WMZA Operational Meeting 23 August 2022
- Douglas Scott
- Nobantu Modise
- Bobby Shabangu
- Hlezi Motha
- Deon Steyn
- Shupai Mchuchu
- Tshepiso Ngaleka
- MaQueen Lawrence
- Micheal Graaf
- Deon Steyn
- Nazeem Hardy
- Khetiwe Marais
- Recreate request: Recreate South Africa has requested support with running its social media presence. I suggested to them that Wikimedia South Africa allow the interns to assist ReCreate with running their social media presence.
Douglas explains to Nobantu how ReCreate relates to WikimediaZA.
- Douglas proposes that some of the intern's time (no more than 20%) be used to help ReCreate manage its social media presence.
- Bobby supports the proposal, Nobantu supports, and Deon supports. Proposal passes.
Deon gives a report on the following:
- Reports on the success of his Radio interview
- Afrikaans Academy MOU competed and signed
- SADILAR outreach to Deon for Afrikaans support, Douglas mentions that WMZA is already in talks with SADILAR about Wikipedia outreach and invites Deon to the next meeting with them on 24 August 2022.
- Deon has made contact with the Instute for Vervoodbook Taal for facility support in Stellenbosch to do future Wikipedia editathons and training workshops (on 18 & 19 Oct 2022).
- Deon requests funding to travel to Stellenbosch to conduct training & editathon, and partnership building with academics for Afrikaans Wikipedia. No opposition, passes by default.
- Deon is working on a sign for the Afrikaans Wikipedia at the Afrikaans Academy
- Deon requests to buy a book for editing Wikipedia, Douglas suggests that Deon apply for the Wikipedia Book Shelf.
Wikimedia Foundation Board Trustees
Douglas mentions that the WMF board of trustees voting process has now started. Suggests that WMZA has a special meeting to discuss the vote. Voting closes on 6 September 2022.
Wikimedia South Africa AGM 1 October 2022
Douglas reminds everyone that the AGM will be happening on 1 October 2022 this year. The chapter needs to start preparing for the AGM. Will need to notify all chapter members at least one month before the AGM that it is happening.
Restarting facetoface meetings
Can we get a social media update at the next board meeting? eg. no posts, followers, etc. Maybe share logins on the Board section at https://wikimediaza.zulipchat.com so anyone can help compile it How about creating a google sheet where the numbers are logged every month? Can create a recurring task on asana.com/
Newsletter / mailing list post
A lot of the things shared on whatsapp and social media can go on the mailing list. eg. http://www.greenman.co.za/blog/?p=2872 - everyone subscribed there I'm sure will be interested