Wikimedia South Africa/Board Meeting 2 May 2023

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki

WMZA Bord Meeting 2 May 2023

Previous minutes:


  • Bobby Shabangu
  • Douglas Scott
  • Ingrid Thomson
  • Michel Graaf
  • Khethiwe Marais
  • Coenraad Loubser
  • Deon Steyn


  • Nobantu Modise
  • Veer Gosai



General Updates[edit]

Chapter credit card, response from bank Still working with Standard back, to rectify paper work The chapter needs a credit card to make payments under the chapters name especially for online subscriptions The card to be managed by the bookkeepers, Bobby and Douglas will receive payment notifications, this to be signed with the new payment system It was approved that the credit card will be kept by the bookkeepers and it was approved by board members Credit card will be beneficial as the chapter will be a fiscal sponsor. Chapter website and workshop ( It was suggested to have a regular website meeting. This will help to have a clean website. Most pages are on meta. The current website is looking good just needs to be finished People who are interested to partner with Douglas and Coenraad to assist on the website may partake in the website meetings and workshops Shupai to create a doodle poll and suggest dates to the board on a website date meeting Website budget is R10 000 and R4 000 has been spent

Amendments AA Rate[edit]

AA rate to be increased from 5rands It was proposed to increase the AA rate from R5 using the AA rate and this can be increased to R10 It was said if the rate was increased, it will affect the budget which will need to be amended. It was suggested to have people to drive together depending on the trip Vote to increase the AA rate was unanimously agreed on from R5 per km to R10 per km. New AA reimbursement rate is now R10 per km.

Wikimedia ZA COC[edit]

Code of conduct of the Chapter needs to be updated, needs to be updated to align was shared for board members to go through and if there are any qualms, they can be tabled next board meeting It was suggested to hold a special board meting to go through code of conduct The chapter might need to get a lawyer on retainer who will help the chapter with local laws

Nominate another person to the board=[edit]

Nomination of LeftCentreRight (Jan du Toit) to join the WMZA board by Douglas. LCR member who has been dominating Wikipedia and has been attending WMZA events actively. He has shown an interest to be part of the WMZA board. Douglas is nominating him to join the chapters board A correct figure of board member number limitation needs to be updated, how many members there should be. Articles of assembly checked <>, section 8 states that the board only has a minimum number of directors (3) but no maximum number of directors. It was mentioned to be deliberate on who is voted for to the board, but they need to contribute and participate Ingrid, Coenraad, Khethiwe, Michael and Bobby are in support of LCR to join the board. The vote was approved with no objection and motion passed. Douglas nominated Jan Du Toit: to the board of the chapter - Khethiwe, Michael, Coenraad, Bobby vote in support, no objections: motion passes. Jan Du Toit is elected as an additional member of the board.

===Nominate two more people to the finance committee Coenraad, Douglas, Bobby, are currently sitting on the finance committee There is a need of 2 more members who can volunteer to be part of the committee, thus will always ensure that there is always more than 1 or 2 members in the meeting Douglas nominates Deon to join the Finance committee, he accepts the nomination, Deon accepts, no objections.

Open software for local government initiative[edit]

Chapter Facebook (social media)[edit]

It was suggested that the chapter will create a new Facebook account Rules should be in place on how to be run