Grants:Project/Rapid/Wiki Loves Earth 2018 in Nigeria
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To increase or improve images on Wikimedia Common
- To add freely licensed, and high quality images of Nigeria game reserves, mountains, conservation areas, forest,ponds, lakes, rivers, waterfalls, and caves to Wikimedia Common
- To increase the number of contributors to Wikimedia Common
- To recruit new contributors to Wikimedia Common
- To use the images collected on articles
- Create new articles for images collected
- Create awareness for Wikimedia projects
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will focus on freely licensed and high quality images of Natural sites including, Nigeria game reserves, mountains, conservation areas, forest,ponds, lakes, rivers, waterfalls that will be contributed to Wikimedia Common for free usage.
- Images of Nigeria game reserves, mountains, conservation areas, forest,ponds, lakes, rivers, and waterfalls are lacking on Wikimedia Common. This contest would be a great opportunity to contribute high quality images of these sites to Wikimedia Common.
- It would help increase the awareness of Wikimedia projects
- The workshop under this projects will be an avenue to recruit new community members and the usage of those images on Commons
- It will help to introduce the basis of Wikimedia Common and Wikimedia projects to many newcomers
- It will help to increase the number of Nigeria-related contents on Wikimedia Common
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- I will lunch a social media campaign for the contest and one-on-one campaign. i will use newspapers and blogs to advertise the contest
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- I will set up a panel of jury which will consists of notable photographers, photo-journalists and experienced Wikimedians.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- There would be an edit-at-thon that would focus on using the images on Wikipedia.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more: For photo contests:
- If at least 20 people participates
- If at least 500 images are uploaded to Wikimedia Common
- If two months after the contest, 100 (and 20%) of uploaded images are used on wiki projects
- If at least 20 natural sites are photographed
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Runcie Chidebe: Contest Organizer, will oversee all the activities of the Project
- User:Olaniyan Olushola: Technical Manager,
- User:T Cells: Online Support
- User:Kaizenify, professional photographer and will coordinate the jury process
- User:Jemila abdul
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Sl.No||Item||Quantity||Rate (NGN)||Total (NGN)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|1||1||80000||80000||Local rental and coffee break, Data Modem, Projector,Catering: Tea and biscuits.Generator.|
|2||Photo walks||4||350000||350000||1147.54||Facilitate access to the participants in protected areas ( see breakdown below under Photo walk).|
|3||Awards||3||150000||150000||491.80||1st prize 70000 NGN|
2nd prize 50000 NGN
3rd prize 30000 NGN
(Voucher or gift worth of the mentioned amount will be giving to each winner}
|4||Contingency Cost||30000||98.36 USD|
|Total Grand Total:NGN 611475 (USD 1999.99)|
Budget Breakdown for the workshop
|Breakdown of Editathon Expenses ( Excluding Local Rentals and Coffee above )|
(Sumtotal : USD262.29)
|1||Data for the modem||30.00|
|3||Catering: Tea and biscuits||10.00|
|5||Local rental||162.29||Total: USD 262.29 |
Budget breakdown for photo walk
This is the budget breakdown for the photo walk.:
|Sl.No||Category||Quantity||Rate (NGN)||Total (NGN)||Total (USD)||Remark|
|Cost per photo walk|
(Sumtotal : 350,000 NGN)
|1||Car hiring||1||100000||100000||327.86||This will cover the transport expenses to the venue.|
|2||Accommodation||4||30000||120000||393.44||Shared accommodation for 4 wikimedians @ the rate of 15000NGN per room per night|
|3||Food||4||20000||80000||262.29||meal of 5000NGN per member per day|
|4||Cost of access to protected places||10||5000||50000||163.93||estimated cost of access to protected places for 10 volunteers|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Nigeria participated in Wiki Loves Earth last year and achieved pretty good results. Their efforts in organising photo walks to the areas that lack coverage on Wikimedia Commons are appreciated. Overall this is a good proposal that is worth being funded — NickK (talk) 13:11, 10 May 2018 (UTC)
- I endorse this project.
- Wiki love earth 2017 was a huge success as it recorded high traffic of pictures of various heritage centres. 2018 edition promises to conslidate on the success of the last edition by focusing more on quality of pictures and not necessarily quantity hence I endorsed this project as it will go a long way in ravampaging the quality of images across all heritage centres in Nigeria by collaborating with local photographers. Kaizenify (talk) 01:09, 6 June 2018 (UTC)