WMZA Board meeting
20 November 2018 | 19h00 - 20h00
Afrikaans Writing competition
- Planning 15 Dec - 15 Jan destubathon
- Proposal for Amazon gift vouchers as prize
- US$140 in total asked for from the 2018 grant budget
- Rossouw, Adriaan, Gert will be judges for the event based on quanitity of articles destubbed.
- 5k bit min as a entry requirement
- Vote passes. Chapter will purchase US$140 worth of Amazon gift vouchers
Afrikaans Wikipedia Maroela Media
- Deon has forwarded email to Douglas and Ian. Ian will forward to board for further discussion
2019 Grant update
- Douglas has submitted application - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Simple/Applications/Wikimedia_South_Africa/2019
- WMF turned down funding for employee
- Want to see improvement in reporting track record, improvement in capacity
- Have suggested short-term contract for a particular project
- Douglas suggests Wiki Loves Earth
- Instead of funding for language conference (Afrikaans), suggest scholarships to WikiIndaba (now that's it's been postponed)
- Michael's Hackathon has been budgeted for under the description "WikiFundi Competition", but still needs to be added to the grant plan wiki.
- Wiki Loves Earth planned for May (assuming we get contractor)
- Douglas has run Wiki Loves Monuments before, has good idea of what is needed
- Will participation be open to board members? Possibly, but certainly not to judges
- Estimate first prize of about R2000
- Need to discuss the process of hiring the contractor. Douglas does not see it as himself, but has person in mind.
- Ian is looking at moving from 1grid as their support is poor and there has been a huge increase in the hosting fee. Unfortunately, we have paid up for the year again. Recommends that we start paying on a monthly basis from 2019/20 onwards whilst looking for other hosting options.
- Douglas recommends that we start moving the periphery sites (WikiLovesMonuments, WikiIndaba, Jobergpedia, etc) to Wikimedia to save costs and reduce server burden
- Reuben and Ian have looked into moving the whole website to Wikimedia Foundation servers. Decided against it as we can't then continue to use our existing WMZA url.
- Those that want to send (and not just receive) emails from their wikimedia.org.za accounts need to have an account. Ian will add those that request.
- Twitter: Ian to share login details with those that want it
Meeting ends: agree to cover remaining agenda topics at next meeting
Membership system update
Allocation of board positions and responsibilities
Planning for 1st Quarterly activities for 2019
Next board meeting
- Ian to create Doodle poll for next meeting (4th or 5th December)