Wikimedia User Group Nigeria
The Wikimedia User Group Nigeria is a Wikimedia user group for the Federal Republic of Nigeria. It was formed in September 2015, and it serves the Wikimedians in Nigeria. This user group seeks to promote the use of Wikimedia projects by residents of Nigeria, and to also help in creating awareness on how the everyday Nigerian can contribute to the pool of Knowledge, which is Wikimedia; most especially in the translation efforts into the major local languages.
We aim to achieve this by hosting several projects and events such as: edit-a-thons, GLAMs, Wikipedia Education programs and other projects, which aim to promote Wikimedia projects in Nigeria.
- To promote the use of Wikimedia projects by people in Nigeria
- To help people in Nigeria learn how to contribute to Wikimedia projects
- To organize in-person gatherings of Wikimedians in Nigeria
- Organizing Edit-a-thons for Wikipedia, Wikisource, and Wikidata in Nigeria
- Promote editing of Nigeria-related content on Wikimedia projects
- Training around Nigeria on how to edit Wikimedia projects
- Wiki Loves Africa
- Wikipedia Education Program
- Wikipedia Zero
- Wikipedia Campus Ambassadors
- Open Street Maps Editing
- Wikipedia Offline (Kiwix)
- Wikimedia In Residence (WIR)
The User group was conceptualized in 2014 by Olaniyan Olushola and Kayode Yussuf through Wikimedia Usergroup Nigeria/Adopt a school series and on June 2015, the idea of establishing a user group with the name "Wikimedia User Group Nigeria" was proposed to the community by Olatunde Isaac and Olaniyan Olusola and Nigerian Wikimedians are enthusiastic about this new idea. On 29th August 2015, the application for this establishment was filled by Wikicology and on 30th August 2015, the leaderships of the group was elected by its member following a community consensus among the members. On 19th September 2015, the Affiliation Committee resolved to grant the recognition as Wikimedia User Group Nigeria.
Please use this wikipage's talk page to contact this group. You can also contact us via our mailing list: email@example.com
- Olaniyan Olushola
- Sam/Jamie Tubers
- User:Olufemi Simeon Adeniyi
- Eyitayo Alimi
- Joseph Nwadukwe
- Blossom Ozurumba
Events and Projects
Wikimedia User Group Nigeria had organized and participated in couples of activities in line with Wikimedia vision and mission. These includes:
- Adopt a school series
- Wiki Loves Africa 2015 in Nigeria tagged Africa's Culture in fashion and Adornment
- Wiki Photo Tours in Nigeria
- Wiki Loves Monument 2016 in Nigeria
- Celebrating Wikipedia15 with Wikipedia Workshop for Students of Fountain University
- Meetup April 2016
- Meetup May 2016
- Wiki Loves Women (Edit-a-Thon) July 2016 tagged: The Girl Child, Women in Politics and Entertainment
- Wiki Loves Women: Edit-a-Thorn with focus on Women in Civic Society and Humanity
- Women Inspired: Health and Community
- Women in Social Services-Promoting SDG in Nigeria
- Women Using ICT for Work-Life Integration in Nigeria
- en:Wikipedia:Wikiproject Wiki Loves Women/Technology:Redefining the identity of the 21st century woman
- Planning Wikimedia Fan Club at Lagos State University (LASU)
- Live Radio Program
- Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ibadan
In the media
- Wikipedia needs more editors from Nigeria — Olatunde Isaac published by Peoplesdaily Newspaper on March 26, 2016.
- Wikipedia partners Nigerian NGOs to promote women published by The Guardian Newspaper on July 23, 2016.
- Wikipedia partners Nigerian NGOs to promote women published by The Nigerian Voice Newspaper on July 23, 2016.
- Wikipedians organise Wiki Loves Women in Nigeria published by News Express Nigeria on July 23 2016
- Wiki Loves women encourages Nigerian women presence on WIkipedia published by punch newspaper on the 14th of October 2016
- Loves Women encourages Nigerian women's presence on Wikipedia published by Daily trust on the 14th of October 2016
- Mental illness: Wikipedia to create awareness in Nigeria publiched on the 23rd of January 2017
- Wikimedia UG Nigeria is in partnership with | Blackface Radio to broadcast Wikimedia related activities on Wednesdays from 6:45pm to 7:45pm.
- You can follow the program here
- We have submitted grant requested for the continuous running of our Wikimedia Radio and TV program see the page here
- Recognition Wikimedia User Group Nigeria - Approved 28 September 2015