Wikimedia User Group Nigeria/Wikimedia Fan Club, Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
The Wikimedia Fan Club Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, is a hub for undergraduate, postgraduate students and staff of Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta with the purpose of contributing to Wikimedia and her related projects. This club is based in the campus and run by the students with coordination from Wikimedia Nigeria. The club promotes Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia, Yoruba Wikipedia, Wikidata, Wikisource and Commons) among the students through the execution of projects, meet-ups, and regular edit-a-thons as a way of exposing the students to the movement.
The club will be hosting regular edit-a-thons, weekly workshops, photography events, and more that cater to and attract students, librarians, staff and other people on campus. The club will also organize events such as: edit-a-thons, GLAMs, Wikipedia Education programs and related projects, which aim to promote Wikimedia projects in the institution while planning Wikimedian Ambassador program that rotates among the student on yearly basis. We aim to reach and generate interest in members of the university who may not utilize and contribute to Wikimedia resources and to as well as create a community to support those who currently are involved with Wikipedia.
The success of this club will primarily be to raise young Wikimedians across the diversity of disciplines and culture in the University community. It will help students know and contribute more to other Wikimedia projects asides from Wikipedia. We aim to achieve this by hosting several projects and
The club currently boast of three (3) staff advisors of the institution, which are:
- Dr. Mrs Fehintola Nike Onifade; Chief librarian of the institution. Patron
- Professor Helen Bodunde; Professor of English and Senior lecturer of the institution
- Dr. Owolabi; Librarian and senior lecturer of the institution.
- To promote the use of and contributions to Wikimedia projects by among the students of the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta.
- To encourage campus/undergraduate and postgraduate photographers to contribute to Commons
- Providing a space for undergraduates who are/will engage(d) in Wikimedia to collaborate on projects, discuss strategies, and socialize with each other.
- To create, organize, develop, and engage in activities that promote free, responsible open-content resources and reference materials in English and Yoruba languages where there are existing communities
- To facilitate programs that will achieve these.
- Organizing Edit-a-thons for Wikipedia, Wikisource, and Wikidata in Nigeria
- Promote editing of Nigeria-related content on Wikimedia projects
- Wikipedia Campus Ambassadors
- Open Street Maps Editing
- Wikimedia In Residence (WIR)
Special pages for the aforementioned programs will be created soon.
- Wiki needs us. Here are links to places we believe there will always be a space to improve. As long as they exist, we are never relented in creating a world where everyone can contribute to and share in every sum of knowledge.
- olaniyanshola15 at gmail dot com
- ayokanmioyeyemi at gmail dot com
- ademabayojeoludamilola at yahoo dot com
Events & Activities
Black history month
As a build up to the establishment of the club, we had an edit-a-thon session in partnership with the school on the 8th of February to celebrate the black history month and also a way of cementing our relationship with the school.