Update on Puleng Kekana from the National Archives
- Bobby has made contact and explained that WMZA is interested in working with them. He was enthusiastic and asked for suggestions on possible collaborations. Bobby has requested a list of images and possible assets that can be uploaded to Commons
- Another meeting has been scheduled for Thursday.
- Feedback from Wynand: https://africanarchives.sabinet.co.za/collection/
- Suggestion that we keep an eye on this list and see where we can feed this into WikiCommons and WikiData.
- Comment from Michael:
- AFLIA (African Federation of Library * Information Associations) is looking for a Wikipedian in residence and that could also be a good person for Bobby and Puleng to talk to.
Update on Hack your culture from Goethe
- Feedback from Michael: We had a meeting with the consultant engaged in running the process. He has brought up the topic of previous colabs with SADILAR (SA Language Resources).
- From Bobby: The institute will be holding a hackathon and are looking for a few speakers. We need to identify two people (Bobby included) to be part of the round table discussions.
- Bobby has recommended hosting 1-2 Wikipedia workshops as part of this hackathon.
- Michael suggests contacting Reuben (Wiki Editor) incase he is interested in being part of the discussions
Update on the Maroela media issue/ meeting with lawyers from WMF
- Douglas to feedback on this
Update on Iziko, LGBTQ+ edit workshop
- New WMF member (trust and safety team) that knows someone at Iziko (Tsegofatso) and has suggested that we host an edit workshop focusing on LGBTQ+ issues.
- Bobby has contacted Tsegofatso from Iziko. Dates to be decided. TBC - December.
- The WMZA and Iziko platforms will be used to advertise this event.
- If any boardmembers know LGBTQ+ community members, names to be shared with Bobby so that they can be invited.
- Wynand suggests that Iziko starts by rewriting their Wiki page as a starting point. Specifical items missing:
- Additional citations needed.
- Historical additions needed.
- Director's name missing
- Bobby and Ian reminds that they should not be editing their own page as there is a conflict of interest.
Update on the hiring process of the service provider
- Please share ideas of where we can post our opening
- Mail & Guardian - suggested by Wynand
- WMZA email list
- Sangonet (http://www.ngopulse.org/about)
- What email address should we use for applications? email@example.com?
- Douglas to come up with questions
- Remuneration to be confirmed - R200 - R300 per hour.
- Days to be confirmed. So far 2.5 days a week.
- Adri to setup a catchup for the committee on Thursday & look at costs for advertising
Choose Items on Grant application which will be standing agenda items
Update feedback required on research award - Wynand
- Team has not reviewed this document yet, except Rossouw. Wynand to resubmit and remind on WhatsApp group :) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1154AVsphVKXkq_6sx-KB-mqWZfNT_nxu/view?usp=sharing
- Please everyone do this.
Decolonize the Internet competition. (Goethe)
- A competition has been organised.
- 3 x workshops have been run along with the Goethe Institute.
- Next step: 3 x Winners to be select.
- The due date has been extended. Bobby needs to run an advertisement on social media.
- Rossouw has written two articles as part of the competition but has not seen any adverts around this. A communication strategy
Communication Strategy? We should have one ;) Part of the new assistant's job would be to advertise all activities and put a strategy in place to increase our membership, e.g. "Like our page" ads
From 11 August to 25 August:
- Twitter: 1604 followers -> 1609
- Facebook (English): 983 follows (895 likes) -> 984 (896)
- Facebook (Afrikaans): 664 members -> 663
- Mailing list (Afrikaans): 315 members. Suspect most are fake, aol addresses, little valid activity for years -> 316
- Mailing list (English): 257 members -> 258
- Instagram 179 Followers -> 180
- Meetup: 130 members -> 130
- YouTube: 52 subscribers -> 52
- Zulip: 30 users -> 34
- Liasa Wikipedia Community of Practice (CoP) -> 38 members (this is a closed entity)
Next online meetup: Sat 26 September (Dumi has been invited and has accepted)