User talk:Johan (WMF)

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Afrikaans | العربية | অসমীয়া | asturianu | azərbaycanca | Boarisch | беларуская | беларуская (тарашкевіца)‎ | български | বাংলা | བོད་ཡིག | bosanski | català | کوردی | corsu | čeština | Cymraeg | dansk | Deutsch | Deutsch (Sie-Form)‎ | Zazaki | ދިވެހިބަސް | Ελληνικά | emiliàn e rumagnòl | English | Esperanto | español | eesti | euskara | فارسی | suomi | français | Nordfriisk | Frysk | galego | Alemannisch | ગુજરાતી | עברית | हिन्दी | Fiji Hindi | hrvatski | magyar | հայերեն | interlingua | Bahasa Indonesia | Ido | íslenska | italiano | 日本語 | ქართული | ភាសាខ្មែរ | 한국어 | kar | kurdî | Limburgs | lietuvių | Baso Minangkabau | македонски | മലയാളം | молдовеняскэ | Bahasa Melayu | မြန်မာဘာသာ | مازِرونی | Napulitano | नेपाली | Nederlands | norsk nynorsk | norsk | occitan | Kapampangan | polski | português | پښتو | Runa Simi | română | русский | sicilianu | سنڌي | සිංහල | slovenčina | slovenščina | Soomaaliga | shqip | српски / srpski | svenska | ślůnski | தமிழ் | тоҷикӣ | ไทย | Türkmençe | Tagalog | Türkçe | татарча/tatarça | ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ  | українська | اردو | oʻzbekcha/ўзбекча | Tiếng Việt | 吴语 | 粵語 | 中文(简体)‎ | 中文(繁體)‎ | +/-

Welcome to Meta![edit]

Hello, Johan (WMF). Welcome to the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki! This website is for coordinating and discussing all Wikimedia projects. You may find it useful to read our policy page. If you are interested in doing translations, visit Meta:Babylon. You can also leave a note on Meta:Babel or Wikimedia Forum if you need help with something (please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting there). Happy editing!

-- Meta-Wiki Welcome (talk) 20:34, 27 May 2015 (UTC)

Travelling[edit]

In case anyone is trying to reach me here due to the recent HTTPS development: I'll be travelling for much of the weekend. I'll get back to you as soon as I can, or someone else might check in and see if they can help you. Feel free to get in touch, just be prepared that it might take some extra time before I can get back to you. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 03:36, 13 June 2015 (UTC)

Intermittent HTTPS timeout[edit]

Hi, I made a post here about intermittent HTTPS timeouts. If you want to try to replicate it by running this command a dozen times or so in a row, and see if it ever times out:

wget -d -q -O- "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlies"

Unfortunately it sometimes works no problems so might need to try it at different times of the day. Having the same problem with curl, and I believe also AWB is occasionally timing out (though I haven't confirmed the cause it looks similar). -- Green Cardamom (talk) 03:06, 18 June 2015 (UTC)

Thanks! We'll look into it. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 06:40, 18 June 2015 (UTC)

A rather minor language question (only concerning Swedish)[edit]

Hej Johan!

Jag såg först i dag ett flera veckor gammalt meddelande av dig, som började

"Wikimediastiftelsen har de senaste åren arbetat mot att aktivera HTTPS som standard för alla användare..."

Jag fick läsa hela ditt meddelande flera gånger innan jag (förmodligen?) förstod vad du menade. Resten av meddelandet stämde nämligen inte alls med att stiftelsen skulle ha motarbetat en aktivering av HTTPS, vilket är den normala innebörden på svenska av den citerade satsen. Till sist insåg jag att du antagligen har översatt något som på engelska snarare löd "...have been working towards..." än "...have been working against...".

Det här är inte särskilt viktigt; förhoppningsvis fattade flertalet läsare vad du menade snabbare än jag gjorde det; men för mig får du gärna använda en annan formulering (t. ex. "...arbetat med (målet) att...") nästa gång.

Med vänlig hälsning, JoergenB (talk) 00:52, 31 July 2015 (UTC)

Hej Jörgen! Jag har faktiskt inte skrivit den aktuella texten själv. Jag skrev den engelska texten och lade upp för översättning; den svenska var en av många jag fick hjälp med, vilket jag är mycket tacksam för eftersom jag hade fantastiskt mycket att göra just då. Jag hoppas att budskapet gick fram. :) /Johan (WMF) (talk) 12:30, 31 July 2015 (UTC)
OK, jag förstår. A more general question: Do you need more translators? If I'd like to contribute, where should I report this? JoergenB (talk) 15:08, 31 July 2015 (UTC)
Always! And thank you for asking. You can read more on Translation#Translators on meta.
The Wikimedia Translators mailing list might be interesting as well. It'll typically see something like 7 or 8 emails each week. But you don't have to be on any mailing lists, of course, the most important information is the one I linked to on Meta. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 15:13, 31 July 2015 (UTC)

A slightly larger language question...[edit]

Hej igen!

I think you might have some good advice to give in the thread c:Commons:Café#¿Quieren ustedes reduplicar los "Tech ambassador-messages"?. The point is that the Tech ambassador messages now are delivered in identical versions to two commons pages. However, one of the pages is Spanish-speaking, and probably would prefer to get the Spanish version instead of the English one. Is there a possibility to tweak the "My language" function for specific project pages within a project? (After all, some projects, like Commons, are not quite monolinguistic.)

M. v. h., JoergenB (talk) 11:36, 28 August 2015 (UTC)

Nä, inte Meta heller, så vi kan ju för all del tala svenska.
Jag har svarat på Commons. Tyvärr finns det ett steg som behöver lösas för att vi automatiskt skall kunna skicka ut på andra språk till sidor på wikier där standardinställningen är engelska. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 08:53, 1 September 2015 (UTC)

"no limit to the number of support votes that you [may] cast"[edit]

This phrasing seemed illogical. :-)     I changed the wording to specify that one can support as many proposals as one desires, but to exclude the possibility of casting 99 support-votes for any single proposal.[1] However, my changes are not showing up on the relevant subpages, presumably because {{TNT}} is being utilized? I tried action=purge on this page, for instance -- https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2015_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Bots_and_gadgets -- but it still says "no limit to the number of support votes that you cast". Also ping Kaldari and Nemo_bis who edited that message-text at some point. 75.108.94.227 19:03, 2 December 2015 (UTC)

Yes, the translation extension in combination with templates used on subpages is a bit tricky. I've fixed it now (but kept some of the things you wanted to rephrase, not because there was anything wrong in particular with how you phrased it, but because the template grew bigger and more difficult to read). /Johan (WMF) (talk) 13:17, 3 December 2015 (UTC)
And thank you. :) /Johan (WMF) (talk) 13:18, 3 December 2015 (UTC)
Much appreciated, thanks. 75.108.94.227 11:24, 5 December 2015 (UTC)

Holidays[edit]

In case anyone tries to contact me, I'll be on vacation over the holidays. I'll be back at work on January 4. In the meanwhile, I hope to get some proper editing done, maybe get that expansion of the history of Vänersborg done – been planning that for a while now.

If you wanted something related to Tech News, you can write on Talk:Tech/News. If you wanted to get in touch regarding Community Tech, you can write on Talk:Community Tech. If you generally wanted to get in touch with the Community Liaisons, you can write on Talk:Community Engagement (Product). /Johan (WMF) (talk) 15:31, 16 December 2015 (UTC)

I'm back. I've been vandal fighting a bit, and copy editing, and adding some content to random articles. I did not get the article on the history of Vänersborg done. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 13:02, 4 January 2016 (UTC)

Day Month[edit]

Why did you switch from Month Day to Day Month in Tech/News/2015/50? GeoffreyT2000 (talk) 02:30, 18 December 2015 (UTC)

Hi GeoffreyT2000, sorry for the late reply. I've been off duty over the holidays, and just been editing from my normal, non-WMF account.
It was pointed out to me that the newsletter has been inconsistent: it's been using both the Month Day Year and Day Month Year formats. The change wasn't an active choice to move from one to the other, but rather an attempt to not use both in the same newsletter. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 13:01, 4 January 2016 (UTC)

Changed logins[edit]

Hi Johan, I sent an email for you, about this post. Thanks very much. Vitor Mazuco Msg 13:58, 8 February 2016 (UTC)

@Vitor Mazuco:: Thank you! I assume it went to the email address listed in the post? That's for User:Tgr (WMF), but that's for the best – he's the one who's handling the bug, I was merely helping him to reach some non-English wikis. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 14:13, 8 February 2016 (UTC)

Delivery Tech News: 2016-10[edit]

Hello! I just wanted to notice that there was a bug in the delivery of "Tech News: 2016-10" in almost two sites (es.source and mul.source). The substring didn't work so the whole message was added. Also, a nowiki tag was necessary between the code tags (e.g. correction at mul.source). Best regards :) -Aleator (talk) 21:40, 11 March 2016 (UTC)

Huh. Thank you, Aleator. I'll look into it. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 22:55, 11 March 2016 (UTC)

Broken link in Tech/News/2016/11[edit]

Hello. I found that the link read more about the server work isn't working. I think this should be fixed, but I don't know where is the page about it. Can you fix it? Sorry for my poor English. Thanks.--Ccgxk (talk) 09:23, 12 March 2016 (UTC)

Hi Ccgxk! Sorry for the confusion: the link isn't working because the page doesn't exist yet. I'm not too happy about that solution, but I had no time to create a proper page that explains the situation and the translators needed to be able to start translating. It will be fixed before it is distributed to the wikis on Monday. Thank you fro telling me – if it hadn't been on purpose, I would definitely have preferred to know. I'll add something that explains the situation. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 10:11, 12 March 2016 (UTC)
@Ccgxk:: Added a short explanation to the newsletter now. Thank you for poking me, I should have done that from the very beginning. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 10:13, 12 March 2016 (UTC)
Hello, and thank you for replying! I understood. Sorry for taking your time.--Ccgxk (talk) 11:20, 12 March 2016 (UTC)
Nothing to apologize for, Ccgxk! Your comment made sure I explained why the link doesn't work yet, and that's a good thing. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 12:08, 12 March 2016 (UTC)

Translation tool does not work[edit]

Hello. You added today a new topic to tech news. The translation tool does not recognize it.Thank you. IKhitron (talk) 16:46, 29 April 2016 (UTC)

Thanks for pointing this out. This has now been fixed. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 17:26, 29 April 2016 (UTC)
Thank you. IKhitron (talk) 17:39, 29 April 2016 (UTC)

Translate dummy edits[edit]

Hi. I noticed that you have been doing dummy edits when marking for translation. These are no longer needed because phab:T53731 and phab:T56579 have been fixed. :-) If you still notice any issues, please report them. Regards, --Glaisher (talk) 06:43, 30 April 2016 (UTC)

Excellent, thanks. :) /Johan (WMF) (talk) 12:26, 30 April 2016 (UTC)

Tech/News/2016/22[edit]

Hi Johan, looks like I broke part of this page by making an edit, and I can't change it back to translatable; please review. xaosflux Talk 02:51, 28 May 2016 (UTC)

Will do. Thanks for pinging me. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 04:58, 28 May 2016 (UTC)

Visual Editor on talk pages[edit]

Hello Johan.

Last week the visual editor had been enabled on talk and project namespaces, and after a few minutes the change was cancelled. Do you think the Tech News should include something about it? Guycn2 · 18:32, 7 July 2016 (UTC)

Hi! Looking into it, will include tomorrow in that case. Thanks for the tip. :) /Johan (WMF) (talk) 19:39, 7 July 2016 (UTC)
It was a glitch that lasted a few minutes (nothing planned). Since it didn't last any longer than that, I don't think it's necessary to include something, but thanks for mentioning it! /Johan (WMF) (talk) 21:26, 7 July 2016 (UTC)
Hi there, thanks for the present you sent, I got it today. But when this glitch will be official, at least in project namespace? I will be happy that day. IKhitron (talk) 21:33, 7 July 2016 (UTC)
Johan, do you mean the VE was enabled on talk&project namespaces just because of an error? Is there no plan to re-enable it soon? Guycn2 · 21:46, 7 July 2016 (UTC)
Yes, exactly: it was an error that lasted a couple of minutes. As for future plans for VE and other namespaces, I think Elitre (WMF) or Whatamidoing (WMF) are better suited to comment – they know far more about VE than I do. But as far as I know, there are no such plans. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 21:53, 7 July 2016 (UTC)
But these minutes the VE worked as if was created for these namespaces, for example autosignature and autoindent. Somehow it must know how to do that. IKhitron (talk) 21:57, 7 July 2016 (UTC)
The VisualEditor doesn't have an autoindent feature. (In fact, MediaWiki itself doesn't have an indent feature: it has a definition list system, and we use half of that list formatting to create faux indentations.) It usually keeps the list formatting used by the paragraph above it.
The signature feature is intended for things like Grants:Project/Rapid/Empowering African schools with Kiwix#Endorsements, not full discussions.
How editors use talk pages is different from how they use the articlespace. It's the product manager's conviction that these two uses are so different, that it's not possible to do both well with the same software. However, upon request from communities, it can be enabled for the Wikipedia: or Project: namespace. (Hint: successful requests usually talk more about editing policy pages than about discussions. ;-) Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 22:34, 7 July 2016 (UTC)
Thank you, User:Whatamidoing (WMF). Maybe autoindent comes from the flow. About the hint: if we ask VE for the Project namespace because of its best feature - tables editor - do we have a chance? IKhitron (talk) 23:05, 7 July 2016 (UTC)
You have a very good chance, so long as you don't say that the only reason you want it is for discussions. A link to a community discussion on the subject might be handy; that would prevent any delays on grounds of "community consensus needed". {{ping}} me when you're ready; I can file the official request on Phab if you don't want to. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 00:01, 8 July 2016 (UTC)
Could you help me, please, User:Whatamidoing (WMF)? If it's possible, could you tell me which wikis do have VE in Project namespace? One our user is against this in our wiki from particular reason - he's affraid that something bad will happen, and I'd like to see if it happens in these wikis. Thank you in advance, IKhitron (talk) 18:07, 11 July 2016 (UTC)

┌─────────────────────────────────┘
I'm happy to help you. Here's a list of requests that I found easily:

Depending upon the kinds of concerns, these other namespaces might also be interesting:

You may also find this explanatory comment interesting: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T61818#623944

And, finally, there is the enwiki request, which is for some people to request it and then for some other people to un-request it. A little better communication on the wiki might have prevented that confusion. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 23:32, 11 July 2016 (UTC)

Thank you very much, Whatamidoing (WMF).

Regarding the Tech News (again)[edit]

Hi Johan.

Please take a look at the following sentence from the current newsletter:

Users who have multiple unread notifications can mark them as read by visiting Special:Notifications page on their wiki.

I've noticed that this sentence is under the "Problems" section. Why? Isn't it an intentional software change? This sentence doesn't have a link to Phabricator or Gerrit, that's why I can't check it by myself... Guycn2 · 21:46, 8 July 2016 (UTC)

Trizek (WMF), could you clarify? /Johan (WMF) (talk) 22:42, 8 July 2016 (UTC)
Guycn2, it might be clearer to say "Here is the temporary solution to a known problem" rather than "Problems". There seems to be a problem with these notifications not getting marked as read, and visiting that page is the work-around for the problem. Whatamidoing (WMF) (talk) 17:00, 9 July 2016 (UTC)
Thanks for the answer. Therefore, I think the sentence on the Tech News would be clearer like this: There is a problem of notifications not getting marked as read. A temporary solution is visiting Special:Notifications. Guycn2 · 17:05, 9 July 2016 (UTC)
Guycn2, the problem we propose to solve is the case when you have dozens of notifications still unread but not visible in the notifications fly-out. Visiting the new-designed special: Notifications page is the best way to clear all that. There is no section on Tech News for that kind of tip, so I've put it on the section that I think was the best one. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 12:19, 11 July 2016 (UTC)

Interwiki in Tech News[edit]

Why not use interwiki prefixes in Tech News to Phab and Lists? --Wargo (talk) 10:25, 16 July 2016 (UTC)

Hi Wargo, I'm on vacation (and supposed to be on a short wikibreak, actually ...) but accidentally opened up my talk page here, so I'll quickly comment from my normal volunteer account. I assume you mean when linking to tasks and emails as sources/further reading? (I tend use use e.g. [[phab:]] in the actual items.) To be honest, main reason I keep doing it that way is that's how Tech News was done before I took over, and I don't want to change things unless I have a good reason to, to avoid unnecessarily disrupting the process and the reading of the newsletter. That said, I think there are good reasons for doing it this way.
The benefits I see is that we get a coherent system for referring to more information, that it takes up less place for the readers and, most importantly, since it's an external link that will just be transformed into a number, it can be put outside the <translate> tags which means the translators don't need to care about it. Anything that can make the translators' work easier is a good thing.
Do you have reasons for why it should be done differently I might have not thought about? I'm not saying this can't be changed, just that I don't see the reasons for doing so.
(I'll respond to answers to this once I'm actually working again. Officially, you know.) /Julle (talk) 22:59, 19 July 2016 (UTC)

Help[edit]

Hello. I am asking for help.I Need the code of the robot)(compat (WIKI AZB).E THP (talk) 07:42, 18 September 2016 (UTC)

Hi E THP, I'm not really sure which bot you're referring to. The (no longer supported) compat version of Pywikibot? A specific bot that's active on azb.wikipedia.org? Could you link to the bot user page? /Johan (WMF) (talk) 18:42, 18 September 2016 (UTC)

2016 Community Wishlist Survey[edit]

Hi,

You’re getting this message because you participated in the 2015 Community Wishlist Survey and we want to make sure you don't miss it this year – or at least can make the conscious choice to ignore if it you want to. The 2015 survey decided what the Community Tech team should work on during 2016. It was also the focus of Wikimedia hackathons and work by other developers. You can see the status of wishes from the 2015 wishlist at 2015 Community Wishlist Survey/Results.

The 2016 Community Wishlist Survey is now open for wishes. You can create proposals until November 20. You will be able to vote on which wishes you think are best or most important between November 28 and December 12. /Johan (WMF) (talk) via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:14, 14 November 2016 (UTC)

2016 Community Wishlist Survey[edit]

Hi Johan. This wishlist is mostly for "big projects". On my side, I work with other users on d:Module:Cycling race. The goal is first to centralize all datas about cycling on Wikidata and then reuse them in different Wikipedias thanks to a common algorithm. The global idea is to share datas on Wikidata as we share photos on Commons, and this way to save time for everybody, this time can being used to create more articles or write more text, text are the capital gain of Wikipedia.

On the development side, we are doing very well. But we need people able to translate from French or even English into many other languages ​​so that this program can be shared as much as possible. We need, for example, people speaking Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Slavic languages, Hindi... because Wikipedia is bound to develop in these languages, and that the creation of articles will be childish if there is no need to worry about the data and their shaping, and that these contributors have thus to write. Jérémy-Günther-Heinz Jähnick (talk) 13:20, 14 November 2016 (UTC)

Jérémy-Günther-Heinz Jähnick: Oh yes, I'm very familiar with the pains of trying to get translations – I have this problem regularly (and as a translator in my spare time, the problem of having too many things that could potentially be translated). It's not that the wishlist is mainly for really big wishes, but it is for technical wishes, because that's what the Community Tech tea, could do something about. Which doesn't mean I shouldn't try to help you if I could, of course. I wish I could tell you that I had a great solution, but to be honest, I'd say the Wikimedia Foundation has never been fantastic at this either. What have you done so far to try to get people involved? There are WikiProjects about cycling on around a dozen Wikipedias, have you pinged all of them? /Johan (WMF) (talk)
Yes, I regularly contact users, so we have translations in an interesting number of languages, and sometimes, I speak to them of future functions, this way they know what will arrive. We have two pages that list the items we generally use in cycling here and here, documentation for each function, and examples of different cases. But for these languages, there is nobody. And the task is sometimes complicated because items are generally very precise and different between them, so the level in translation must be good. But once it is done, users have all the tables in their language and they are also able to work on Wikidata in their language too, to make a correction or add datas. On another hand, the maximum of datas of the FR Wiki are entered in Wikidata, this way users can make their own articles fastily because we share the same lines of code in each Wikipedia. The problem comes from these languages where the section of cycling is very very small because they are less and because it is very long to make articles about cycling with all the code, and I don't know how I should to to have all the translations by languages to permit them to create articles in few minutes. Jérémy-Günther-Heinz Jähnick (talk) 15:38, 14 November 2016 (UTC)
Jérémy-Günther-Heinz Jähnick: Sorry for the late reply. Are you familiar with the Translate extension? It's available on Wikidata too. I don't know if it could help you? I'm not a translation admin on Meta, but if this could help you a bit on the way, maybe e.g. User:Lea Lacroix (WMDE) could help you? /Johan (WMF) (talk) 12:01, 21 November 2016 (UTC)
Yes, I know this system. Here, it is different, it is to translate lines of vocabulary, you have an example here where I give a line to translate at an user from Portugal. These lines are used by the algorithm to display fields on the good language. The rest of the work is the translations of the most used items in cycling. It is new and different as we see previous. Maybe I can create a page called translation where I list the two pages of most used items and the fields of vocabulary to translate and then a call can be launch at the community. Jérémy-Günther-Heinz Jähnick (talk) 16:01, 21 November 2016 (UTC)
I create the page d:Wikidata:WikiProject Cycling/Translations of Module:Cycling race to explain at users what types of translations are needed. The work is not so big. Jérémy-Günther-Heinz Jähnick (talk) 17:36, 21 November 2016 (UTC)

WikiMOOCs: translation[edit]

Hi,

Can you mark WikiMOOCs and WikiMOOCs/WikiMOOC 2 Table for translation, please? Thanks!

Best, Jules WMFr (talk) 15:23, 16 November 2016 (UTC)

Sure! I'm actually doing a workshop on how the Translate extension works right now, but I'll fix it later today. (: /Johan (WMF) (talk) 15:48, 16 November 2016 (UTC)
Jules WMFr: Just checking – you need the current state translated? Because it'll be easier to mark it for translation when the page is done (every change will need to be marked for translation), and translators tend to not come back to a page they've already translated, because they dislike to have to do the work again. It could be you're well aware of this and have your reasons and need to be able to translate the current state yourself, but just wanting to make sure I understand you correctly. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 16:31, 16 November 2016 (UTC)
Hmmm, okay, no, the page isn't finished yet. I misunderstood how works translation. I don't really need help from other translators for now; is it possible to only have subpages in different languages with the automatic detection of the user language (like on Wikimédia France & Wikimédia France/fr & Wikimédia France/en)? Jules WMFr (talk) 16:40, 16 November 2016 (UTC)
Kind of – if you have a /fr page, users who have French as their interface language on a multilingual wiki will be redirected there if they follow a link that is in the Special:MyLanguage/Wikimédia France format rather than just Wikimédia France. If there's a way to get them automatically redirected without Special:MyLanguage/, I'm not aware of it. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 17:11, 16 November 2016 (UTC)
Ping Jules WMFr. (: /Johan (WMF) (talk) 17:12, 16 November 2016 (UTC)
Thanks! It answers my question :). Jules WMFr (talk) 17:19, 16 November 2016 (UTC)

No renaming between November 20 and November 27[edit]

Hi,

You’re getting this because you’re a steward or global renamer. The Community Tech team are working on cross-wiki watchlists. We need to add a couple of fields to the localuser table in centralauth database. In order to be able to do this, we’d need to run a script that will get in the way of renaming users. Our apologies – we realize this is getting in the way of your work.

We ask that you do not rename anyone between 00:00 November 20 (UTC) and 00:00 November 27 (UTC).

(UTC means that if you live in the Americas, it will be on the evening or afternoon of November 19 when the script starts running, and if you live in Oceania or eastern Asia, it can be closer midday on November 27 before we can be sure the script is no longer running.)

Phabricator task.

If there are any problems related to this, or you have any questions, please write me on my talk page. /Johan (WMF) (talk) via MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 19:37, 17 November 2016 (UTC)

hi Johan Jönsson , I know i'm late & Voting phase will begins November 28th .can i request for adding my proposal.plz.THANKS.

Hi Johan, now there _is_ a problem: all renaming is still stopped, probably due to a defective script [2] --MBq (talk) 21:09, 5 December 2016 (UTC)
MBq: Thanks, I'll poke relevant folks today. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 08:36, 6 December 2016 (UTC)
Thank you Johan, it's been fixed now :-) --MBq (talk) 05:21, 7 December 2016 (UTC)

Complete Reliability/Factual Accuracy Solution[edit]

  • Problem: Wikipedia acknowledges that the encyclopedia should not be used as a primary source for research, either academic or informational. According to Academics [3][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] & Harvard [10] ,Carleton [11],livescience [12] ,forbos [13],guardian [14] ,nature [15] wikipedia articles are "not enough RELIABLE" for academic research/study.some educational institutions have banned it as a primary source while others have limited its use to only a pointer to external sources. [16] [17] [18]. And there is "Lack of methodical fact-checking "...Inaccurate information that is not obviously false may persist in Wikipedia for a long time before it is challenged. [19] .. For a list of hoaxes that have occurred on Wikipedia, see Wikipedia:List of hoaxes on Wikipedia .
  1. Accuracy is the biggest problem about Wikipedia . Anyone can add subtle nonsense  or erroneous information to articles that can take weeks, months or years to be detected and removed (which has been happening since at least 2002). Deliberate hoaxes can also be perpetrated.
  2. Even unregistered users are capable of this. For example, some one can just come and edit this very page and put in "khats r four doughs onlee" or add mention of some unrelated topic: ===like how great pineapple pizza is===
  3. Dross can proliferate, rather than become refined, as rhapsodic authors have their articles revised by ignorant editors.
  • Who would benefit: all wiki reader & editor . 18 billion user every month . pageview 18 billion every month.[20][21][22]
  • Proposed solution:I have a five step solution .

1.(Easy reporting): by Making it much easier for people to report "factual accuracy", misinformation faster. google,google news,facebook [23] ,twitter,bing everyone have a interactive reporting & feedback system .We can have a interactive reporting in wikipedia similar to google feedback [24] (with screenshot ; highlight issue in "yellow" & Black out private information private information) for highlighting a specific block/line . In wikipedia articles , we can have a [Report] link in every section ,beside [Edit] link . In reporting , there should have features for adding ,section dispute template & inline dispute template with Citation needed template & Accuracy disputes category., There are several noticeboards (for  inaccurate content  &  factual inaccuracy) at which accuracy disputes may be listed to gain the views of other editors, particularly the Dispute resolution , Fringe theoriesreliable sourcesno original researchneutral point-of-view, Conflict of Interest and biographies of living persons noticeboards.All report should go there or open a request for mediation (RFM) & Requests for Comment . some report should go here and here.In this way, we have a possibility  to get 18 billion "factual accuracy" report in every month :) . [25][26][27]

2.(Algorithm): Leverage algorithms and artificial intelligence.Stronger detection Algorithm .Facebook already using machine learning—different algorithms than the ones that drive the Trending section—to try and catch misinformation on the platform . We can have a Algorithm similar to google,facebook [28] [29][30] [31] [32] [33] & twitter  [34] fake news algorithm .When a user create a article with Factual Accuracy/misinformation,claim,Fringe theories , original research ; without proper citation ; then the Algorithm should automatically add section dispute template & inline dispute template with Citation needed template & Accuracy disputes category. ...from reliable sources guideline , we can create a algorithm for "cross check ". when a editor insert a citation then it & will automatically start cross-checking the content with other similar reliable source & will create a " reliability meter ".

3.(Third party verification): Over the last several years, fact checking has come into its own. Led by many respected fact checking organizations like the International Fact-Checking Network, rigorous fact checks are now conducted by more than 100 active sites, according to the Duke University Reporter’s Lab. They collectively produce many thousands of fact-checks a year, examining claims around urban legends, politics, health, and the media itself. Google added a fact check tag on Google News in order to display articles that contain factual information next to trending news items.[35].Facebook using snopes [36] .snopes.com is a well-known resource for validating and debunking such stories in American popular culture, receiving 300,000 visits a day. [37] The Reporters’ Lab at Duke University maintains a database managed by Mark Stencel and Bill Adair of fact checking organizations. The database tracks more than 100 non-partisan organizations around the world. Articles are also examined based upon whether the site examines transparency of sources and methods, tracks political promises, examines all parties and sides, and examines discreet claims and reaches conclusions.

4.(User Right): We can have a user right group "Fact Checker". This user group will have some expertise & tools .Or, this right can be added to Admin group. they will get notified , when point 1.(Easy reporting) will happen , mainly for goodA ,GA &  B  articles. They will try to solve Factual Accuracy from these category as much as they can .

5.(reliability meter): in visual editor cite templates , we can add reliability meter . from the help of point 2.(Algorithm) ; every reader will see "reliability meter " , when they click in the "citation " & in "REFERENCES" .there is third party databases [38] [39] [40] [41] or we can create our own . when Reliability/Accuracy 100-81% ; we will see Red dot . when Reliability/Accuracy 80-61% ; we will see Red dot . when Reliability/Accuracy 60-50% ; we will see Red dot .

  • More comments:
  • Phabricator tickets:
  • Proposer:--- md masum (talk) 17:38, 26 November 2016 (UTC)
    Community discussion:
Hi - as MusikAnimal said on his page, it's too late to post a new proposal now. But your proposal about 360 photos is there, and we'll start getting votes in a couple days. Thanks! -- DannyH (WMF) (talk) 19:22, 26 November 2016 (UTC)

Holidays[edit]

Anyone writing on my tak page: I'm on vacation over the holidays. I'll be back on January 3. I'll be editing the wikis, but only as User:Julle, so anything you want me to do in my WMF role will have to wait until January. If it is more urgent than so:

Have a nice couple of weeks! /Johan (WMF) (talk) 16:51, 16 December 2016 (UTC)

When back: Update Community Tech. /Julle (talk) 20:52, 17 December 2016 (UTC)
Also check Phab for pings. /Julle (talk) 21:21, 19 December 2016 (UTC)

dear john[edit]

i am helping in the hebrew wiki. my idea - each language wiil have ambasador so if there is a mistake he would get the info about it direct in his disc. page.

all the best and thanks for your work.

Hi, I'm not quite sure I get the context of this message. (: /Johan (WMF) (talk) 07:42, 18 January 2017 (UTC)
if something went wrong in the translation of the thech news there will be for each language an ambasador that will get the info about the mistak. thanks for your time.

Tech news watchlist[edit]

Hi. Every week I should remember to include the new tech news issue to my watchlist. I believe the better way is if you'll spent ten seconds once a week to create a continuos watchlist entry for everyone who wants to be involved in the tech news editing, so you'll get regularly more reviewers. What do you think? IKhitron (talk) 00:50, 21 February 2017 (UTC)

IKhitron: What do you think about adding Tech/News/Next to your watchlist? It's the page that gets updated as soon as there's a the new issue has been initiated. Would that work for your purposes? /Johan (WMF) (talk) 09:40, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
I know about it. But still, I need add a new page every week. IKhitron (talk) 12:26, 21 February 2017 (UTC)
IKhitron: I'm not sure I quite get what you want me to do, exactly, to create this watchlist entry (maybe I'm missing something) but would this work for your purposes? User:Johan (WMF)/Tech News watchlist contains the (at least in the current format, but I see no reason to change that) the pages of all issues for the next three years; anyone who wants can add them to Special:EditWatchlist/raw. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 12:27, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
Of course, everyone can. I'm asking you to add to all users that have tech news 8 in their watchlist, also the tech news 9. Meaning, you are editing their watchlists, not them. IKhitron (talk) 12:30, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
IKhitron: Ah, right. That explains the confusion. I can't access other users' watchlists, I'm afraid, so I don't really see a good way of doing that. Unless I'm missing something? /Johan (WMF) (talk) 12:53, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
Face-smile.svg You can do it. It's a bug. Or undocumented future. Peek one. When you are starting the tech news 9, you create a new page. Instead, move tech news 8 to a new name of unexisting page, tech news 9, and immediately return it back. As a result, you have tech news 8 as was, and tech news 9 as a redirect to tech news 8. Open it for editing, and delete the redirect line. That's all. Five seconds at most. But tech news 8 watchers list is preserved in tech news 9 now. IKhitron (talk) 12:58, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
Ah, right. Yeah, the only documentation I've ever stumbled upon about that is a comment I saw on a Village Pump maybe back in 2007 or so. (:
I'd still prefer if people who wanted to watch every issue added that list I created, though. Not to save me time – it would be a rather insignificant part of the workflow, so it doesn't matter much – but because we can't assume people who watch one issue want to continue watching Tech News as such, rather than that specific issue, and it would feel rather rude to kidnap their watchlist for the foreseeable future, so to speak. I can imagine some editors would feel their control of their watchlist had been invaded and that they hadn't signed up for Tech News forever. (I, of course, would want as many as possible to watch every issue, but I'm biased.) I could see how this would make some people rather irritated – not that removing it is a big thing, but because they'd feel that no one else should purposefully mess with their watchlist from the very beginning.
Is there a good reason why adding that list and how to use it to the documentation and mention it on wikitech-ambassadors-l, translators-l and Talk:Tech/News wouldn't do the job? /Johan (WMF) (talk) 15:53, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
No matter how we end up doing it, though, making sure there's an easy way to watch all issues of Tech News was something we should already have been doing – thank you for pointing it out. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 15:56, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
Sorry, didn't understand the middle part. About your answer - I see. So if you'll be so kind to spent 15 seconds instead five, there is a solution. IKhitron (talk) 15:58, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
Let me rephrase it: I am not sure everyone would be happy if I mess with their watchlists. This way, you can't watch Tech News one specific week without someone (typically me) moving that watchlist entry from week to week. Watchlists are private, so I suspect some editors would be upset or angry, since they did not sign up themselves. This is why I would like a solution (for example the one I linked above, with the list of issues over the next three years) where those who watch future Tech News items have specifically signed up to do so. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 17:54, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
Exactly. So I suggested to create a feature that anyone can opt in any minute if he wants to be regular, and opt out if does not. You do not force anyone. IKhitron (talk) 17:56, 22 February 2017 (UTC)
Ah, I think I understand you better now: There's one page you watch, and then you move that one page every time? That makes more sense. I thought we were talking about moving Tech News 8 to Tech News 9 to Tech News 10 etc. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 18:08, 23 February 2017 (UTC)
I was, but you explained it's bad, and I changed the scenario as explained below. IKhitron (talk) 18:10, 23 February 2017 (UTC)
Hmmm, jumping in... I do like the idea of helping interested people, to keep the latest-issue on their watchlists. I don't think anyone would strongly object, given the clear benefits.
However, I do wonder if there's a cleaner way to do it...?
I don't think the Wikidata or Signpost systems would work for us, because we need to worry about translation sub-pages, but just in case, here's how they work: Both Wikidata newsletter and the Signpost (1 section), compose their next editions on a static page. Once completed, Wikidata just cuts & pastes the text to an archive (e.g.), and the Signpost page-moves the entire page each edition (e.g.).
In summation, if Ikhitron's method is technically practical, I think it is socially acceptable, and that we should try it for a week or two, and see if there are any problems. HTH. Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 18:04, 23 February 2017 (UTC)
I still didn't tell what is my method, Quiddity. What I wanted to suggest to Johan, is someyhing like this:
  • There will be a new page, Tech news/watchlist or something.
  • Doesn't matter what will be in it.
  • Everyone who wants to opt in will add it once to his watchlist.
  • Everyone who wants to quite will remove it fron her list.
  • Every week this page will be moved to the new tech news page.
  • It contents will be replaced with the new issue.
  • The list itself will be every time the redirect to the new issue, but again, it does not matter.
IKhitron (talk) 18:09, 23 February 2017 (UTC)
So, having thought about it – the thing that worries me about this is that it's yet another piece of instructions, something that makes it yet more complicated to write Tech News and make mistakes more likely, especially if one doesn't do it every week. Trizek, Quiddity, what's your reaction, as the ones who usually have to step in when I'm not writing it?
Everyone: Should we test it and see how it goes for a while without broadcasting it too much? Or is there a better way? IKhitron is totally right that there should be some easy way to watch the individual issues. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 12:17, 3 March 2017 (UTC)
Trizek, Quiddity, opinions? How complicated do you feel it is with the number of steps in Tech News when you have to take over without being used to them? /Johan (WMF) (talk) 18:01, 3 April 2017 (UTC)
If I understand correctly, the only difference to the current process, is changing steps 3 and 4 on Friday (Tech/News/Manual). I think it's as simple as: (A) page-move the "Tech/News/Next" redirect to it's new destination each week, (B) manually copy&pasting the wikitext contents of Tech/News/init to that new destination (replacing the current step#3), and (C) tell everyone to watchlist "Tech/News/Next". --- [Or something like that. Basically I'm trying to re-use an existing page, instead of creating a new page.]
TLDR: If you can document the steps clearly, I can follow the directions! :-) Quiddity (WMF) (talk) 18:24, 3 April 2017 (UTC)
I'm like Quiddity in an "if I understand correctly" process. If it is documented clearly, I'll be able to follow the instructions. However, I'm still thinking that editing the raw watchlist to watch all weeks at once is easier. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 08:55, 4 April 2017 (UTC)

Tech news[edit]

Hi. Yesterday news includes {{CURRENTCONTENTLANGUAGE}}, as non existing template. IKhitron (talk) 16:06, 7 March 2017 (UTC)

Template:CURRENTCONTENTLANGUAGE you mean? It's been in every issue for a couple of months now? Or am I misunderstanding you?
Is the issue here that it's been included when the newsletter has been delivered? If so, has it created any problems? /Johan (WMF) (talk) 16:18, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
It's an enwiki template? So what does it do in hebrew translation? IKhitron (talk) 16:21, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
No, it's a Meta template. We us it to spare the translators the work of having to translate the dates. It would be possible to remove it when sending out the translations, but it wouldn't just take extra time, it would also increase the risk of mistakes when I (or whoever delivers Tech News) edit languages where I'm not even familiar with the scripts – I wouldn't be able to tell if I did something wrong. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 16:28, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
At least in our wiki, non existing template is a bug. IKhitron (talk) 16:32, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
Well, the potential solutions I see are these:
  • Go back to manual translation of all dates (possible but probably not very popular with the translators).
  • Asking Hebrew translators to remove the templates and do manual translations of dates (pretty much like how it was a couple of months ago; you just glance at the code to get the dates, e.g. write "8 March" instead of {{#time:j xg| 2017-03-08|{{CURRENTCONTENTLANGUAGE}}}}).
  • Manually removing it (not really an option, I'd say – it'd take a lot of time each week and probably cause mistakes on a regular basis; a workflow that demands editing in languages one doesn't know is a bad workflow).
If there's a good, simple solution which would remove the template without causing more work for the translators or adding more mistakes to the translations, I don't see it. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 16:49, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
What about subst? IKhitron (talk) 16:51, 7 March 2017 (UTC)
Johan? IKhitron (talk) 19:48, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
Looking into it for this issue. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 19:49, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
If I subst: it in the original, it doesn't work for the translation, as far as I can tell (tested now, should have realized what would happen, I suppose). What happened was that when subst:ed, {{CURRENTCONTENTLANGUAGE}} gave en for the original (of course), which was then kept for the translations as well, which would make them use English words instead. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 21:12, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
Or did you mean some other way? /Johan (WMF) (talk) 21:13, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
This was one of the options. The other one is even much less possible, usage of "broken" subst. For example sub<noinclude>-</noinclude>st:. Or includeonly instead of noinclude, depends of how do you use it. IKhitron (talk) 21:21, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
Well, Johan, thank you very much for the try, but can you return to the previous code, please? It includes all the talk pages to the script error tracking category. What do you think about this solution: create a new redirection on meta, Template:Tech news language, pointing to the current... template. It's a name good enough, so it's possible to create an empty template on local wiki. IKhitron (talk) 20:48, 13 March 2017 (UTC)
Sorry. That was not the plan, no. I'll look into it (hopefully this week – if not because I'm travelling, with less time for Tech News). /Johan (WMF) (talk) 14:09, 14 March 2017 (UTC)
Thank you very much, IKhitron (talk) 14:12, 14 March 2017 (UTC)

Refs[edit]

Hi. Could you talk with somebody that worked on the references columns issue? I can be wrong, but looks that simplifying changed the meaning. IKhitron (talk) 18:17, 9 March 2017 (UTC)

Hi! I changed it so I could ping someone on IRC and ask if it still made sense. (: /Johan (WMF) (talk) 18:20, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
It will be very good, thanks. IKhitron (talk) 18:22, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
Anyway, thank you, any suspicion that I've misunderstood something is worth acting on – far better doing so while Tech News is still a draft, than when it has been delivered. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 18:23, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
It could be worth mentioning that "simplifying" may have been the wrong word – I sort of rewrote it using the information available in the Phab ticket. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 23:51, 9 March 2017 (UTC)

Översättningsmeddelande: Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2017/Toolkit/Discussion Coordinator Role[edit]

Hej Johan (WMF)!

Du får detta e-postmeddelande för att du registrerade dig som översättare i svenska på Meta.

Sidan Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2017/Toolkit/Discussion Coordinator Role finns tillgänglig för översättning. Du kan översätta den genom att klicka på följande länk:

Prioriteten för denna sida är medel.


Din hjälp är mycket uppskattad. Översättare som du hjälper Meta att fungera som en verkligt flerspråkig nätgemenskap.

Du kan ändra dina aviseringsinställningar här.

Tack!

Översättningssamordnarna på Meta‎, 23:33, 9 March 2017 (UTC)

Översättningsmeddelande: Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2017/Process/Briefing[edit]

Hej Johan (WMF)!

Du får detta e-postmeddelande för att du registrerade dig som översättare i svenska på Meta.

Sidan Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2017/Process/Briefing finns tillgänglig för översättning. Du kan översätta den genom att klicka på följande länk:

Prioriteten för denna sida är medel.


Din hjälp är mycket uppskattad. Översättare som du hjälper Meta att fungera som en verkligt flerspråkig nätgemenskap.

Du kan ändra dina aviseringsinställningar här.

Tack!

Översättningssamordnarna på Meta‎, 22:19, 10 March 2017 (UTC)

Unavailable[edit]

Anyone writing on my tak page: I'm unavailable next week and back on March 28. Maybe I will even succeed to take a proper wiki-break, we'll see. Anyway, I'll respond to questions and requests towards the end of this month. If it can't wait:

Week 15 newsletter: Two parts incomplete in translation[edit]

Hello, Johan, I just came by and done translated newsletter #15. Those two parts I kept blank, actually with "j". Hope I didn't mess things up. Cheers, Translations:Tech/News/2017/15/41/ja. Translations:Tech/News/2017/15/20/ja --Omotecho (talk) 15:04, 7 April 2017 (UTC)

Omotecho: Much appreciated, thank you very much! Those two items are a bit more difficult, but the point with the code is to save them in the translation memory so it'll be easier the next time. I could fix them myself, actually, because they had been done before. (Well, assuming the previous translation was correct, that is ...) You can see what I did. (: /Johan (WMF) (talk) 15:27, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
Confirmed, brilliant! Finished the last one, Translations:Tech/News/2017/15/48/ja Please check, thank you. Cheers, and (I hope) you will have a great weekend. ;-) ----Omotecho (talk) 16:51, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
Thanks, same to you. (: /Johan (WMF) (talk) 17:23, 7 April 2017 (UTC)

latest Tech News[edit]

Hi Johan, I hope it doesn't cause problems if I make this change: https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tech/News/2017/17&diff=16632778&oldid=16622599. It's not critical, but it does help to reflect the actual status of things. Feel free to undo this change if it causes you trouble. This, that and the other (talk) 13:40, 24 April 2017 (UTC)

It's already in production? No, that's OK. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 13:46, 24 April 2017 (UTC)
I really want to avoid any major changes in the newsletter after it's gone out to the translators, both because if we can get it out next week in twenty languages instead of this week in one, that's often more helpful, and because the translators deserve to translate the newsletter as it's going to be delivered and we should respect their work. But a small change of how something is phrased to better reflect something that happened in between it's finalised and delivered can make more sense even if it's just reflected in a few of the languages. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 13:52, 24 April 2017 (UTC)
Hi. Johan (WMF), maybe it's better to move the subpage from changes this week to recent changes? It will not need any translators actions. IKhitron (talk) 14:00, 24 April 2017 (UTC)
Makes sense. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 14:12, 24 April 2017 (UTC)

Tech News[edit]

Hey Johan,

Is Tech/News/2017/22 already ready to be sent, or can I still add an info?

Thanks, Lea Lacroix (WMDE) (talk) 11:42, 30 May 2017 (UTC)

Hi, Lea, it was published 12 hours ago, and anyway, new items should be there until Friday, for the translators. IKhitron (talk) 11:45, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
OK thanks. As I didn't receive it on my talk page, I thought by chance I had more time. Then I'll add my info on /23 :) Lea Lacroix (WMDE) (talk) 11:50, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
Actually, Lea, if you are speaking, about that, I didn't either. I just saw the bot started running at the time I mentioned. Maybe there was a bug in the bot? Johan and User:Quiddity? IKhitron (talk) 11:53, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
Huh. No, you're right, the MassMessage logs show no successfully delivered newsletter to the actual list, just to the test lists. I don't know if this is a bug or human error on my side – could have been as simple as me having network issues and not noticing it hadn't actually been delivered because it was late and I was tired. I'll try again right now. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 12:16, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
It's been properly delivered now. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 12:18, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
Yay, thanks :) Lea Lacroix (WMDE) (talk) 12:40, 30 May 2017 (UTC)
Lea: Following up on this – generally, unless it is in the "oh the wikis are breaking and we need to get the word out" category, everything after the issue has been sent out to the translators on Friday will be bumped to the next issue, or the translators won't have time to translate. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 16:15, 30 May 2017 (UTC)

Events calendar/about[edit]

Hi Johan,

Can you mark Events calendar/about for translation please :)? I need to translate it in French.

Kind regards, Jules WMFr (talk) 10:10, 12 June 2017 (UTC)

Jules WMFr: Sure, will do in an hour or so. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 11:51, 12 June 2017 (UTC)
Done. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 13:25, 12 June 2017 (UTC)

Reply "Tech News"[edit]

Hi Johan, yes it was a mistake, thanks for the correction ;). --Freeezer (talk) 22:37, 6 July 2017 (UTC)

Breaking news[edit]

Hi. It's no so late. What about adding into recent changes the message you removed a couple of weeks ago, about "somebody tries to login to my account" notifications? IKhitron (talk) 16:54, 18 August 2017 (UTC)

Somebody added this. What about the new Linter category? IKhitron (talk) 21:28, 18 August 2017 (UTC)
Sorry for the late reply, for once I've only been editing with my normal, non-WMF account over the weekend (including Friday evening). Since they weren't included in the translations (and it doesn't break anything important that's working at the moment), I'll move it to next week. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 11:53, 21 August 2017 (UTC)

Contacting the WMF Legal department[edit]

I am contacting you because you are listed as a Community Liaison.

I am putting together a proposal at User:Guy Macon/Proposals/CAPTCHA (part of a series of proposals at User:Guy Macon/Proposals).

In my opinion, the next logical step is to inform someone at the WMF legal department. My problem is that there does not appear to be any noticeboard associated with the WMF legal department and every member of the WMF legal department appears to have a user talk page that cannot be edited.

I am unwilling to use email or post to a mailing list because I want everything involved with my proposals to be open and accessible through the history of the page where the discussion occurred. Can you suggest a way that I can contact legal regarding this matter? -Guy Macon (talk) 17:37, 19 August 2017 (UTC)

Hi Guy Macon, I see that Jalexander-WMF has replied to your question regarding this. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 11:52, 21 August 2017 (UTC)

Wikibase[edit]

Hi. Are you here? IKhitron (talk) 12:49, 24 August 2017 (UTC)

IKhitron: Yes. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 12:50, 24 August 2017 (UTC)
Is there a chance you missed my tagging in wikibase? IKhitron (talk) 12:52, 24 August 2017 (UTC)
Are you referring to phab:T170039#3545689? Saw that now that you asked. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 12:55, 24 August 2017 (UTC)
Yes, great, thanks. IKhitron (talk) 12:56, 24 August 2017 (UTC)

RTL problem[edit]

Hi. I think this page should be RTL: Talk:Tech/News/Reader feedback/2017, when coming from RTL pages. Meaning, the preload parameter should be different. IKhitron (talk) 14:32, 3 September 2017 (UTC)

And also, for all - preview on start, if possible, and I think it is. IKhitron (talk) 14:33, 3 September 2017 (UTC)
Ping Trizek. IKhitron: OK, I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for pointing it out, I'd completely missed that fact (as so often when it comes to RTL ...).
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "preview on start" – anyone coming to the questions should see them in preview mode? /Johan (WMF) (talk) 22:06, 3 September 2017 (UTC)
Thank you. Yes. There is a preference like this, it's always on for me - when opening a page for editing, the preview button is always "like" pressed. The questions will be much more readable. IKhitron (talk) 22:40, 3 September 2017 (UTC)
IKhitron, do you have the name of this preview preference? I don't see it in the gadgets lists.
Concerning RTL/LTR, there the magic word {{DIRMARK}}, but it requires to warp the message with <div>s. This may be very confusing for people who reply to the questionnaire. I would advice to wrap the feedback received afterwards. In the mean time, I've added a parameter to force the interface to be displayed in the language used by the reader. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 07:56, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
@Trizek (WMF):, it's preferences -> editing -> show preview on first edit. About rtl, I understand that it's too much to bother for something that will work just a week, but it's so painful to work like this. Maybe we should find a solution, use it and also document it, for future cases. IKhitron (talk) 10:46, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
Thanks IKhitron. I've enabled the preference, but I don't see any change: I still have my preview where it is, so I don't get the impact of this function.
I keep in mind we need to have a solution, and when found, apply and document it. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 11:02, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
Well, Trizek (WMF), it should not change the questionnarie, just to show you how it looks in the regular page. If you agree to set it here, I made a little edit in your page, what do you think?
About the second issue, pity. IKhitron (talk) 12:25, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
Thank you for the edit, IKhitron. I've however removed it, just to avoid confusion between the normal process (a page using wikitext that you can preview) and this unexpected preview.
About the second issue, I'm still looking for a solution. I don't give up! ;) Trizek (WMF) (talk) 13:50, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
Sorry, Trizek (WMF), I don't understand, what's wrong in it? It's exactly as it should be for readability. IKhitron (talk) 13:51, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
Maybe I didn't explain well? Because there was a problem in the code, I fixed it, and expected you to mark it for translation, not to remove. IKhitron (talk) 13:59, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
What you've done is forcing preview. I don't think it is a good idea, because it is not the expectation. Trizek (WMF) (talk) 14:15, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
Expectation of whom, Trizek (WMF)? I belive the people expect to see the questions on the web page, not in the editor. How can it destroy something? IKhitron (talk) 14:17, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
Expectation of any editor who has seen an unstructured discussion talk page: you are not supposed to have a preview by default, don't you? This may also confuse people with a narrow screen: "ok, I see the questions, but what now?".
Based on my experience as a volunteer, where I've created an help desk with prefilled questions, the best way to get replies it to prefill the editor. Have the questions duplicated, both in the header and the editor is confusing because of redundancy, have only the questions in a kind of header is the perfect way not to have replies, have the questions on the page before will get people to copy them.
If only we had a micro-survey service! :) Trizek (WMF) (talk) 14:31, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
Well, I'm surprised that there is somebody who does not use the force preview in preferences. I still don't understand you, and I'm sure you are wrong, but you are the boss, so I give up. Thank you and sorry for the time I spent you. See you next fight :-) Trizek (WMF). IKhitron (talk) 14:37, 4 September 2017 (UTC)
Having tested it on a small screen, I agree with Trizek (WMF) that if you're used to editing but are not used to forced previews, there's a fair risk you don't even understand you're already editing. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 16:34, 4 September 2017 (UTC)

Newsletter[edit]

Hi, Johan. I saw many people that like to read the tech news, but don't want them to take a lot of place on their talk pages. So they come sometimes to community page that is subscribed and read, and sometimes they don't, and miss the info. Did you think about an option to open mediawiki newsletter, so they will get an alert about every new issue? It does not helping to people like us, that know exactly when the new issue comes, but can help to many others. I alredy done such a thing for our local wiki news project I manage, and people continue to subscribe. IKhitron (talk) 18:20, 7 September 2017 (UTC)

I was about to say that I've been thinking about it, but that would have been a lie. A more honest description is that I've thought "we should look into whether we can use this for Tech News somehow" and then not had time to come further. But I want to see if we can use it, too. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 18:27, 7 September 2017 (UTC)
Very well. Maybe you'll decide it's good. Maybe you should ask the 6th question, would you subscribe to such a thing? And maybe you can start that as a pilot, and check the number of subscribers after, say, one month. If there are 10 - you'll stop this. If 100 - you will not. IKhitron (talk) 18:30, 7 September 2017 (UTC)
Ping Qgil – do you have any comments regarding how we could use the extension in Tech News, if there's anything we should think about that hasn't been mentioned above?
(Ping Trizek and Quiddity too.) /Johan (WMF) (talk) 18:48, 7 September 2017 (UTC)
The idea of using Newsletter for Tech/News (which is hosted in Meta) is blocked at least by Support interwiki links for new Newsletter issues and more ideally by Interwiki support for Newsletter extension. I would wait.--Qgil-WMF (talk) 19:16, 7 September 2017 (UTC)
Why? It should not be interwiki. Here it even better than in my case, because Johan can create a newletter home flow talk page on mediawiki, and just add it's address to his subscribers list, here. IKhitron (talk) 20:38, 7 September 2017 (UTC)

Timeless[edit]

Hi, Johan (WMF). Timeless made some of my gadgets and user scripts disappear. Who should I contact to make a report? Having fun! Cheers! Checkingfax (talk) 10:06, 30 November 2017 (UTC)

Hi Checkingfax! You can create a bug report in Phabricator (if you follow that link, the right project has been added), or write on mw:Skin talk:Timeless. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 13:12, 30 November 2017 (UTC)

Tech News clarification[edit]

Hi! I'm translating Tech News now and there's this sentence I don't understand: Filters on Special:RecentChangesLinked will get the new look similar to on the recent changes page. Recent pages will also get some new features. Which 'recent pages' are you talking about? Is it a Special page or...? Le Loy 23:31, 21 January 2018 (UTC)

That was very badly phrased – it's Special:RecentChangesLinked again, but the item doesn't make that clear. I've updated the text. Thanks for asking and making sure, and my apologies for a badly written item. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 23:34, 21 January 2018 (UTC)
Hi Johan. It was indeed badly phrased, but it is not better now, for my appinion. I can understand from the text now that it's the Special:RecentChanges now. IKhitron (talk) 00:37, 22 January 2018 (UTC)
OK, clarified again. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 10:02, 22 January 2018 (UTC)

Away for a couple of weeks[edit]

I won't be around for a couple of weeks. I'll be back on March 26. If you want to reach me, just write here and I'll reply once I'm back. If you can't wait, you can contact the other liaisons. If it's about Tech News, write on Talk:Tech/News. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 20:55, 9 March 2018 (UTC)

Translation: Community Engagement Insights[edit]

Hi, translation into ja is finished, and can't wait to see the report. Cheers, --Omotecho (talk) 09:22, 7 May 2018 (UTC)

Much appreciated! If this year is anything like last year, going through the replies will take a few months, but that's Edward's area and not mine. (: /Johan (WMF) (talk) 09:28, 7 May 2018 (UTC)
I agree, great we users have both of you which makes waiting a delight! (^o^)Y --Omotecho (talk) 09:37, 7 May 2018 (UTC)

RE:Community Engagement Insights[edit]

I've translated in italian :) Thank you for the notification of the missing translation :)--ƒringio · 11:52, 7 May 2018 (UTC)

Much appreciated! /Johan (WMF) (talk) 12:18, 7 May 2018 (UTC)

Request[edit]

Dear John,
I am an experienced editor with over 2500 edits on article content (most translating) in meta and have created many articles, none of which have been met with objections. Although I mainly work to improve existing articles, I plan to create more articles in the future; I have also become aware of the burden placed on reviewers. I would therefore like be granted translation administrator right so as not to create unnecessary workload for other admins. also I would like to inform you, during last year I was one of the very active members who translated most of the Tech/News to Farsi and also It seems meta has only one translation administrator in Farsi native (Persian) at the moment. Yours faithfully --Déjà vu 23:09, 8 June 2018 (UTC)

Déjà vu: Thanks, and thank you for your translations! I can't grant you translation admin rights, though, that's a Meta community decision. You request it at Meta:Requests for adminship – look through Category:Closed Meta-Wiki requests for translation adminship to see how the process works. (: (I've gone through it myself for my normal account fairly recently.) /Johan (WMF) (talk) 23:16, 8 June 2018 (UTC)
Thank you so much for your help, I made request there. warm regards --Déjà vu 00:14, 9 June 2018 (UTC)

Clearing administrator block from the other server.[edit]

If you wish to upgrade the server, clear the blocks from all accounts so they can have a fresh start and upgradable server. --BenGenius94 (talk) 10:49, 3 September 2018 (UTC)

Hi, I'm not really sure I get the context here. In any case, many accounts and IP addresses are blocked because they are intentionally harming the projects. They insert spam, they vandalise, they remove content just for fun. The Wikimedia volunteer communities take care of curating and protecting the information available here; individual blocks (as opposed to e.g. the technology behind them) are their area more than it is the Wikimedia Foundation's. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 10:58, 3 September 2018 (UTC)

Sorry but my other account is locked due to false reason, as your reply I agreed what you said. By the way there a second option is to check every account to see if a administrator did blocked with discussion can be stay blocked. If there no discussion will revoke the block and have a fresh start regarding it. I thinking you should interview administrator if they do support disability or not. If they didn’t support it, they may be fired because of the disability people. I know you working very hard but you should question all of the administrators that if they can be trusted with the administrator tools and promise not to abuse it in any way. Failing to do so will revoke their administrator and being blocked for a year. MikeJeavon (talk) 22:02, 12 September 2018 (UTC)

Think of the Wikimedia Foundation more like hosts than editors. We develop the encyclopedia, make sure it stays up, we defend it legally. We offer support to the communities, we try to help them, but the decision-making process around these issues is largely theirs. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 22:55, 12 September 2018 (UTC)
The power to block or unblock you lies with the community; I will not meddle. That is not what we do. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 22:56, 12 September 2018 (UTC)

Translation memory recovery[edit]

I have found it much easier to work on translating Tech/News/2018/36, and thank you to recover translation memory or who ever contributed to the update. If it is not fully recovered to show multiple suggestions on the right pane (which I enjoy better tho), and if being appropriate, a note in the next mailing list issue would be quite encouraging. Esp if you have less people on the wagon. (: Cheers, —Omotecho (talk) 18:46, 5 September 2018 (UTC) / defined as “next mailing list” issue. 18:53, 5 September 2018 (UTC)

Thanks, Omotecho. I did that. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 15:52, 6 September 2018 (UTC)

Frozen[edit]

38 is frozen; will consider it for 39 instead.

Is there a reason other than "it's frozen so it's frozen" not to include it in 38? If the translations turn out not to be available on time, I could understand, but that doesn't really get a chance this way.

Other projects should preferably be informed as soon as possible. Alexis Jazz (talk) 20:57, 14 September 2018 (UTC)

Found it. So I was a few hours too late? Sucks. I think it would be better to try and include it in 38 to give other projects as much time as possible to make adjustments. Some may also want to launch their own proposals to line up with Commons, losing a week will really make a difference for those. Alexis Jazz (talk) 21:09, 14 September 2018 (UTC)
Yeah, we're not freezing it on byzantine bureaucratic grounds – we're pretty hard with the deadlines for a reason. I've had translators told me they've quit translating over late additions. Unless something in the newsletter has changed, or it's going to break significant workflows, we don't include them, because the newsletter's ability to function as a tool to reach different Wikimedia communities largely depends on the translators. Without them, our reach is limited to English-speakers.
With that said, Tech News is a technical newsletter aimed at an audience that wants to read about something that has or will change, technically. As I understand your item, it's mainly about licensing policy, which is pretty far from a technical change? Maybe reaching out to the communities in a different way is the best option here – maybe I can try to help you in some way here? Both because non-technical news don't belong in Tech News, and because you shouldn't overestimate this newsletter as a way to reach out with things outside of its focus area. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 19:19, 15 September 2018 (UTC)
Regarding the translators and late additions, I understand that. I had asked Mike Peel how to inform the various projects and he came up with the tech newsletter and didn't know of any other way. I too simply don't know of any other way to get the message out, apart from spamming all the projects by hand. Somehow everyone who operates bots or maintains scripts and tools to move files to Commons should be made aware of this change. And I don't speak every language. Alexis Jazz (talk) 20:07, 15 September 2018 (UTC)
OK, I'll get back to this in a few days and see if I can come up with something better. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 20:40, 15 September 2018 (UTC)
Alexis Jazz: I agree the communities should be aware. My suggestion would be a MassMessage to communities that allow local uploads. I have prepared a message at User:Alexis Jazz/GDFL MassMessage – does it look OK? It's your text, but simplified because not everyone will get a translation.
If you look at Special:ListUsers/massmessage-sender, is there anyone you know who might be able to help you distribute it? If not, I can do it, although I'd really not recommend "try putting it in Tech News and if it doesn't work they'll set this up" as a way to get the news out – it usually doesn't work unless it's actually technical news. (:
If this looks OK, I've set up a distribution list at User:Alexis Jazz/GDFL MassMessage/Distribution. What we need to do with that is to remove the communities that don't use local uploads (or rather: build a list with the ones that do). Could you help with that? In the meanwhile, I'll see if we can get a few translations. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 11:12, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
Thanks! And I'm sorry, I didn't know about MassMessage (not consciously anyway) and I had asked Mike Peel first, the news is partially interesting for tech because bots/scripts may need to be updated. I didn't mean to bug you into setting up a MassMessage, I just didn't know any better. I made some small changes to the message, it looks OK. There are only a few usernames on the massmessage-sender list I even recognize and I doubt any of them know who I am. I'll filter User:Alexis Jazz/GDFL MassMessage/Distribution to only include projects with local uploads enabled, shouldn't take too long. Alexis Jazz (talk) 13:34, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
I wasn't trying to reproach you, just so we're clear, just wanted to avoid disappointment in the future if you told others this had worked for you and then they tried the same thing and I couldn't help them.
Good, I'll mark it for translation and things. (: /Johan (WMF) (talk) 13:38, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
I'll distribute this towards the end of the (working) week. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 13:42, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
Thanks. Face-smile.svg If I would encounter anything like this again, I'll be aware of MassMessage so I won't tell others to bug you with non-technical news. Face-smile.svg I've filtered the list. Took half an hour, partly due to some unexpected spaces. Alexis Jazz (talk) 14:26, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
Excellent. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 14:35, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
The tool actually doesn't say if uploads are enabled only for admins. I should probably also filter the wikis where only admins can upload, do you agree? Alexis Jazz (talk) 14:46, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
That was quite a few. Alexis Jazz (talk) 16:55, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
I know this table is pointless without updates, but anyway. Alexis Jazz (talk) 19:35, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
I've made one more (hopefully final) change to User:Alexis Jazz/GDFL MassMessage/Distribution. It now includes all wikis with more than 15 local files, even if upload is disabled or only for admins. Wikis with local upload enabled but where only admins can upload and less than 15 local files have been removed. Those are usually only historical files or files that require local protection. I also found some odd ducks like yi.wiktionary.org (20 files, local upload disabled, some files may be eligible to be moved to Commons) and is.wikibooks.org (28 files, admin-only upload, some files may be eligible to be moved to Commons). So those are still on the distribution list, they have more than 15 local files. Alexis Jazz (talk) 21:23, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
No worries, I'm not using that list until Thursday at the earliest anyway. We're seeing a few translations come in, and I've fixed all instances of me stumbling on the keyboard and writing GDFL instead of GFDL. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 21:28, 18 September 2018 (UTC)
This has now been distributed. /Johan (WMF) (talk) 18:12, 20 September 2018 (UTC)