24 August 2021
Previous minutes: http://wikimedia.org.za/wiki/Board_Meeting_10_August_2021
- Bobby Shababngu
- Douglas Ian Scott
- Shupai Mchuchu
- Wynand Van Der Walt
- Michael Graaf
- Deon Steyn
- Rossouw van Rooyen (resigned from the board)
- Delight Chipunza
- Nobantu Modise
- Coenrad Loubser
Environmental Sustainability Support
- please see the request at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Affiliates_Environmental_Sustainability_Covenant
Douglas has been in talks with Wikimedia Deutschland about the environmental sustainability commitment to commit to a principle to reduce carbon emissions. Wikimedia Affiliates Environmental Sustainability Covenant would like to know if the WikimediaZA chapter can support the initiative on reducing carbon intake. It was said anything regarding the environment the board is happy to support. A motion was passed by board members to support the initiative.
Zoom upgrade and Chapters Domains
Can we delete the following domains:
- keep wikilovesmonuments.co.za - R100/year 1-grid - 18/05/2021 to 17/05/2022
- delete wikiindaba.net - R? WWW.ENOM.COM - 2018-07-23 to 2024-07-27
- Ask Bobby: joburgpedia.co.za - R? - 1-grid - 2021-05-13 to 2022-07-17
- Wikilovesmomuments not to be deleted
- Joburgpedia has expired
- We can keep the zoom account and can be upgraded on the invoicing, a motion was supported.
One of our board members is struggling to join board meetings due to a lack of data. It was mentioned that the foundation can provide data, it is encouraged to do so by the foundation to provide data when it comes to community work. This goes for volunteers and members when they want to partake in events such as meet-ups etc.
- DataFree reverse billing option for us to consider when reverse billing for people to join our events/meetings: https://datafr.ee/products/reach/
Reverse billing was supported by board members in order for WikimediaZA to use so they can share data for those who do not have it, The chapter can provide data to students who want to be part of edit workshops, this can be used as an attraction vehicle for projects. A plan to be actioned on reverse billing after some investigation, a resolution was passed in principle. It was suggested that we use Jitsi as some members are struggling with zoom, Jitsi does not record, but it was suggested that we record the meeting via fraps which is $37
Discission around what the WMZA stands for
- Copyright amendment bill and the WMZA's stance on this issue: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_South_Africa/Copyright_Amendment_Bill
There is a lot of documentation that follows a process of how the chapter should consume copyright amendment bill
- Purpose of the chapter as reported to SARS in our PBO application: http://wikimedia.org.za/wiki/Reason_for_being_a_public_benefit_organisation
- Agreement to publically state that an important focus of WMZA is to support the growth of African language Wikipedias and to explicitly list what we consider to be an African language. Using the South African constitution as the guide for what is an African language (ie. explicitly includes Afrikaans in addition to other official languages).
- Wynand suggests that we sit down and explicitly write out what it is that WMZA stands for. (ie. Free Knowledge, Sum of human knowledge freely accessible for all).
- The chapter exists to further free knowledge giving access to free knowledge.
- We need to delve deeper on what freedom to education entails.
- Need to look into organizations or institutions which the chapter can partner with who advocate for free education and who are like-minded an institute such as Equal Education, who can be partnered with and have a long-term project with. as part of the chapter's advocacy.
- A google doc to be created with the WMZA principals and to be shared with all by Douglas
- Douglas is the face of the copyright amendment bill and the environmental sustainability covenant
- Free access to small language Wikipedias the chapter needs to affiliate or form a coalition with some organizations, this needs a volunteer to steer the project.
- For things to move along volunteers are needed for projects to be run.
- A project such as zero-rating needs to be steered which is a good alignment to the copyright amendment bill.
- It was suggested that Douglas would be the best to steer the project as he is in Cape Town.
- It was said that there should show equal support for indigenous languages and Afrikaansnshould is regarded as an indigenous language as well it was passed as an official resolution.
- This makes it easier for people to know what the chapter stands for and what are the principles of the chapter.
- A way to be inclusive we need to name all languages which we want them to be regarded as indigenous languages, the document needs to state that the chapter supports the growth of African languages and this included Afrikaans
- Our mission should be explicitly explained. Link shared for board members to add their thoughts to the mission and principles of the chapter.
A brief update on what our board members volunteers are working https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sdgtf0yEHvSC__SIJ1hHuoycna_JSfGPtAHAgvTpfdg/edit A metrics
- Progress to be monitored
Digify Wikimedia ZA Competition Time: Aug 7, 2021, 10:00 AM Johannesburg, prizes
How much is left in each budget? Review of trial balance?
Bots on Afrikaans Wikimedia
Do we need to call in help? Are any needed? Who can set it up?