WMZA Board meeting
4 December 2018 | 19h00 - 21h00
- Rossouw (Text chat only)
Advocacy update - Copyright Bill goes to Parliament
- Bill going to parliament tomorrow
- Copyright alliance trying to sink bill, petition running with famous authors
- Douglas, Ian and Coenraad & Adri vote to allow Douglas to write up an opinion piece on misunderstandings and benefits of Fair Use
- Dispel myths (robs authors of their rights), arguments for (why we care).
Wiki Loves Africa
- Requires panel of judges
- Securing the funding (have miscellaneous war chest) ~R500k
- Publicity. Connecting to other groups.
- Liaise with Wiki Africa
- Perhaps run edit-a-thon
- Adri agrees to co-ordinate WMZA involvement
- Questions about funding Wiki Africa are receiving. Bobby to investigate further.
- Some discussion about events in 2013, history with Wiki Africa
Design outreach update
- Meeting with Design Indaba (Adri, Rueben, Douglas)
- Letter was sent out to their contacts
- Followup 11 December about possible mini-workshop
Grant update - bad news
- Postponed to 2019 annual grant cycle pending a report about jhbpedia ~end of feb
- Turned down by WMF due to not meeting the deadline for closure of Joburgpedia
- Can approach WMF early next year again
- Joburgpedia issue is about confusion over funds relating to closing the Jobergpedia Digitisation Report.
- Need to submit proof to WMF that everyone was paid, and proof we returned the money.
- Gil was reimbursed, issue was funds from Chapter vs Foundation. Chapter has paid, WMF needs to be shown proof of this
- Douglas nominated as president by Coenraad, seconded by Adri
- Only nomination, Douglas re-elected president
- Coenraad nominated as Treasurer by Douglas, seconded by Adri
- Only nomination, Coenraad elected
- Ian nominates Bobby for vice-president, Coenraad seconds
- Only nomination, Bobby elected
- 58 members signed up in the last 3 months
- 6 payments received
- BQuest contracted to follow admin checklist - send welcome emails, generate payment links, reconcile payments, send reminder emails, followup emails etc.
- 1-Grid debited us for the next year need to make changes before next year's debit
- Still receiving very poor service about queries, and billing, but unfortunately, we have paid for the year, so not a priority to change right now
- Who are we sending. Need to decide in next few days
- Rossouw has volunteered
- Last year was Coenraad and Michael (Douglas also attended as Wikimania organiser)
- Coenraad interested in strategy stream
- Bobby interested in going, last went in 2013
- To discuss on Zulip
Next board meeting
- 8th January 2019 - 19:00 to 20:00 (?)