Wikimedia South Africa/Operational Meeting 18 October 2022

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki

WMZA Operational Meeting 18 October 2022 Previous minutes:


  • Ingrid Thomson
  • Reda Benkhadra
  • Shupai Mchuchu
  • Douglas Ian Scott
  • Bobby Shabangu


  • Deon Steyn
  • Coeraad Loubser
  • Veer Gosai


  • Michael Graaf
  • Nobantu Modise
  • Khethiwe Marais


General Updates[edit]

  • Douglas attended Cape Flat book festival and gave a presentation on Wikipedia.
  • Edit your pride took place on the 15th and was aimed at encouraging members of LGBTQ to edit about their community. There was a good outcome and a great interest in Wikimedia ZA and Wikipedia.
  • Douglas managed to sign them up for the mailing list.
  • Ingrid was sent a form to sign, so money can be sent to Ingris, she will sign as a witness on behalf of Douglas and Douglas.
  • Deon gave a workshop in stellenbosch and the outcome was great. Deon is to be reimbursed for his flight and 1-night stay.

Wiki Indaba[edit]

  • Monies still need to be paid for Wiki Indaba in Rwanda, this can be paid in 2 installments. Bobby will reach out to the Rwandans to get invoices for the hotels in which people will be staying. More hotel rooms are needed as a lot of people coming, there are more than 50 people attending.
  • Douglas wants to set up a workshop to teach how to set up affiliates.

Climate Change Project by Reda Benkhadra[edit]

  • Adress the lack of progress in climate change, this is in Senegal, Nigeria, and South Africa. Reda will be leading the project in South Africa. This can work if they collaborate with the South Africa Chapter. The objective is to increase content and sustain volunteers for the project.
  • Ingrid stated that there might be some librarians who might be interested in this project.
  • Reda was advised to reach out to the South African community.
  • The project is ongoing and looked to run till 2023 mid-April.
  • There is a climate language group to which he can reach out. He will need veteran editors.
  • He has reached out to some partner organisations he has reached out to who work with climate change and he is waiting on their responses.
  • A meeting needs to be set up with South South North and be in discussion on the project. Douglas will provide some other contacts to Reda.
  • Code for Africa wants to improve the content and organise an event that can take place online or physically, and this can be local. The budget still needs to be discussed.
  • If the Chapter and Code of Africa partner up, the Chapter can help with connecting with organizations that work with climate change.
  • Douglas to reach out to Alex Stinson to get veteran Wikipedia editors to assist with the project.

Wiki Vibrance: Africa Day: Douglas Ian Scott[edit]

  • To be discussed next meeting