Wikimedia South Africa/Operational Meeting 1 November 2022
WMZA Operational Meeting 1 November 2022 Previous minutes:http://wikimedia.org.za/wiki/Operational_Meeting_18_October_2022
- Veer Gosai
- Ingrid Thomson
- Douglas Scott
- Deon Steyn
- Shupai Mchuchu
- Coenraad Loubser
- Bobby Shabangu
- Khethiwe Marais
- Michael Graaf
- Nobantu Modise
- National Library of South Africa meeting (Ingrid)
- WikiIndaba (Douglas)
- Arikaans Wikipedia
- Africa Day
- 10 year birthday
- APC (Archive Public & Culture) event: event to be hosted in January 2022, this group includes Bodi at UCT (History dept). - Douglas
- Copyright mini-conference in January: Douglas helping with the organisaiton of a mini-Conference to be hosted in late January in
WikiIndaba is happening this weekend. Bobby is trying to ensure they get their funding, but Reserve Bank and Standard Bank are dragging their heels.
Afrikaans Wikipedia will be having its 11th birthday this month (November). Celebrating 105 000 articles. Hosting a birthday party at the Afrikaans Academy in Pretoria. Deon requests that Bobby and Douglas please attend. The event to be hosted on the 16 November. The president would appreciate being there, but he is running the organization of WikiIndaba
Annual language festival in Holland. There is a drive to get Afrikaans Wikipedia involved in the festival Deon is working on this. WMNH is involved in this event.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Africa_Knowledge_Initiative The Chapter has signed up for the event, and as the chapter needs to come up with an idea, partner, or topic. Ingrid points out that the week of 25 May is African Libraries Week (Aflia = part of the 1lib1ref campaign 15 May to 5 June) so we will already have a bit of library focus.
- Africa Youth Day – Nov 1, 2022
- Environment/Wangari Maathai Day – Mar 3, 2023
- African Day – May 25, 2023
- Deon proposes that the WMZA fun Douglas's travel and accommodation, Ingrid seconds. Motion unopposed, and so passes.
Wikimedia ZA 10-year Birthday Celebration
- We are officially 10 years old as the Chapter, May the Chapter, celebrate, opinions and ideas open. we need to think of our demographics. Taptic, suggested a hybrid event, to accommodate everyone. with our monthly. meeting we can accommodate our face to face meetings which can be hybrid aswell lest look at the 10th of December . We can invite the CEO of WMF. Have an event in Cape Town, and one in Johannesburg as well as on Discord all on the same day and time, end it off with a map-a-thon event. Saturday the 10 December 2022 decided for the day.
Ingrid met with the National Library of South Africa with a view to doing future events with them such as a train the trainer event. Focus on 1Lib1Ref. Nat Library wants to identify champions for Wiki projects. They also want to work on indigenous languages (including Afrikaans). The National Library of South Africa will also be talking to the Swedish National Library about their involvement with Wikipedia. Next steps: an introduction with them and Bobby and Douglas.