User talk:NickK

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Afrikaans | العربية | অসমীয়া | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца) | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form) | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | euskara | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | kar | kurdî | Limburgs | lietuvių | Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | Napulitano | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | português do Brasil | پښتو | Runa Simi | română | русский | संस्कृतम् | sicilianu | سنڌي | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | тоҷикӣ | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | oʻzbekcha/ўзбекча | vèneto | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 粵語 | 中文(简体) | 中文(繁體) | +/-

Welcome to Meta![edit]

Hello NickK, and welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). If you would like, feel free to ask me questions on my talk page. Happy editing! --Abigor talk 09:52, 20 January 2009 (UTC)


i had a comment below your vote.please check it--Mardetanha talk 19:40, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
But the other problems remain — NickK 19:50, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
Can you explain which ? --Mardetanha talk 19:54, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
many doubts about his administrator experience and terrible answers to questions, as stated above — NickK 21:11, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
Question are supposed to be here and i answered them all --Mardetanha talk 21:13, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
Answering the questions you have broken correct order of numbers. Also I see that you can not provide normal link (must be [[Stewards/elections 2009/Questions#Mardetanha|here]] → gives here), so I suppose you may have problems with even basic technical skills — NickK 21:23, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
It is because of university studies i have been awake for more 26 hours.i have more than basic knowledge :D --Mardetanha talk 21:28, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
Well, that's OK, but I still find information about your serious mistakes in fawiki and don't see a reason not to trust them — NickK 21:30, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
I have been fighting a group of vandals in fawiki and due to topology of iranian internet totally we could never have a successful request of CU in meta people use dial up internet connection so they easily change their ip and i am kind of admin who always have take difficult decision of fawiki.believe me fighting with troll specially when they know what to do is very tough very --Mardetanha talk 21:35, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
Yeah, I know that. But we have mananged to stop the page moving-vandal in ukwiki (who also threatened to kill some admins or their families, however he was about 15-year old school student) while this vandal was using mobile Internet (he managed to switch IPs nearly 20-50 times an hour, nearly for every edit) and open proxies. CU request has successfully shown his more than 100 accounts and now he is in a deep block. Impossible is nothing. May be I will look for more information that may change my opinion. Thanks — NickK 21:55, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
Thanks indeed. so you can get what is the meaning of Troll :) --Mardetanha talk 22:13, 1 February 2009 (UTC)

Steward Elections[edit]

Could you please unify your accounts so that you can prove who you are? Thanks, Prodego talk 19:54, 1 February 2009 (UTC)

Alternatively, you could link from your ukwiki userpage to this account. Prodego talk 20:01, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
OK, I'll provide the link (hope Ukrainian is OK, if not - I can make another in English). Unfortunately, I can't merge accounts because I have also many accounts as Nick UA while sometimes NickK is eligible for usurpation, sometimes not (for example, in dewiki >500 edits and active), so it's a very time-consuming job... — NickK 21:20, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
The key thing is to have a link on uk:User:NickK to User:NickK on meta. Prodego talk 22:05, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
DoneNickK 22:14, 1 February 2009 (UTC)

As noted in Stewards/elections 2009/Questions, I was very busy in real life from November 4, 2008 until January 31, 2009, almost exactly the last three months. However, today I am back, well actually as of yesterday, I am back. Apteva 20:39, 1 February 2009 (UTC)

Well, you are lacking experience. 800 edits in 3 month and next 3 monts with less than 50 edits is not a good variant for steward — NickK 21:20, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
I understand. Over 90% of my edits are as an IP user (my goal is 99%). At least the last time I checked. It is hard to verify, actually impossible to verify which are mine, but the last time I checked I thought I could identify roughly 92% as mine. It could be a lot less than 90% now, because 90% would mean that I have over 8,000 edits today. My own estimate is between 5,000 and 10,000. My edits tend to be slow and well thought out, often an hour each. Right now I am researching sleeper accounts, and about to propose that all autoconfirmed accounts created before the edit requirement was added which have no edits be flushed. Apteva 21:50, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
Could you please explain your last statement: do you mean this elections or something in enwiki with edit requirements. Or are you going to cross-wiki flush all accounts without edits, meaning that every new user must make any edit before becoming autoconfirmed? — NickK 22:01, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
I was thinking only of en:wiki accounts. There is an issue of I think the SUL accts were created before the edit requirement, I have to research the dates, and find out which wiki's have edit requirements. On en:wiki there are like 8 million accounts, and I am guessing that 75% were created as sleeper accounts and are now autoconfirmed. I could be way off, that is just a gut guess. There may be a lot that were created just to make one edit and never actually used, and so are not technically sleeper accounts, and may actually be used eventually, but flushing them will not hurt those, just mean they have to recreate them when they are ready to use them. I would certainly propose only flushing SUL accounts that have no edits on any wiki. On en:wiki all accounts used to be autoconfirmed after 4 days, then the requirement was changed to 4 days and 10 edits, and you can bet there was a flurry of sleeper accounts created just before the change was implemented. Like 4 days before! The proposal has been proposed before, while the change was being implemented, but it was not practical so soon after the change was made, but now it would be like a giant mop sweep, and likely to be very useful. At least that is what I am thinking. I hope this also helps you to understand a little bit more about who I am and what I am doing. But please do not change your vote because of that. I can always run again next year. Apteva 22:50, 1 February 2009 (UTC)
I just checked the dates. SUL accts were released to all users 4 days after the en:wiki 10 edit change was implemented, so no SUL accounts are likely to be affected. Apteva 23:02, 1 February 2009 (UTC)

Well, I am not going to change my mind, as I don't think that flushing accounts is a) technically possible; b) useful in any way; c) will not cause a mess. Personally I had problems when there was a need to rename a page at a small project (ukwikisource, if I am right) with no active users. I had to wait 4 days (we do not have 10 edits requirement, and I have no idea how to make them in such a small project). If my account was flushed, I would register again and wait next 4 days? No, thanks. Some sleeper accounts become active, some very active. For example, I have made my first edit only 20 days after registration because I was busy in real life and I decided to read the guidelines first. If my account was flushed, I would not know what to do. Also I can give some examples where user's first edit was a useful page move or image upload — NickK 23:30, 1 February 2009 (UTC)

I am not asking you to change your mind. I would prefer you did not. Since your wiki has no edit requirement, no account on it would be flushed. It may not be technically possible, and may not even be useful. That is the point of making a proposal - to discuss the possibility. I do not consider your account a sleeper account, though I do have to say I am impressed with your diligence in reading the guidelines, and hopefully there are many who do just that. I personally prefer the fr intro over the en intro. I define sleeper account only as a vandalism only account created solely for the purpose of vandalism, and not used until much later. If en:wiki is the only one that requires edits to get autoconfirmed, it is the only one affected. All the proposal amounts to is, wait nine months after the change and delete all autoconfirmed accounts that have no edits, and were created over nine months ago. If you are saying this would affect legitimate accounts that were created nine months ago on the most edited wiki there is yet have made not even one edit, I am saying why were they not converted to SUL, or at least have done one edit? As I said when I began, I am researching the issue. The admins on en are very good at spotting vandals who use sleeper accounts. Just recently I saw them block one in 3 seconds flat. I am just thinking of a way to reduce their work load. Even 3 seconds meant 6 edits had to be repaired. Apteva 00:33, 2 February 2009 (UTC)
Well, I have read your explanation and I have found that this problem is much deeper. Maybe the issue is that you are mostly anonymous (which is terrible for steward) user of the most edited wiki, and I am talking from the position of sysop of quite local Wikipedia (if it's possible to say so), where most of the editors either are native speakers or introduce interwikis. Personally I prefer to assume good faith, and in our project we are still not lazy to send manually welcomes to all new users. Vandalism? Yes, it's also a problem, we had one extremely harmful page-mover-vandal, but IP range block and CU request helped to stop him after his last (hopefully) account's edits were reverted by stewards because we had no sysops online then. However, I do not agree that every sleeper account is a vandal. For example, once in our wiki a user with no edits in nearly a year has participated in a voting to support his friend. It was his 2nd edit or something like that, but he replied, that he had registered more than one year ago just to upload his self-made map of the UNESCO monument in Kyiv. That's just my point of view, maybe the point of view of enwiki users with hundreds of million of users may be different. But I still assume good faith. Thanks for your proposition and good luck in your further work in the project(s) — NickK 20:54, 2 February 2009 (UTC)

Questions answered[edit]

Hello, NickK. I apologize for the delay, but I've answered the questions posed to all steward candidates. Thank you for your comments! - jredmond 04:29, 3 February 2009 (UTC)

Thanks, but I still am not sure enough to support your nomination. Answers are quite good, but your activity is rather low - maybe it's because of OTRS. Thanks — NickK 21:50, 3 February 2009 (UTC)

Don't be a dick in uk.wikipedia[edit]

Don't be a dick.--Prima klasy4na 00:24, 24 October 2009 (UTC)

I would recommend you it as well, and also consider reading the essay you were trying to correct a few days ago. Don't you think that if many Ukrainian, Russian wikipedians and stewards think of your behaviour as annoying, changing it will contribute to more effective solution of our problems? — NickK 16:30, 25 October 2009 (UTC)


Здравствуйте! Раз вы говорите, что редиректы были нужны в украинском Викиучебнике, то почему вы не обратили моё внимание на это, когда я выносила их там к удалению? С уважением, – Innv | d | s: 00:42, 22 January 2010 (UTC)

Ну я думал, что продолжения не последует :), так как на самом деле автор при написании учебника долго (раз пять) менял его название, и на каком-то этапе редирект потерялся, и редиректы было бы неплохо сохранить — NickK 20:04, 22 January 2010 (UTC)
Их вообще надо поудалять вместе со статьями, так как они неукраиноязычные :)--Ahonc 23:36, 22 January 2010 (UTC)

You will probably be interested in...[edit]

This. Tiptoety talk 03:44, 13 July 2010 (UTC)

I'm interested in other points of view, if there are any. It's an old story, it has been discussed a few times both on Ukrainian Wikipedia and here on Meta, now the user just moved it to the new venue. In fact it's his third RFC here on the same topic: he has already created Requests for comment/Threaten by sysop on Ukrainian Wikipedia with blocking (the end of this RFC in fact is the main idea of the current RFC) and Requests for comment/uk:Special:AbuseFilter/12 (where he asked to comment on the AbuseFilter, which technically implemented the ArbCom desicion). Nothing has changed for better since that RFCs, except for a few dozens of new socks of Prima klasy4na, so I don't see what new points I can add. User was banned from editing these namespaces because of excessive flood in Wikipedia namespace (for example, a number of requests to block sysops like today, weird proposals of new rules, e.g. a proposal to ban users with less than 50% article edits from discussing deletion requests) and damaging many important templates (usually by making them behave unpredictably or by creating copies of templates with very minor changes), and was indefinitely blocked for creation of more than a hundred of socks in half a year, some of these socks were vandalism-only accounts. The only change I observe is a spreading of activity to Russian Wikipedia (where he also created socks and was blocked as well) and now to English Wikipedia (where he is creating copies of existing templates under the name Амба). Thus, I can't add any new information except for the one I mentioned above. Hope this helps to clarify the situation — NickK 18:00, 16 July 2010 (UTC)


Hi. Is there a local page in ukwiki where to request CheckUser information? I would like to add it to the index of request pages but I couldn't find it. Thank you, --dferg ☎ talk 15:32, 8 September 2010 (UTC)

It was created just a few days ago, it is uk:Вікіпедія:Запити на перевірку користувачів. I've added it to the list on SRCU, if there is some other list, please add it there. Thanks and sorry for the delay — NickK 09:52, 20 September 2010 (UTC)

Thank You[edit]

I wanted to personally thank you for your help with Ukrainian translations during the fundraiser. I appreciate the work you put in, and we couldn't have done it without you. Thanks again - Deniz (WMF) 22:10, 26 January 2011 (UTC)

You are welcome, I think it was not me who made the most efforts to translate into Ukrainian — NickK 14:31, 30 January 2011 (UTC)

Translator, We need you![edit]

Dear NickK,

You have helped us in previous years with translations and for that we are most grateful. Now we turn towards the 2011/12 fundraiser. It may seem forever away, but work has already begun getting everything ready to go. This year we want to have landing pages covering as many countries in as many languages as possible.

Right now, we want to figure out who is interested in translating for the fundraiser. This year we're hoping to have more of a solidified "core" group of translators that we can count on to have work done by a few key dates, but we'd also welcome help from people who are willing to just help out when they can.

If you would be interested please take a look at this little sign-up survey and fill it out With that we can start building a list of people and filling any gaps in the languages we serve.

Many Thanks

Joseph Seddon (User:Jseddon (WMF))

Production Coordinator
Wikimedia Foundation
Jseddon (WMF) 00:44, 9 July 2011 (UTC)


I leave note on the talk page Siska.Doviana 04:31, 11 February 2012 (UTC)


On which basis can you say a /22 or a /22 would had been enough? --Vituzzu (talk) 19:02, 12 September 2012 (UTC)

I choose such I wide block (which I can perfectly understand) running checkusers on dozen of small wikis. I think I've been as much responsive as possible but still I'm getting allegation to "discriminate" or to make rangeblock I cannot understand properly. Anyway I've been proposing solutions for about an half day, the block is "anon-only" and it's supposed (unless there's a new bug) to let people create accounts, I've also remove it for about three hours in order to let people register, then I'm suggesting some local whitelisting or account creation, I can even create account, I just need to have a list of usernames with their respective email address. --Vituzzu (talk) 19:12, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
I made a conclusion based on my own observations: AFAIK, Kyivstar assignes IPs on a dynamic but more or less geographically restricted basis. I faced a vandal in ukwiki who was using this provider (this was before this global block), who could get a new IP in a minute after the block of the previous one but /22 range was enough to stop him completely, and I have never seen any similar edits outside the abovementioned range. I do not have any technical details of IP distribution by Kyivstar, so it's just my own observation
Concerning the results, are you really sure that it's one single person that is using the whole range? The adresses of this range can be used by several millions of people all over the country, so it's quite possible there were several people with separate spam activities. Or could you give some examples of the edits, just to see the scale of the problem.
In fact, the problem is not in single account creation. The problem is that WLM attracts newbies who have no previous experience and who may not even know whom to ask. Many new users will not be able to solve this problem if they are required to create an account but finally received some error message — they will most likely end up not contributing — NickK (talk) 23:54, 12 September 2012 (UTC)
That's why I switched it to anon-only (which was supposed to allow account creation), I've asked several times help in making some test to mitigate side-effects but I had almost no replies, I also asked several times for local whitelisting having no results too. Anyway I've just remove the block, but, considering the past events it's very likely I'll have to face a spam attack again. Sorry if I was a bit harsh but I cannot stand allegations of "discrimination". --Vituzzu (talk) 11:12, 13 September 2012 (UTC)
Thank you for removing the block. I did not state it is a discrimination, I just stated that this block is too strict and affect too many users who are not spammers. Of course you may face some spam activities from this range, but as this range is potentially used by millions of Ukrainians, it is not strange that there are some spammers as well who will be using it — NickK (talk) 16:03, 14 September 2012 (UTC)

Superprotect letter update[edit]

Hi NickK,

Along with more hundreds of others, you recently signed Letter to Wikimedia Foundation: Superprotect and Media Viewer, which I wrote.

Today, we have 562 signatures here on Meta, and another 61 on, for a total of 623 signatures. Volunteers have fully translated it into 16 languages, and begun other translations. This far exceeds my most optimistic hopes about how many might sign the letter -- I would have been pleased to gain 200 siguatures -- but new signatures continue to come.

I believe this is a significant moment for Wikimedia and Wikipedia. Very rarely have I seen large numbers of people from multiple language and project communities speak with a unified voice. As I understand it, we are unified in a desire for the Wikimedia Foundation to respect -- in actions, in addition to words -- the will of the community who has built the Wikimedia projects for the benefit of all humanity. I strongly believe it is possible to innovate and improve our software tools, together with the Wikimedia Foundation. But substantial changes are necessary in order for us to work together smoothly and productively. I believe this letter identifies important actions that will strongly support those changes.

Have you been discussing these issues in your local community? If so, I think we would all appreciate an update (on the letter's talk page) about how those discussions have gone, and what people are saying. If not, please be bold and start a discussoin on your Village Pump, or in any other venue your project uses -- and then leave a summary of what kind of response you get on the letter's talk page.

Finally, what do you think is the right time, and the right way, to deliver this letter? We could set a date, or establish a threshold of signatures. I have some ideas, but am open to suggestions.

Thank you for your engagement on this issue, and please stay in touch. -Pete F (talk) 18:22, 26 August 2014 (UTC)

I can speak of ukwiki community, we had a link posted to the village pump with translation, but there was no real discussion on this issue — NickK (talk) 13:31, 29 August 2014 (UTC)

Please fill out our Inspire campaign survey[edit]

Inspire astrocat aqua.png

Thank you for participating in the Wikimedia Inspire campaign during March 2015!

Please take our short survey and share your experience during the campaign.

Many thanks,

Jmorgan (WMF) (talk), on behalf of the IdeaLab team.

23:34, 13 April 2015 (UTC)

This message was delivered automatically to Inspire campaign participants. To unsubscribe from any future IdeaLab reminders, remove your name from this list

About question[edit]

Hi NickK,

I want to be clear about the question that you've put for the FDC candidates. Is this the growth rate that Wikimedia affiliates show in their Annual Plan Grant proposals? Tanweer (talk) 08:35, 2 May 2015 (UTC)

Hi Tanweer,
Yes, this is exactly what I was asking about. Regards, — NickK (talk) 13:30, 2 May 2015 (UTC)

Hello Mykola,
I've tried to respond your question as fully yet briefly as I could now. :)

I hope that my pursuit to make it somewhat shorter (suggested number of characters) did not make it even more difficult to understand. If so, I am here to explain. :)

aegis maelstrom δ 02:10, 3 May 2015 (UTC)

Hi aegis maelstrom,
Good and clear answer (at least for me), particularly the idea that Your programme might be good but you will be asked to tighten your budget if there are more promising ones (there are reasons why I can both agree and disagree with it). Thank you for the time you have taken to answer the question! — NickK (talk) 03:13, 3 May 2015 (UTC)
Hi, I think I know why you both agree and not agree. :) The sad part is, FDC has a very limited delegation. FDC members have been often blamed for some decisions, while they were actually limited with constraints set by WMF. IMHO it has been some elephant in the room, which is rarely clearly mentioned.
As a FDC member I would love to not only evaluate the submissions - but also do something to expand the envelope: communicate with WMF, Board and affiliates, look for synergies like sharing costs among affiliates, improve reporting. Certainly, you can do a lot with not being in FDC, but that would give some leverage, wouldn't it. :)
Best, aegis maelstrom δ 13:26, 3 May 2015 (UTC)
Hi aegis maelstrom,
You actually got the reasons why I agree but not exactly the reasons why I disagree. The point is that FDC sometimes does not consider whether it is really possible to tighten the budget without cancelling the project in whole. One can rather easily cut 10% off WLM budget (e.g. by buying 10% cheaper prizes or by removing one nomination) or cut 10% off Education Programme (e.g. by stopping partnerships with 10% of institutions) — that's unfortunate but still feasible. However, one cannot cut 10% off software development projects, as 90% completed software still cannot work, or cut 10% off website hosting, as 90% paid web site will not be hosted, or cut 10% off staff budget, as 90% paid staff will not work until full salary according to the contract is paid.
Thus one side of the problem (we might have to tighten the budget even for good projects if there are better ones is good), but there is also the other side: for some projects tightening the budget will mean cancelling the project. A good example is a Kiwix project, which could have been an ambitious project with global impact, but which cannot be completed at the same level with limited funding. And I agree that sharing costs between affiliates might be a good solution to this problem: in the same case of Kiwix the project is clearly benefitial to many communities, and there are many more projects that can be of a certain interest to a number of affiliates (e.g. financial reporting software, GLAM uploaders etc.).
Anyway your answer is clear to me, and thank you for interesting ideas! Good luck for the election! — NickK (talk) 15:16, 3 May 2015 (UTC)
You have new messages
Hello, NickK. You have new messages at Varnent's talk page.
You can remove this notice at any time by removing the {{Talkback}} or {{Tb}} template.

How can we improve Wikimedia grants to support you better?[edit]

Hi! The Wikimedia Foundation would like your input on how we can reimagine Wikimedia Foundation grants to better support people and ideas in your Wikimedia project.

After reading the Reimagining WMF grants idea, we ask you to complete this survey to help us improve the idea and learn more about your experience. When you complete the survey, you can enter to win one of five Wikimedia globe sweatshirts!

In addition to taking the the survey, you are welcome to participate in these ways:

This survey is in English, but feedback on the discussion page is welcome in any language.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 01:24, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Thanks, I left a comment there — NickK (talk) 06:58, 19 August 2015 (UTC)

Last call for WMF grants feedback![edit]

Hi, this is a reminder that the consultation about Reimagining WMF grants is closing on 8 September (0:00 UTC). We encourage you to complete the survey now, if you haven't yet done so, so that we can include your ideas.

With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation.

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery. 19:09, 4 September 2015 (UTC)


Tiles. 4 Bandery Street, Lviv. WLM 2015 in Ukraine

за спільну роботу над Grants:APG/Proposals/2015-2016 round1/Wikimedia Ukraine/Proposal form

у будь-якому разі це було цікаво й весело (особливо останні секунди Face-smile.svg)

з хорошого те, що заявка на 2016 у нас уже є. для інших типів грантів можна буде просто перероблять Face-smile.svg --アンタナナ 02:09, 2 October 2015 (UTC)

п.с. гарного ранку/дня/вечора/ночі

What future IdeaLab campaigns would you like to see?[edit]

IdeaLab logo dark orange.png

Hi there,

I’m Jethro, and I’m seeking your help in deciding topics for new IdeaLab campaigns that could be run starting next year. These campaigns aim to bring in proposals and solutions from communities that address a need or problem in Wikimedia projects. I'm interested in hearing your preferences and ideas for campaign topics!

Here’s how to participate:

Take care,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 03:33, 5 December 2015 (UTC)

Future IdeaLab Campaigns results[edit]

IdeaLab badge 1.png

Last December, I invited you to help determine future ideaLab campaigns by submitting and voting on different possible topics. I'm happy to announce the results of your participation, and encourage you to review them and our next steps for implementing those campaigns this year. Thank you to everyone who volunteered time to participate and submit ideas.

With great thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources, Wikimedia Foundation. 23:55, 26 January 2016 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign on content curation & review[edit]


I've recently launched an Inspire Campaign to encourage new ideas focusing on content review and curation in Wikimedia projects. Wikimedia volunteers collaboratively manage vast repositories of knowledge, and we’re looking for your ideas about how to manage that knowledge to make it more meaningful and accessible. We invite you to participate and submit ideas, so please get involved today! The campaign runs until March 28th.

All proposals are welcome - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is welcome - your skills and experience can help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign to improve review and curation tasks so that we can make our content more meaningful and accessible! I JethroBT (WMF) 05:39, 29 February 2016 (UTC)

(Opt-out Instructions) This message was sent by I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) through MediaWiki message delivery.

Should FuzzyBot remove all potentially outdated translations?[edit]

Hello, thanks for adding multiple new translations in your language here at Meta-Wiki in recent years. Please join the discussion with your opinion: Should FuzzyBot automatically remove all potentially outdated translations?. Nemo (talk) 12:01, 1 March 2016 (UTC)

Open Call for Individual Engagement Grants[edit]

IEG barnstar 2.png

Greetings! The Individual Engagement Grants (IEG) program is accepting proposals until April 12th to fund new tools, research, outreach efforts, and other experiments that enhance the work of Wikimedia volunteers. Whether you need a small or large amount of funds (up to $30,000 USD), IEGs can support you and your team’s project development time in addition to project expenses such as materials, travel, and rental space.

With thanks, I JethroBT (WMF), Community Resources 15:57, 31 March 2016 (UTC)

Cross-wiki watchlist[edit]

Hi! You voted for the cross-wiki watchlist as an important suggestions in the community wishlist survey last year. I'm pinging editors who showed interest in that task to tell them we have some suggestions for how things could look, if you'd like to glance at them and give us some feedback. You can find them on the project page on Meta. If you'd like to share any comments, you're very welcome to do so on the talk page. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 01:03, 21 May 2016 (UTC)

Participate in the Inspire Campaign and help address harassment![edit]

NounProject Leaves.png

Through June, we’re organizing an Inspire Campaign to encourage and support new ideas focusing on addressing harassment toward Wikimedia contributors. The 2015 Harassment Survey has shown evidence that harassment in various forms - name calling, threats, discrimination, stalking, and impersonation, among others - is pervasive. Available methods and systems to deal with harassment are also considered to be ineffective. These behaviors are clearly harmful, and in addition, many individuals who experience or witness harassment participate less in Wikimedia projects or stop contributing entirely.

Proposals in any language are welcome during the campaign - research projects, technical solutions, community organizing and outreach initiatives, or something completely new! Funding is available from the Wikimedia Foundation for projects that need financial support. Constructive feedback on ideas is appreciated, and collaboration is encouraged - your skills and experience may help bring someone else’s project to life. Join us at the Inspire Campaign so that we can work together to develop ideas around this important and difficult issue. With thanks,

I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 17:46, 31 May 2016 (UTC) (Opt-out instructions)

Wikimania 2016: IdeaLab Workshops[edit]

IdeaLab beaker and flask.svg

Wikimania 2016 is almost here! Mjohnson (WMF) and I are running two workshops for IdeaLab during the conference, and you are invited to join us for either (or both!)

If you have a proposal or idea you are thinking about, and would like a space to work on it on your own or with others, please consider joining us for either the Thursday or Saturday sessions. We'll discuss a little about IdeaLab and how it works, and the rest of the time is space for idea building. You can also use this session to ask questions about Wikimedia Foundation grants that are available if your proposal or idea may need funding. Thanks, and see you at the conference! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 20:45, 19 June 2016 (UTC)

Welcome to the Project Grants Committee[edit]

Hi NickK,

Thanks for signing up to join the Project Grants Committee! It is my pleasure to confirm your membership. We've got a lot to accomplish together, particularly during the next 2 months, and it will be awesome to have your help. Here is how to get started!

To make your membership official, please email mjohnson(_AT_)wikimedia · org by Sunday, August 14, and include the following three pieces of information:

  1. Your preferred email address for the committee mailing list
  2. Your preferred username for the committee's scoring tool
  3. Indicate all of the times from this list that would work for you to participate in a Committee Orientation:
    1. Tuesday August 16, 2016 - 1600 UTC
    2. Tuesday August 16, 2016 - 1900 UTC
    3. Wednesday August 17, 2016 - 0100 UTC
    4. Thursday August 18, 2016 - 1600 UTC
    5. Thursday August 18, 2016 - 2200 UTC
    6. Friday August 19, 2016 - 0100 UTC
    7. if none of the above times work for you, please provide at least two times that would work for you (be sure to indicate the date and the time zone)

Then, there are 2 first tasks for active committee members to start on right away:

  1. Read the information in the Committee Workroom (your committee organizing hub on meta), beginning with the getting started guide for new members.
  2. Start giving feedback on open proposals. Ask questions or make suggestions on the proposal talk pages to gather information you’ll need to make a recommendation. Your input helps prospective grantees think their projects all the way through and helps other committee members with their own review. The more you can support applicants now, the stronger the proposals we'll have to choose from.

The general calendar for this round is as follows:

Round 1 2016 schedule

Open call: 1 July – 2 August

Proposal deadline: 2 August

Staff eligibility review: 3–9 August

Community review: 10–23 August

Committee review: 24 August – 6 September

Grantees announced: 7 October

Grants disbursed: October


Our formal review of proposals starts on August 24. WMF staff will be posting information about scoring and selection of proposals on the committee mailing list, so please keep an eye there!

Thanks again for joining us to help make impactful Project Grants! :-)

--Marti (WMF) (talk) 23:41, 10 August 2016 (UTC)

@Mjohnson (WMF): Thanks, I have sent you an email. Please be aware that I might be unable to comment on the proposals for the next 5 days due to the holidays and I might be not very active during the August session (holiday season plus WLM preparation). Sorry for this but I hope to be more active during the following sessions as I do not expect any other conflicts — NickK (talk) 20:19, 11 August 2016 (UTC)

Thank you[edit]

Wikimedia Barnstar with TEXT.svg The Wikimedia Barnstar
The Wikimedia Barnstar is given, by staff, to recognize particularly fine contributions to the Wikimedia Movement, both online and offline, to let people know that their hard work is seen and appreciated. Awards can be made for contributions to the online projects and supporting wikis like Outreach Wiki or Meta; or involvement in the Wikimedia Foundation or Wikimedia Affiliates whether as a Volunteer or Member of Staff. This particular award is given for:
Your tireless dedication to free knowledge, and the amount of work you do, often invisibly and thanklessly.
It is inspiring, and I appreciate it greatly. Asaf (WMF) (talk) 15:37, 28 September 2016 (UTC)

For fellow recipients, please see the Roll of Honour

@Asaf (WMF): Wow, that's an inspiring barnstar indeed, thank you very much! — NickK (talk) 15:44, 28 September 2016 (UTC)

2016 Community Wishlist Survey[edit]


You’re getting this message because you participated in the 2015 Community Wishlist Survey and we want to make sure you don't miss it this year – or at least can make the conscious choice to ignore if it you want to. The 2015 survey decided what the Community Tech team should work on during 2016. It was also the focus of Wikimedia hackathons and work by other developers. You can see the status of wishes from the 2015 wishlist at 2015 Community Wishlist Survey/Results.

The 2016 Community Wishlist Survey is now open for wishes. You can create proposals until November 20. You will be able to vote on which wishes you think are best or most important between November 28 and December 12. /Johan (WMF) (talk) via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:17, 14 November 2016 (UTC)

Mois de la contribution francophone[edit]

Salut Nick, Je suis contributeur régulier à Wikipedia, et c'est ma 1ère année à Kiev. Je voulais monter un atelier d'initiation à Wikipedia pour tous les francophones et les étudiants de français de Kiev dans le cadre du mois de la contribution francophone (c'est à dire en mars, très bientôt...). J'ai le soutien de l'Institut français pour l'organisation matérielle, mais je voudrais ton avis sur un tel événement (d'un point de vue technique: par exemple j'ai vu que l'on ne pouvait uploader des photos de monuments ukrainiens sur wikicommons pour des questions de copyright), ou même d'avoir quelques membres de wikipedia ukraine pour venir s'amuser et échanger. Je m'adresse à toi car tu es membre de wikimedia ukraine et que tu parles français (sur ton profil). Réponds-moi, je suis impatient, --Charles Alexis Gérard (talk) 14:27, 27 January 2017 (UTC)

@Charles Alexis Gérard: Salut Charles, effectivement je suis membre de Wikimedia Ukraine et je parle français, donc ça tombe bien. Je ne pourrais pas y assister à Kiev car je vais très probablement être à Paris en mois de mars, mais je peux te mettre en contact avec d'autres membres de Wikimedia Ukraine si tu as besoin d'aide quelconque.
Wikimedia Ukraine a déjà organisé le concours Automne français qui consistait à écrire des articles en français sur l'Ukraine et vice versa. Nous avons également organisé quelques activités pour les étudiants d'allemand et de gréc à Kiev, mais pour l'instant aucun événement pour les étudiants en français, ça peut donc être intéressant.
Du point de vue technique, as-tu déjà organisé un atelier en France ou ailleurs ? As-tu peut-être besoin d'un matériel particulier pour l'atelier ? Est-ce que tu vas faire de la comm' tout seul ou tu as besoin d'aide pour la comm' ? En ce qui concerne les monuments en tout cas, la loi ukrainienne est très similaire à celle française, mais ça ne devrait pas poser des problèmes
Si tu as besoin de plus d'infos, tu peux m'écrire soit ici, soit par mail — NickK (talk) 15:42, 27 January 2017 (UTC)

Inspire Campaign survey on outreach to outside knowledge networks[edit]

Inspire Campaign Knowledge Networks Logo.png

Thanks for your participation during the Inspire Campaign focused on outreach to outside knowledge networks from February 2017. I'm interested in hearing your experience during the campaign, so if you're able, I invite you to complete this brief survey to describe how you contributed to the campaign and how you felt about participating. I want to improve how campaigns are run, so let me know if there's something that could be done better for next time.

Please feel free to let me know on my talk page if you have any questions about the campaign or the survey. Thanks! I JethroBT (WMF) (talk) 18:34, 31 March 2017 (UTC)

(Opt-out instructions)

Survey link error fixed[edit]

Hi there, there was a error with the Inspire survey link that caused the survey to be shown as expired, but has now been fixed. The link in the above message should now bring you to the survey. Apologies, I JethroBT (WMF) 19:20, 31 March 2017 (UTC)


Puisque tu parles français, j'en profite pour ajouter quelques remarques ici.

Je te conseille ces quelques pages pour avoir une meilleure compréhension de ce que je dis sur la page de la demande de grant

Anthere (talk)

And one additional note for comparison...édia_France/Proposal_form shows the budget of Wikimedia France for 11 staff full time equivalent : 681,861 €

Which means on average that a full time staff in France cost 62 000 euros per year. Which is 5165 euros per month. This represent salary + employment charges. This is what cost a full time staff in France. And this probably represent in the end a salary of about 3000 euros.

Since I am both the employer and the employee, I pay/support all charges. So yes... I still object to your statement that I would make a rather confortable revenue. When what I get is 5000 euros per month, we can consider that a rather decent revenue. But right now... we are very very very far from that. Forgive me, but I really resent your statement. We were very careful to propose really low amounts. I think it really unfair to be told this can be considered with a "rather decent revenue". Seriously. Anthere (talk)

Bonjour @Anthere: et merci pour les liens.
Mon erreur vient du fait que je croyais que vous allez travailler sur Wiki Loves Africa et Wiki Loves Women au même temps (quelqu'un du comité a dit ça et je n'ai pas vérifié) et j'ai donc eu le chiffre de 3000€/mois. Si les projets n'ont pas lieu au même temps, cela revient à 1500€/mois, ce qui n'est pas pareil. Oui, 1500€/mois brut n'est pas un bon revenu en France, je suis tout à fait d'accord ici.
En tout cas je ne vois pas de sujet de débat ici : vous avez proposé des chiffres, j'ai fais mes calculs (pour toi et pour Isla et l'Afrique du Sud) et j'ai compris que ces chiffres sont raisonnables. Oui, nous n'avons pas fait nos estimations de la même manière. Mais c'est à toi et à Isla de proposer. À cette étape ce n'est ni à moi, ni aux autres membres de comité d'avancer d'autres chiffres, nous devons simplement dire si cela nous paraît raisonnable ou non. Pour moi la réponse est « oui », on est donc d'accord sur cette ligne du budget — NickK (talk) 17:40, 8 May 2017 (UTC)

Précision sur le vote des points à ajouter à l'ODJ de septembre 2017[edit]


le commentaire que tu as ajouté avec ton vote risque d'être mal interprété : c'est en tout cas ce qui ressort de cet échange.

Est-ce que j'ai bien compris que tu étais pour que les 10 points soient ajoutés à l'ODJ, malgré les réserves sur les formulations?

Le mieux serait à mon avis d'enlever le commentaire, et de le partager sur la liste.

Merci d'avance !

--Bzg (talk) 15:36, 3 August 2017 (UTC)

@Bzg: Bonjour, j'ai fait le même commentaire que Rama : j'ai voté avant la modification de la formulation concernant la confiance au CA, et j'ai confirmé mon vote. J'ai ajouté une précision que je suis pour tous les 10 points, ce qui ne veut pas dire que je vais voter dix fois pour lors de l'AG. J'espère que mon commentaire est plus clair maintenant — NickK (talk) 17:03, 3 August 2017 (UTC)

Invitation to discussion about Per-user page blocking[edit]

Hi there,

The Anti-Harassment Tools team is seeking input about building a Per user page (or category) blocking feature.

We’re inviting you to join the discussion because you voted or commented in the 2015 Community Wishlist Survey about Enhanced per-user / per-article protection / blocking vote.

You can leave comments on this discussion page or send an email to the Anti-Harassment Tools team.

For the Anti-Harassment Tools team SPoore (WMF), Community Advocate, Community health initiative (talk) 17:03, 4 October 2017 (UTC)

Please let us know if you wish to opt-out of all massmessage mailings from the Anti-harassment tools team.

Global preferences ready for testing[edit]


I am contacting you because of your support for Global settings in the 2016 Community Tech Wishlist. Global preferences are now available for beta testing, and need your help before being released to the wikis.

  1. Read over the help page, it is brief and has screenshots
  2. Login or register an account on Beta English Wikipedia
  3. Visit Global Preferences and try enabling and disabling some settings
  4. Visit some other language and project test wikis such as English Wikivoyage, German Wiktionary, the Hebrew Wikipedia and test the settings
  5. Report your findings, experience, bugs, and other observations

Once the team has feedback on design issues, bugs, and other things that might need worked out, the problems will be addressed and global preferences will be sent to the wikis.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks! Keegan (WMF) (talk) 22:47, 26 February 2018 (UTC)

Template Wizard script available for testing[edit]

Hello. I'm contacting you because you voted for the Infobox Wizard in the 2017 Community Wishlist Survey.

The Infobox Wizard has gotten an upgrade - it's now a Template Wizard which works for infoboxes and all other templates. The feature is being developed as an extension (which will allow for localization) but there is a prototype user script which works well.

The Wishlist Team would love it if you could take a few minutes to try the Template Wizard prototype script out and give us feedback on whether it lives up to your expectations. This feedback will help build the script into an extension. To get started, add the following to your Special:MyPage/common.js -

mw.loader.load( '' );

The Template Wizard will show up as a puzzle-piece icon in the 2010 WikiEditor. You can click on the icon to insert a template. Your thoughts are needed on whether it makes sense for the wizard to be available for all users by default or if there should be a preference for it. If it's a preference, what should the default be? Please leave your feedback here. Thank you! -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 22:42, 28 March 2018 (UTC)

Commond deletion bot requirements[edit]

I'm contacting you because you supported the Commons Deletion Bot proposal in the 2017 Community Wishlist. The Wishlist team has finalized the draft specifications for how the bot will work, and are seeking review in confirming or discussing the plans for the bot. If you have some time, please take a look and leave a comment. Thanks, happy editing to you. - Keegan (WMF) (talk) 19:06, 12 April 2018 (UTC)

Help us design granular blocks![edit]

Hello :-) The Anti-Harassment Tools team at the Wikimedia Foundation will start building these granular blocking tools in a few weeks and we've asked WMF designer Alex Hollender to help us make some wireframes so the tools are intuitive to MediaWiki users.

We have a first draft of how we think this tool should work. You can read the full proposed implementation here but here are the significant parts:

  • Granular blocks (page, category, namespace, and file uploading) will be built on top of Special:Block. These blocks will function as if they were regular blocks and allow for the same options, but only take effect on specific pages.
  • We will add a new checkbox for "Block this user from the whole site" which will be checked by default. When it is unchecked the admin will be able to specify which pages, categories, and/or namespaces the user should be blocked from editing.
  • Granular blocks can be combined and/or overlap. (For example, a user could be simultaneously blocked from editing the articles Rain, Thunder, Lightning, and all pages inside the Category:Weather.)
  • Only one block is set at a time, to adjust what the user is blocked from the administrator would have to modify the existing block.
  • Block logs should display information about the granular block
  • When a blocked user attempts to edit an applicable page, they should see a block warning message which include information on their block (reason, expiration, what they are blocked from, etc.)
  • If a category is provided, the blocked user cannot edit either the category page itself and all pages within the category.
  • If the File: namespace is blocked, the user should not be allowed to upload files.

We like this direction because it builds on top of the existing block system, both a technical and usability wise. Before we get too far along with designs and development we'd like to hear from you about our prosposal:

  1. What do you think of the proposed implementation?
  2. We believe this should be an expansion of Special:Block, but it has been suggested that this be a new special page. What are your thoughts?
  3. Should uploading files be combined with a File namespace block, or as a separate option? (For example, if combined, when a user is blocked from the File namespace, they would neither be able to edit any existing pages in the File namespace nor upload new files.)
  4. Should there be a maximum number of things to be blocked from? Or should we leave it up to admin discretion?

We appreciate your feedback on this project's talk page or by email. For the Anti-Harassment Tools team, SPoore (WMF) (talk) , Trust and Safety Specialist, Community health initiative (talk) 20:49, 9 May 2018 (UTC)

Commons deletion notification bot[edit]


You are receiving this message because you supported the Commons deletion notification bot in the 2017 Community Wishlist Survey.

Commons deletion notification bot is ready to be deployed to any Wikimedia wiki that wishes to use it. If your community is interested in the bot, you can leave a request on the project page on meta-wiki. The bot messages are available for translation on, as part of preparing the bot for release.

Thank you for your participation in the Wishlist. -- Keegan (WMF) (talk) 17:29, 16 August 2018 (UTC)

Results from global Wikimedia survey 2018 are published[edit]

19:25, 1 October 2018 (UTC)

The Community Wishlist Survey[edit]


You get this message because you’ve previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey. I just wanted to let you know that this year’s survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until 11 November: Community Wishlist Survey 2019.

You can vote from November 16 to November 30. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won’t send out a separate reminder to you about that. /Johan (WMF) 11:24, 30 October 2018 (UTC)

URGENT: Please sign new Wikimedia confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information now[edit]

Wikimedia Foundation logo - vertical (2012-2016).svg

This is a reminder to acknowledge and sign the new Confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information. As you know, your volunteer role in Wikimedia projects gives you access to secure and sensitive information.

The new version includes one major change.

  • There is a change regarding the way personal data may be released. Accordingly, functionaries must notify the Wikimedia Foundation at check-disclosure(_AT_) before releasing data, in order to obtain a written approval for doing so. The Foundation will respond within 10 days. However, for emergencies, such as cases involving threats of violence, functionaries may release the personal data without such explicit permission, but they should notify the Foundation immediately following the disclosure. If they choose not to disclose the data, the request for disclosure should be forwarded to the Foundation's emergency email address (emergency(_AT_)

There are also some wording changes that were made to more closely align the language with evolving industry norms, best practices and laws. The most notable of these has been the change of the term "nonpublic information" to "nonpublic personal data". None of these changes are intended to make fundamental changes to the scope or practice of the policy but we know they could appear as such, hence wanted to flag them.

The aforementioned changes require users that have already signed the previous version of the policy to sign the new version as well.

We therefore ask that you to sign the updated version. Signing the agreement is tracked on Phabricator's Legalpad. An online guide is available to help you with signing the agreement: Confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information/How to sign. If you wish you can sign it directly at The exact policy is located here: Access to nonpublic personal data policy. The text of the confidentiality agreement is located here: Confidentiality agreement for nonpublic information

If you have already received this message and signed the updated agreement, you need not sign it again. Once is sufficient. In this case, we ask that you respond to Samuel (WMF) letting him know when (date) and how (method/process of signing) you have signed it so that we can update our own records.

Note: please bear in mind that if you still haven’t signed the updated version of the Confidentiality Agreement by February 13, 2019 your rights will be removed.

Thank you for your understanding,

Samuel Guebo (User:Samuel (WMF)), Wikimedia Foundation

Posted by the MediaWiki message delivery - 15:16, 11 January 2019 (UTC)

"Who Wrote That" project update[edit]

Hello. I'm reaching out to you as you participated in the 2017 Community Wishlist proposal for "Who Wrote That" project (previously known as "Blame Tool"). The Community Tech team is kicking things off on the project and we have an early-stage mockup available for you to look at. I invite you to follow that project page, where I will be posting periodic status updates for the project. You are also welcome to provide your thoughts on the talk page. Thank you. -- NKohli (WMF) (talk) 22:57, 21 February 2019 (UTC)

The Affiliate-selected Board seats process welcomes your support[edit]

Globe of letters.png

Hello. You are receiving this message because you kindly helped with affiliates-related translations in the past. The movement needs you again! The Nominations phase has started for the ongoing selection process of two Board members, and the timeline is quite tight.

A Translation Central is available to help keen translators like you figure out what's been covered and what's left to do. Over the course of the next few weeks, your attention on candidates' profiles is particularly welcome. While there are four languages that are especially relevant for multiple affiliates (namely Arabic, French, Russian and Spanish), you can also add others. If you can't help: please see if you know anyone in your circle who could, and spread the word :)

Thank you! Elitre (WMF) and Facilitators of ASBS 2019, 13:19, 18 April 2019 (UTC)

User script to access other watchlists[edit]

Hi NickK,

If you remember, you participated in the 2019 Community Wishlist Survey, including the discussion for reviving "Crosswatch" to allow for cross-wiki watchlists (Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Watchlists/Revive Crosswatch tool).

I sent you this MassMessage because I wanted to let you know that I have made a user script to make accessing your watchlists on different wikis easier, since for now that wishlist item has not been actioned.

The way it works is that, on any wiki, when you look at your watchlist, there is a button labeled "CA" that takes you to the CentralAuth page for you. There, when looking at your own information, each link to a wiki ("", "", "", etc.) is changed so that it links to your watchlist on that wiki.

If you are interested in using it, just add mw.loader.load('//'); to your global javascript page. This imports the code at m:User:DannyS712/Watchlist.js.

If you want to learn more, there is documentation for the script available at w:en:User:DannyS712/Watchlist. If you would like to discuss the script, talk to me at m:User talk:DannyS712.

Thanks, --05:50, 6 June 2019 (UTC)

The Research team could use your help[edit]

Globe of letters.png

Hello. You are receiving this message because of your recent activity in the Translations namespace.

The Wikimedia Research team is developing a new algorithm that automatically recommends sections for editors to add to articles. Translations have already occurred for some of the few languages that we are testing in, except for Spanish and Russian. If you have some time in the next few days, please consider translating the short message (only 6 items) we aim to send out soon, in one or both of these languages. (And if you feel like you want to support your tester peers even more, you can do so by taking care of the related instructions page.)

Thank you! Jonathan Morgan & Diego Saez-Trumper, Wikimedia Foundation Research - 18:14, 19 June 2019 (UTC)

Vote pour le siège au conseil d'administration de Wikimédia France[edit]

Bonsoir NickK,

une première rédaction du règlement de vote à cette élection laissait planer une ambiguïté sur la possibilité, ou non, de voter pour plusieurs candidatures.

Nous précisons donc qu'il est parfaitement possible de voter pour plusieurs candidatures, si tel était votre souhait.

La page du règlement a été clarifiée.

Bien cordialement,

Willie Robert (talk) 21:05, 22 September 2019 (UTC)

Bonsoir @Willie Robert:, merci pour la précision, mais je n'ai pas de souhait de voter pour plusieurs candidatures, du moins pour l'instant. Merci — NickK (talk) 22:00, 22 September 2019 (UTC)

Watchlist Expiry project page[edit]


During the Community Whishlist survey 2019, you have voted for the Watchlist item Expiration wish.

Community Tech has created the Watchlist Expiry project page to work on this feature, and is looking for your feedback about the open questions they have.

Regards, IFried_(WMF), 15:51, 25 September 2019 (UTC)

Hello, NickK! The Community Tech team has posted an April update to the Watchlist Expiry project, and we would love your feedback. The update includes new mockups, which show how users can determine watch status when viewing/editing watched pages or the watchlist. In that case, we invite you to check out the update and share your feedback on the project talk page. Thank you! --IFried (WMF) (talk) 17:50, 23 April 2020 (UTC)

Thanks for your help[edit]

ASBS 2019 Volunteer Translator - orange hexagon.svg

Hi there, translator! Here's a little token of appreciation for a recent effort you contributed to. Surprised? Well, the best is yet to come.

  • We'd love to send you this badge as an actual sticker. If you want, you can use this Google Form to communicate your address so we can ship it to you. Note that we will close the form on October 13, 2019, and all data will be removed shortly afterwards. Details about this external site are provided at the top of the form.
  • We also have this badge waiting for you on Wikimedia Space. You can use the form linked above to let us know what your username is on this brand new hub, so that you can get the award there as well. If you don't have an account yet, just go ahead and enjoy joining via Wikimedia login in just a few clicks. (And in case you hadn't heard yet, you can join the community of translators there as well).

Again, thanks for everything you are doing to make this movement a better (and multilingual!) place: please do not hesitate to reach out if you have questions, and I hope to hear from you soon. --Elitre (WMF), 13:03, 28 September 2019 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2020[edit]


You are getting this message because you've previously participated in the Community Wishlist Survey, in either the Wikisource or Wiktionary categories. I wanted to let you know that this year's survey is now open for proposals. You can suggest technical changes until November 11. Unlike previous years, we are only accepting proposals for non-Wikipedia content projects with no dedicated teams (i.e., Wikibooks, Wiktionary, Wikiquote, Wikisource, Wikiversity, Wikispecies, Wikivoyage, and Wikinews). You can learn more on the survey page.

You can vote on proposals from November 20 to December 2. To keep the number of messages at a reasonable level, I won't send out a separate reminder to you about that. We look forward to your participation. Thank you! IFried (WMF) (talk) 18:52, 22 October 2019 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2019 - Section Name in Diff[edit]


The Community Tech team (WMF) has officially started the project for Section Name in Diff, the #9 wish from the 2019 Community Wishlist Survey!

You previously voted for this wish, so we are now contacting you. We invite you to visit the project page, where you can read a project analysis and share your feedback.

We hope to see you on the project talk page, and thank you in advance!

-- IFried (WMF), 14:14, 9 March 2020 (UTC)

Community open letter on renaming Wikimedia[edit]

Hello, I came here from the links at m:Wikimedia chapters (please update if wrong). Has your chapter discussed the Community open letter on renaming Wikimedia, and are you going to sign it? Nemo 12:48, 30 June 2020 (UTC)

@Nemo bis: We did, we had no consensus on signing it (at least yet) — NickK (talk) 12:50, 30 June 2020 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2021: Invitation[edit]

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

18:26, 20 November 2020 (UTC)

Community Wishlist Survey 2021[edit]

SGrabarczuk (WMF)

16:09, 11 December 2020 (UTC)

Sunday February 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

We are a mosiac.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, and January SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates, this month we are meeting on Sunday February 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

To help set priorities for the SWAN agenda, and also to help manage which global conversations should be a focus in general, we have set up and invite everyone to participate at this SWAN priorities form.

Possible topics include Community Board seats, Interim Global Council, Strategy prioritization follow-up events, Branding, Universal Code of Conduct, Grant strategy, and WMF CEO search. That is a lot of things, which are most important to cover in our upcoming SWAN meeting?

Following the regular call, in SWAN after hours: Wikimedia Meet Jitsi social event with brainstorming for possible Nano Charter ideas, plus any other topics.

--Pharos (talk) 17:59, 18 February 2021 (UTC)

Participation on a panel discussion[edit]

Hi there @NickK: I am reaching out to see if you would be willing to participate in a panel discussion about skills for board work. The planned time is March 12, 2021 at 18:00 UTC. Please let me know if you are able to participate or if you are unable to participate. Best, JKoerner (WMF) (talk) 18:56, 3 March 2021 (UTC)

Hi @JKoerner (WMF):! I am interested in this topic, however, I cannot be fully sure I can make it for work-related reasons. Is there a deadline to confirm participation? Thanks — NickK (talk) 12:45, 4 March 2021 (UTC)
Hi @NickK: Thanks for getting back to me. I understand about work. We are planning these sessions on short notice, so letting me know as soon as you know about participating would be wonderful. When do you think you could know for sure? I do hope you can participate because you have some great ideas to share and discuss. Best, JKoerner (WMF) (talk) 14:33, 4 March 2021 (UTC)
@JKoerner (WMF): Do I understand correctly it will last 90 minutes? The timing is not perfect but feasible. I think I will likely have a better idea on Monday — NickK (talk) 18:35, 4 March 2021 (UTC)
@NickK:, Yes, this could be up to 90 minutes, but you can attend what is reasonable for you. Thank you for considering partipation! Best, JKoerner (WMF) (talk) 18:40, 4 March 2021 (UTC)
@JKoerner (WMF): Sorry but I did not get, am I invited to participate as a member of the panel or as a member of the audience? Given the what is reasonable for you I assume the latter. I can more or less commit that I would be able to listen to most of this talk, but I am not yet sure I can talk during the majority of the call (this is a time I might be travelling home from the office) — NickK (talk) 18:46, 4 March 2021 (UTC)
Oh, I hope you can participate on the panel, but I also think it is understandable if you can only dedicate a portion of time (like 45 minutes or an hour instead of 90 minutes). Sorry for the confusion! Best, JKoerner (WMF) (talk) 18:50, 4 March 2021 (UTC)

Sunday March 21 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Community as a hand-carved gem.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, and February SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Grants relaunch, Universal Code of Conduct/Discussions, Wikimedia Enterprise / OKAPI, Community Board seats, Interim Global Council + Movement Charter, and WMF Executive Transition

This month we are meeting on Sunday March 21, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of and are the same as before, although some places have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 19:39, 17 March 2021 (UTC)

@Pharos: Thanks, I am not sure I will be available this time, although I might finally become available for the second session — NickK (talk) 19:51, 17 March 2021 (UTC)

Sunday April 25 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Swanlings grow up together.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, and March SWAN meetings and June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Interim Global Council + Movement Charter, WMF Resolution about the upcoming Board elections, Community Resilience and Sustainability role in Movement Strategy coordination, Grants Strategy Relaunch, and WMF Executive Transition

This month we are meeting on Sunday April 25, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(Note that the UTC times of and are the same as before, although some places may have had daylight savings time changes since our last meeting).--Pharos (talk) 04:19, 23 April 2021 (UTC)

@Pharos: Thanks for the reminder, count me in — NickK (talk) 10:33, 23 April 2021 (UTC)

Sunday June 6 Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network meeting[edit]

Swan of healing.

The Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network (SWAN) is a developing forum for all Wikimedia movement affiliates to share ideas on the Wikimedia 2030 strategy process. It expands on the model of the All-Affiliates Brand Meeting to help lay some of the groundwork for a future Global Council.

Following up on the August, September, October, November, January, February, March, and April SWAN meetings, as well as last June's All-Affiliates Brand Meeting, as well as strategic and outreach topics of mutual concern to all affiliates including Movement Charter + Movement Strategy/Events, WMF Board elections, Wikimania 2021, and Grants Regional Committees.

This month we are meeting on Sunday June 6, and you are all invited to RSVP here.

(UTC meeting times are and *Note that we have shifted the second call an hour earlier in UTC time due to popular demand and to accomodate daylight savings*.)--Pharos (talk) 20:47, 3 June 2021 (UTC)