 million freely usable images, sound and video files, serving both Wikimedia’s projects and countless other educational and informational needs.
MediaWiki® Open-source wiki software
The leading open-source wiki software on the Internet which acts as the backbone for all of the Wikimedia Foundation’s wikis and thousands of other wiki communities.
Wikispecies™ Dictionary of species
Wikibooks™ Free textbooks and manuals
Wikinews® Free content news source
Wikiquote™ Collection of free quotations
Wiktionary® Dictionary and thesaurus
Meta-wiki™ Project coordination
Wikiversity™ Free learning tools
Wikisource® Free source documents
Figures as of October 2011 unless otherwise stated
- Unique visitors to Wikimedia Foundation sites, September 2011: 454 million
- Language editions of Wikipedia: 282
- Average number of new articles created daily, July 2010 through June 2011: 8,371
- Number of articles across all Wikipedia language editions: 20.6 million
- Number of edits to Wikipedia, July 2010 through June 2011: 139.3 million
- Average monthly page views, July 2010 through June 2011: 13.6 billion
All images from the Wikimedia Commons are under a CC BY SA or public domain license unless otherwise stated. The content contained within the annual report is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License v.3.0 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:CC-BY-SA) or any later version. The trademarks and logos of the Wikimedia Foundation and any other organization are not included under the terms of this Creative Commons license. Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimania, Wikipedia, Commons, MediaWiki, Wiktionary, Wikibooks, Wikisource, Wikinews, Wikiquote, Wikiversity, Wikispecies, and Meta-wiki are pending trademark registration or are registered trademarks of Wikimedia Foundation.
For more information, please see our Trademark Policy page, http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy. For other questions about our licensing terms or trademark policy, please email legalwikimedia.org.
Design by EXBROOK, San Francisco
Story consultant: David Weir
Photo retouching: Daniel Furon
for a summary report of the 2010-11 Annual Report in French, Japanese, Spanish, German, Arabic, and Portugese.
- Stabilize infrastructure
- Increase participation
- Improve quality
- Increase reach
- Encourage innovation
Wikimedia Foundation targets for 2015
- Increase the total number of people served to 1 billion
- Increase the number of Wikipedia articles we offer to 50 million
- Ensure information is high quality by increasing the percentage of material reviewed to be of high or very high quality by 25 percent
- Encourage readers to become contributors by increasing the number of total editors per month who made >5 edits to 200,000
- Support healthy diversity in the editing community by doubling the percentage of female editors to 25 percent and increase the percentage of Global South editors to 37 percent
- Wikimedia Foundation
- 149 New Montgomery Street
- San Francisco, CA 94105 USA
- +1 415-839-6885
|You are more than welcome to edit this report for the purposes of usefulness, presentation, etc., and to add to the translations.|