Wikimedia South Africa/State of the Chapter 2011
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Three minute presentation for the Wikimedia Chapters Conference.
- Had many failed attempts to establish chapter.
- Managed to get new interest in May 2010.
- Got a lot of help from Achal Prabhala, Bence Damokos and Delphine Ménard.
- Held a workshop during August 2010 at the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Approximately 30 people attended the workshop.
- Resulting in the initial timeline, and much of the draft vision, purpose and possible initiatives.
- See the Wikimedia South Africa page for details.
- Mailing-list has 70 subscribers.
- Approximately 20 people interested.
- Core team consists of only 6 people.
- Huge problem with getting people interested to volunteer.
- The chapter have not done any activities so far.
- Mainly due to the fact that it was still in the formation phase.
- Difficulties to get people interested.
- Possible activities include:
- Contribution to African language wikis.
- Academic integration.
- Documentation of non-written information.