Hello, Wikimedia Norge members and other contributors, here is our newsletter for November 2019.
During one week of October, Giellavahkku, the UN International Year of Indigenous Languages was celebrated all over the country. Wikimedia Norge was recently granted money from the Sámi Parliament's language funds to create an education program in cooperation with the Sámi University of Appliec Sciences and the University of Tromsø for students to contribute to the Wikipedia in Northern Sámi, or to contribute Sámi content to other Wikimedia projects in general. We have also been granted money from Fritt Ord to put Sámi place names in Wikidata, in cooperation with the Norwegian Mapping Authority. You can read more about this work on our blog.
The jury has finished its task for this year's Wiki Loves Monuments, and the 10 winning photos that go on to the international part of the contest have been announced on the winners page on Commons. Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks a lot to all contestants and jurors!
Here's an overview of Wikimedia Norge events happening in the next few months:
- Bodil Biørn and women's invisibility in history
- On the 11th of November, Wikimedia Norge and the National Archives of Norway invites you to an event at the National Archive from 17:00 till 19:00. History has often been written by and for men. This is reflected in archives, history books, and on Wikipedia. Why is it important to make source material showing women's perspective on history available? The event is free and open to all. Welcome!
- Meet-up at Litteraturhuset
- On the 28th of November, Wikimedia Norge invites you to a meet-up at Litteraturhuset in Oslo from 18:00 till 19:00. Ruth Vatvedt Fjell will be presenting.
- Fjell, who is quite interested in curse words, is a professor of lexicography and cares about how language can maintain unbalanced gender patterns. Wikipedia is a huge knowledge base where anyone can contribute. Therefore it's right to ask what the type of language we use means for how knowledge is disseminated?
- The event is free and open to all. Welcome! Tables in the bar have been reserved from 19:00 for those who wish to continue the discussion there.
- Deadline for applying for wikigrants
- The 20th of November is the deadline for applying for wikigrants. You can apply for getting expenses related to contributing to Wikimedia projects covered.
- Dissemination of Retriever accesses
- Also on the 20th of November, 6 accesses to Retriever will be disseminated to active Wikipedia contributors who could use this tool to write articles.
Did you forget to pay your membership fees for 2019? You can always re-register on this page.